Lexus Dealership or General Mechanic Best for Servicing 2012 RX 350?

Reactions
Just purchased a 2012 RX 350. My previous car was an Xterra & I always went to a trusted general mechanic. Considering my Lexus has higher end tech and functionality, is it best to go to a Lexus dealership for maintenance, service & repairs or should I stick with a general mechanic? If a general mechanic will suffice, should they have any Lexus certifications or other specific qualifications?

I'm hoping a general mechanic is okay as I'm cautious of potentially exorbitant dealership costs. However if it's risky for my car to be serviced by a general (albeit trusted) mechanic, I'll go to a Lexus Service Department. TIA for feedback!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
A lot of people with older Lexus vehicles do tend to take them to a dealership, in part because the dealer service experience is usually very good (there are some exceptions, but typically you get a free loaner vehicle if you need to go, or free food, drinks, and WiFi if you wait).

That said, if you know the mechanic and they do good work, there's no reason not to keep using them.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I prefer the dealership, mostly because they usually get it right the first time and that's worth the extra cost to me. Also, I've been burned by general mechanics too many times -- that definitely colors my decision.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I definitely hear you on that, krew. But good general mechanics are out there. I subscribe to a great YouTube channel called "South Main Auto" where they fix a lot of cars that other general mechanics (and the occasional dealership) gave up on.

Reactions
I prefer the dealership, mostly because they usually get it right the first time and that's worth the extra cost to me. Also, I've been burned by general mechanics too many times -- that definitely colors my decision.

Thanks for your feedback Krew. Much appreciated.

Thinking I may start with a dealership for my first few service visits as I think I'll feel a bit more confident in their work and diagnosis of my used car, even if more costly. Once I know my car better, I may feel comfortable going to a private mechanic and hopefully save a little $.