Lexus Buyers Rank Spindle Grille as Second Most Appealing Feature

RAL

Reactions
Over the Christmas holiday I was at a family gathering. David said to me, "I like your new car (the IS) but, the front end is just a little too aggressive for me ..."

hmmmm ... David is in his late 60's

Reactions
While I'm not the hugest fan of the grill, the evidence seems legit!

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-lexus-spindle-grille-is-actually-totally-fine-for-l-1795133176
If you look at the corresponding years of when the spindle grille appeared on different Lexus models, the only year that sales dipped was from 2015 to 2016. We’ll see how 2017 shapes up, but that 83,961 is year-to-date through April. Multiplying that by 3 to give a yearly number yields only 251,883, but over time, the biggest sales months for Lexus tend to be, yes, November and December with those goddamned big red bows. May through August are also bigger than the earlier parts of the year. So we’ll see. But if there’s a decline in 2017, that’s probably more a symptom of an overall decline in the overall car sales market this year than a shrinking of Lexus market share.

Which is all to say, in spite of alienating many non-Lexus buyers, the spindle grille is either not stopping Lexus buyers, or possibly converting more people into Lexus buyers.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And that is indeed the case. The spindle grille is the single most effective thing Lexus has done to prevent (literally) dying buyer demographics. With an average buyer age of less than 35 Lexus is the healthiest luxury brand in China. Young middle class couples pour into Lexus dealerships to get the 'concept car-looking NX'. The average in USA should still be above 50 but we should expect a downward shift.

That being said, Volvo managed to do the same without an overly aggressive design.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
And that is indeed the case. The spindle grille is the single most effective thing Lexus has done to prevent (literally) dying buyer demographics. With an average buyer age of less than 35 Lexus is the healthiest luxury brand in China. Young middle class couples pour into Lexus dealerships to get the 'concept car-looking NX'. The average in USA should still be above 50 but we should expect a downward shift.

That being said, Volvo managed to do the same without an overly aggressive design.

there is indeed a shift downward across Toyota and Lexus lineup, including the Camry, and this is why they keep doing it...