Lexus CT Lexus CT Owner Blog: Thoughts on Infotainment

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-05-31-lexus-iphone-special-400x200.jpg

My plan for this month’s post on the CT owner’s blog was to sing the praises of the Display Audio controller, the circular dial interface for recent Lexus models without navigation installed.
View the original article post

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus hasn't committed to Apple Car Play or Android Auto, because as Mark Templin mentioned in the podcast, there's no longevity to that. 5 or 10 years down the line for example Android or Apple may hold significantly different positions in the marketplace, and that may significantly impact functionality if Lexus committed to one of these systems. Also as you pointed out krew, many people these days simply connect their phones through the car's audio system, and do most tasks with voice commands.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
On my IS (and prior CT), I do like the precise control of the Display Audio Controller thanks to the defined clicks matching a screen selection while rotating the knob. I use it to browse my MP3s by artist or album as well as for fuel consumption state/history.

288106d1372181472-2014-lexus-is-real-world-photo-thread-2014_is_int1.jpg

However, I feel the DAC is in its final days since Lexus desperately needs to differentiate itself from Toyota (and other entry-brands). Next-gen Lexus models from the CT up should have as standard equipment the latest Enform/Nav and better integration to smart phones.

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
As much as I love Lexus, they need to do something about the infotainment system. Pioneer has the new head units that incorporate Android auto and Car play. Get something like that into our cars! AVIC-8100NEX is an example of the future, which is now.

Reactions
Lexus hasn't committed to Apple Car Play or Android Auto, because as Mark Templin mentioned in the podcast, there's no longevity to that. 5 or 10 years down the line for example Android or Apple may hold significantly different positions in the marketplace, and that may significantly impact functionality if Lexus committed to one of these systems. Also as you pointed out krew, many people these days simply connect their phones through the car's audio system, and do most tasks with voice commands.
That makes a lot of sense, but the thing is that Android Auto or Apple Carplay doesn't need to REPLACE whatever their proprietary infotainment UI is. They are simply add-on's or overlays to the existing system. If you don't plug in your phone, you still have the Lexus Enform UI.

Reactions
Have always thought the weakest area for Lexus cars is the infotainment, I was so happy to hear of the launch of Apple CarPlay and so dissapointed when Lexus weren't going to introduce it - it is actually enough to make me look at other cars.

The beauty of a system like Apple CarPlay is future proof, in fact for the consumer it's the opposite of what Lexus are worried about. No longer do I need to pay money to update my satnav maps, no longer do I buy a car with out of date tech inside as all it requires is updating my phone, no longer do I need to transfer music into the car or deal with connection issues or additional SIMs if you want to enable your car to reach the internet.

Very dissapointed they aren't going witht the tech :(