Lexus Files Trademark for UX 300e in Europe

18-12-18-lexus-ux-crossover.jpg

Points to new electric powertrain.
View the original article post

Last edited:

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
Executive Vice President Shigeki Terashi had said at a briefing in Tokyo, Toyota 'll introduce BEV with the following order : China, Japan, India, U.S. and dead last Europe.
Will take very long time to introduce in Europe. Maybe about just before 2025. Who knows.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
Finally, incredibly positive news!
Just hope this is an BEV and not a PHEV...

Looking forward this development.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Executive Vice President Shigeki Terashi had said at a briefing in Tokyo, Toyota 'll introduce BEV with the following order : China, Japan, India, U.S. and dead last Europe.
Will take very long time to introduce in Europe. Maybe about just before 2025. Who knows.

I don't think so. Europeans are more potential buyers than Indians. Could you post source link for this.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
'300' does not automatically mean ICE. It is already a long time that numbers are not equivalent to displacement, but rather power/price hierarchy the powertrains. Look at Audi's new nomenclature where numbers range from 30 to 70 and represent approximate power according to a certain scale. With a more probable future where cars will be ICE, HEV, PHEV, REXEV, BEV and HFCEV, abstract numbers do make sense for customers not to get lost with a wide variety of technically different powertrains. Overall most customers look at power numbers and options, if money is available, they will tend to get the highest/latest number, without really understanding what those numbers represent. Good to see 'e' will be the top version of UX, should their be no UX-F.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
'300' does not automatically mean ICE. It is already a long time that numbers are not equivalent to displacement, but rather power/price hierarchy the powertrains. Look at Audi's new nomenclature where numbers range from 30 to 70 and represent approximate power according to a certain scale. With a more probable future where cars will be ICE, HEV, PHEV, REXEV, BEV and HFCEV, abstract numbers do make sense for customers not to get lost with a wide variety of technically different powertrains. Overall most customers look at power numbers and options, if money is available, they will tend to get the highest/latest number, without really understanding what those numbers represent. Good to see 'e' will be the top version of UX, should their be no UX-F.

Most certainly 300e means full electric vehicle. That means +250hp and +400nm. It's fun to think that 300 could meen the range but it's unlikely. 300km is not good and it would be stupid to use miles (No offence). I think TMC will nail their first BEV since they have experience based on RAV4 EV. Also I hope that next gen NX has full electric option. If the pricing is correct 40-50k euros UX300e will sell like cakes. Compact EV SUV segment is very intresting now with E-Pace and upcoming Infiniti EV SUV. I think we will see UX300e at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 and Geneva 2020 and launching before Tokyo olympics. Toyota has stated that as official Olympics sponsor the event is excellent opportunity to showcase their technology.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Most certainly 300e means full electric vehicle. That means +250hp and +400nm.

300e will definitely not mean 250hp for a BEV. A BEV with that amount of power will carry a 350 or even 400 'displacement equivalence'. It is very likely to use a 142 kW electric motor used by the ix4 EV, and a 190hp motor is about right to be called 'equivalent to 3.0L engine'. The 188hp NX hybrid is called 300h (which is an over-rating, by the way).

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
300e will definitely not mean 250hp for a BEV. A BEV with that amount of power will carry a 350 or even 400 'displacement equivalence'. It is very likely to use a 142 kW electric motor used by the ix4 EV, and a 190hp motor is about right to be called 'equivalent to 3.0L engine'. The 188hp NX hybrid is called 300h (which is an over-rating, by the way).
IS300 and RX300 have almost 240hp and torque of ~350nm. Electrict motor has more torque than turbo and even diesel. IS220d had 400nm of torque.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Although a bit late, I'm very please Lexus is jumping in the electrification bandwagon. No choice to survive...

Now if only they don't forget N.America please!!

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
Maybe it has as much to do with normal-range acceleration as it does with raw power figures. The UX 200 is rated at 8.9s and the 250h at 8.6s 0-60mph. Maybe the "300e" would target the low-8s, whatever power ratings may be required for that. I know it's a very different vehicle, but the ES300h is rated at 8.1s.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

do you mean that they will use exactly the same motor as ix4 or similar?

I agree it will be similar, they will try to limit the power to get more miles out of it... And I dont think it will be anything special when it comes to power/range, they are pretty conservative company.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
'300' does not automatically mean ICE. It is already a long time that numbers are not equivalent to displacement, but rather power/price hierarchy the powertrains. Look at Audi's new nomenclature where numbers range from 30 to 70 and represent approximate power according to a certain scale.

Most certainly 300e means full electric vehicle. That means +250hp and +400nm. It's fun to think that 300 could meen the range but it's unlikely.

My hesitation is this -- the first BEV from Lexus will be a huge deal, and I don't think they want to bury the tech with unnecessary numbers. Every other mass market manufacturer has created a "sub-brand" for their pure electrics, why would Lexus do any different? Something like UX-EV or UX-E makes a bigger impression to me.

That said, I hope I'm wrong.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
It's great that Lexus is expanding by adding an EV variant to the UX line, hopefully Lexus adds more EV's to the rest of the line-up. Lexus seems very slow to expand their line-up.

UX 200 (2.0 liter I4, 168 hp)
UX 250h (2.0 liter I4 hybrid - equivalent to 2.5 liter, 176 hp)
UX 300e (fully electric - equivalent to 3.0 liter, 188-190 hp?)

Looking at the hybridization of the Lexus line most people don't even know Lexus makes let alone has hybrid vehicles. Now that the HS 250h and CT 200h are gone North America only has the ES 300h and LS 500h as hybrid sedans, LC 500h as a hybrid coupe, and UX 250h, NX 300h and RX 450h as hybrid CUV's. Lexus should bring the IS 300h to increase hybrid sedan awareness. Bring in the RC 300h to sit along side the LC 500h.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
My hesitation is this -- the first BEV from Lexus will be a huge deal, and I don't think they want to bury the tech with unnecessary numbers. Every other mass market manufacturer has created a "sub-brand" for their pure electrics, why would Lexus do any different? Something like UX-EV or UX-E makes a bigger impression to me.

That said, I hope I'm wrong.

I agree this could be the plug-in version of the 250h. Considering the 2.0 hybrid system is currently constrained by battery power, a power bump due to a plug-in class battery could be expected. The Prius Prime doesn't get more power than the regular Prius because it's motor constrained.

The more interesting question would then be the battery. Toyota did launch a new 10.5 kWh traction battery made by Panasonic for the ChDM Corolla PHV, and it remains to be seen whether the Prime will receive this upgrade for the facelift.

EDIT: I highlighted the Panasonic part because I previously suspected Toyota sources its Li-ion batteries from an indigenous company, but it seems they are buying from Panasonic's China division. If they could get the latest and greatest from Panasonic then their BEV will be much more promising.

Last edited:

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
I bet the UX 300e will target the Kia Niro EV and I'm expecting something more than 200 hp and a 0-62 mph in less than 8 seconds.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I bet the UX 300e will target the Kia Niro EV and I'm expecting something more than 200 hp and a 0-62 mph in less than 8 seconds.

Not sure what would it have to do with Niro, i guess it is small? Otherwise it is a Lexus, and petrol engine is going to be much stronger than in Niro and also more integrated due to PSD vs dual clutch.

It should be plenty fast if it is plugin with extra 40-50 electric hp... question is how will Lexus utilize it, since so far they only cared about mpg.

@ssun30 if Toyota wanted, Prime could be a lot faster... it uses 71hp from batteries in EV mode, right? While regular Prius uses something like 22hp from batteries? But they focus on MPG, not power so they dont combine the both for maximum acceleration.

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
Not sure what would it have to do with Niro, i guess it is small? Otherwise it is a Lexus, and petrol engine is going to be much stronger than in Niro and also more integrated due to PSD vs dual clutch.
I was talking about the EV Niro, not the hybrid.

I think that the hypotetical EV UX is going to have at least the same power figures of the Niro (wich has more than 200 hp in the all electric model).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I was talking about the EV Niro, not the hybrid.

I think that the hypotetical EV UX is going to have at least the same power figures of the Niro (wich has more than 200 hp in the all electric model).

EV UX will likely same similar numbers to EV CHR, which is around there.... @ssun30 knows it better since it is released in China first.

But this is 99% going to be a PHEV... so 146hp gas engine + around 70hp extra from battery at the same time, hence 300e moniker.