Lexus Considering Local Manufacturing in India?

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by krew, Aug 1, 2017.

1. krew
    krew Administrator
    Den and Trexus like this.
  2. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    Once the quality is there, localization makes a ton of sense.

Ian Schmidt and Trexus like this.
  3. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    The "Lexus manufacturing in India" rumors are reignited by a Japanese-language Asashi Shimbun article. Fortunately, David Fickling brings us some English-language insight and commentary on the subject in a Bloomberg Gadfly column titled A Passage to India for Lexus.

Here are its most pertinent highlights:

4. spwolf
    People who follow how TMC works, especially with regards to Lexus, know that this is a no story at all. They basically have minimal sales in India, and Indian market is focused on lower end vehicles with no sight of change.

I understand that India wants to be like China, but it is not there, it is not even getting there so all this stories about EVs in India or Lexus in India is just nonsense.

5. krew
    krew Administrator
  6. mediumhot
    India is a smart player in current global market. They put hefty taxes on imports just to tell you hey you better invest in here and then you are welcome to grab piece of the pie. That's how you build up industry in your country. Hopefully they have a plan how to contain the population and increase life quality of it's citizens. I've never seen so many homeless people like I've seen in India.