Lexus GS- Under Appreciated or not Good Enough

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
In the nostalgia for classic muscle-cars and today's retro-designs, I'd also include the Mustang, Camaro, and, to some extent, the Chevy SS, though the SS admittedly has low production numbers. I would have said the Pontiac GTO, except that it's been out of production for some 7-8 years now, and, with Pontiac's demise, obviously won't be coming back.

All of those are arguably more refined, not as aggressive/hard edged than the Challenger/Charger.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
All of those are arguably more refined, not as aggressive/hard edged than the Challenger/Charger.

Agreed. Oversized/cartoonish is what I see with a touch of retro (ok as rentals for me). I'd gladly take a Mustang over those...

Oh yeah GS. What other improvements might enhance its market share?...

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Oh yeah GS. What other improvements might enhance its market share?...

Aside from the 2016 known and meaningful improvements, there would be as-yet-unknown improvements to the next-gen GS in several years. Also the GS F, like the IS F, and seemingly the RC F, could be updated and improved quite frequently through its life cycle.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Again I have to say it's one of my favorite cars to drive. I truly enjoy getting behind the wheel of our GS F-Sport with optional rear steer....

And the interior is fantastic to this day.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The GS sold over 3k last month and sales were up in 2015 over 2016. The refresh will hit full stride in 2016 so lets see if the GS can keep this pace up!

The sales goal for the GS its first year was 24k and the GS was right at it in 2015, 3 years later!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The GS sold over 3k last month and sales were up in 2015 over 2016. The refresh will hit full stride in 2016 so lets see if the GS can keep this pace up!

The sales goal for the GS its first year was 24k and the GS was right at it in 2015, 3 years later!

yep... GS200t in NA was great decision!

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
December 2015 GS sales (3423 units) seem to reflect new level of appreciation possibly...

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I know this is a really old thread, but I've had two loaner experiences with a GS350 and my impressions were it's too big and both times the car SUCKED gas out of the tank like it was oxygen.
I am and have been a 2 Lexus car house [ES350 & IS250 F Sport] so I'm used to a certain comfort level on fuel economy and performance as a daily driver.
The GS series is a great car, but for someone who must be mindful of the monthly bank note and fuel consumption, I gladly yield the extra horsepower.
If this is in any way indicative of what driving an IS350 would be like on fuel economy, I guess I'm better I always choose an IS250. My two cents.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Circling back here, GS sales have really taken a hit....the car is obviously a bit older but it seems the facelift and new GS 200t haven't done much to help sales...

Reactions
Circling back here, GS sales have really taken a hit....the car is obviously a bit older but it seems the facelift and new GS 200t haven't done much to help sales...
It isn't just the GS, the whole segment is also tanking...facelift or not, less and less buyers want cars.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/09/usa-luxury-car-sales-stats-august-2016-ytd.html#more
USA%2Bluxury%2Bcar%2Bsales%2Bchart%2BAugust%2B2016.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Sad that the IS is getting almost only half of the sales the C-Class and 3-Series gets. Even the Q50 and TLX are above. smh

This is just one month, the IS has outsold the TLX so far..in the past the TL used to outsell the IS...Over ten years ago the TL outsold the ES...Acura really screwed it up since then...

The G37/Q50 usually outsells the IS