Lexus Future Product & Powertrain Megathread (II)

Will1991

Reactions
@mikeavelli , this is how we’re all feeling about you :ROFLMAO:

2cdeed5ce211e29934e405cb8bdb4dd1.jpg

I would say it’s about a TT V8 coming for the LC F :love:

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
What I found on IG.. the GR GT3 is officially badged as a Lexus.. though I'm sure we all basically knew it would. But something tells me Mike saw juicier stuff and I want to know what 😭😭
aerkmgn; dfkljvb;sdljbslkxfj; je;fkljgp ioruytpoijcvkhl ;/sdjfg;l sdfjglkdfcjvbp oxci;hn
woahhhhhhhhhhhhhh good god that's awesome

larryren

Fan
Reactions
Greeting! GAC-Toyota's dealership have been received mass production 380T Highlander(aka. 2L turbo) for sale and display.
Here had two photo for how it look like.

Fuel consumption almost same with Buick's/VW's 2.0T in this vehicle class.
(7.28L/100km for suburban, 10.08L/100km for city and 8.74L/100km for combined)

It is Interesting the engine specification bar code are TM20A, but engraving specification is S20A 😄 IMG_20220915_144823.jpgIMG_20220915_153214.jpgIMG_20220915_144144.jpg

Will1991

Reactions
To me the most interesting part is this one:

Lexus will have one BEV for now, with a second one not due until 2025. Is that enough to keep customers satisfied?

Well, that’s pretty much a confirmation that the Electric Sedan will be the second BEV, and that we should have the RZ450e for MY2023 with the RZ300e coming for MY2024 when the production restrictions are solved:

So you know, we might see some relief fourth quarter of next year. No one knows what normal means anymore, but hopefully we’ll be back to normal as we go into 2024.

Will1991

Reactions
The UX300e isn't available for NA, that's why he says:

Q: How do you see Lexus dealers transitioning to an all-EV lineup? What progress are they making?

A:
They’re in the process of transitioning. They’re working on their infrastructure to prepare themselves for our first BEV, the RZ 450e.

And Lexus hasn't announced the MY2023 UX300e, I'm starting to believe it has been cancelled.

Reactions
With the launch of Gen5 RX500h and upcoming Chinese-market Highlander D-4ST, the puzzle of the 2018 powertrain plans published by Toyota is close to complete. The new TNGA family of powertrains started with the Gen.4 1.8L THS-II in the 2016 Prius, and six years later refresh of the lineup begins with the Gen.5 1.8L THS-II in the 2022 Noah. Note the 3.5L V6-TT hybrid system on the new Tundra/Sequoia is not marketed as a hybrid system, but as an engine option "i-Force Max", presumably because it doesn't offer substantial fuel economy gains.
View attachment 5968
Here is a full table of all powertrain combinations of the TNGA family:
View attachment 5970
There are still a few missing components that are reportedly under development:
1) Longitudinal T24-FTS P2 hybrid system, rumored for next-gen Tacoma/4Runner/LCP/GX.
2) Transverse T24-FTS P2 plug-in hybrid system, rumored for TX550h+.
3) 2.8L I4 twin-turbo diesel, rumored for next-gen Hilux/Fortuner/LCP.
4) F33-FTV P2 hybrid system, rumored for LC300/LX hybrid in diesel markets.
5) Flagship F-car powertrain with plug-in hybrid 4.0L V8-TT engine, rumored for "LFA 2".

And finally, 7 out of the 8 AWD systems have been launched. There is one unknown variant of the Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system yet to be released. It is not DTC/ATC since these are pre-TNGA technologies.
View attachment 5971

On a slightly separate note, I want to know what platform (TNGA) everyone thinks the next generation IS will be built on; I've just been quite curious lately. The -L platform is the only platform that accommodates a longitudinal engine with RWD, however, the wheelbase range of the platform doesn't really suit a compact sedan. I can see a GS being built on the -L platform in the future, though. My only guess is perhaps the IS will be built on the e-TNGA platform as a BEV.

It could be built on the -K platform, however, I don't really think a transversely mounted engine, with FWD (and optional AWD) will suit a compact sedan. Moreover, I don't think Lexus will be able to equip it with the driving characteristics that most drivers would want in a car like the IS.

These are just my thoughts anyway. I'd love to hear what you guys think would be a TNGA platform that the next generation IS could potentially be built on.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Considering the buyer, I would think ES goes hybrid-only for next gen before going full BEV.

2025 could coincide with the end of 3IS production, which was rumored to be 2021 - 2024 model years. A new 2025 IS BEV could be a great vehicle for all global markets.

Everyone, including Lexus, forgets about the LS. That would be the best fit for a new BEV sedan as LS was historically the forerunner of Lexus and the brand is headed towards being all electric... but it's hard to understand their priorities with that car, unfortunately.

Reactions
On a slightly separate note, I want to know what platform (TNGA) everyone thinks the next generation IS will be built on; I've just been quite curious lately. The -L platform is the only platform that accommodates a longitudinal engine with RWD, however, the wheelbase range of the platform doesn't really suit a compact sedan. I can see a GS being built on the -L platform in the future, though. My only guess is perhaps the IS will be built on the e-TNGA platform as a BEV.

It could be built on the -K platform, however, I don't really think a transversely mounted engine, with FWD (and optional AWD) will suit a compact sedan. Moreover, I don't think Lexus will be able to equip it with the driving characteristics that most drivers would want in a car like the IS.

These are just my thoughts anyway. I'd love to hear what you guys think would be a TNGA platform that the next generation IS could potentially be built on.

Now given that the A100 GR Supra and LFA (LFR) are being developed, it looks like they're going to develop an all new platform dubbed as TNGA-A. It should be better than the TNGA-L platform and I suspect that there is a chance that the new IS could ride on that platform if it's not a full-EV.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
My guess is eTNGA 2.0 for 2025 and future Lexus BEVs. eTNGA needs to transition to cell-to-body by 2025, which requires a redesign to the mid-section.

GA-K like GA-C will be modified to E3 platform that allows PHV/BEV variants to be designed easily, although how that could be done is still beyond me.

Now given that the A100 GR Supra and LFA (LFR) are being developed, it looks like they're going to develop an all new platform dubbed as TNGA-A. It should be better than the TNGA-L platform and I suspect that there is a chance that the new IS could ride on that platform if it's not a full-EV.
There will be no platforms for future sports cars. Every one will have custom chassis optimized for a single purpose with motorsports as priority.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Considering the buyer, I would think ES goes hybrid-only for next gen before going full BEV.

2025 could coincide with the end of IS production, which was rumored to be 2021 - 2024 model years. A new 2025 IS BEV could be a great vehicle for all global markets.

Everyone, including Lexus, forgets about the LS. That would be the best fit for a new BEV sedan as LS was historically the forerunner of Lexus and the brand is headed towards being all electric... but it's hard to understand their priorities with that car, unfortunately.
Definitely. ES buyers aren't installing chargers unless lexus makes it super easy