Lexus Automated Driving Technology

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by krew, Sep 28, 2017.

1. krew
    krew Administrator
    Den and Trexus like this.
  2. spwolf
    video is very nice and a good view... basically expect worldwide auto-driving to some level by 2021.

3. Tragic Bronson

Den likes this.
  4. maiaramdan
    So which vehicle will have this system

5. krew
    krew Administrator
  6. ssun30
    I have always failed to understand why they would use their most expensive car as the platform. They could save so much money by buying back used Prii. In the end all they need is a sensor carrier with enough power generation. Even if they need the largest vehicle to represent a worst case scenario they could just modify used RX hybrids.
    In fact, it bugs me why the autonomous vehicle industry as a whole use expensive platforms while there are plenty of used Toyota hybrids lying around. They need very large fleets (thousands or even tens of thousands) to gather the data to train the AI, and $100k cars aren't the most economical.

7. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    I totally agree with your comments, but would point out (as you noted) that "the autonomous vehicle industry as a whole use expensive platforms". The carmakers currently selling semi-autonomous vehicles (GM and VAG) are offering the option on their most expensive models (Cadillac CT6 and Audi A8), so it may be a simple matter of Toyota expecting to launch consumer versions of their Guardian and Chauffeur suite of semi-autonomous features on the Lexus LS. Also, the Toyota Global Newsroom release announcing the TRI-P4 automated driving test vehicle doesn't say how many copies will be made for testing.

Perhaps Ford is being smarter on this, since I often see their semi-automated Ford Fusions (as opposed to Lincoln Continentals) driving around my Miami hometown.

8. Will1991
    There's something that always bugged me on autonomous vehicles.... Wille Tesla believes it can do the job without expensive sensors, all the rest of the industry is using some lidar sensors and a lot more cameras... Toyota is even using thermal image cameras...

9. ssun30
    Tesla is wasting their data-gathering advantage by not integrating LIDAR and Musk WILL pay for his stubbornness or eat his own words. Data gathering is one thing, but it is really how effectively you use these data to train the AI that matters.

I really like how TRI is incorporating more sensors to the package to further boost information variety. Sensor fusion is a powerful performance multiplier and the more variety you gather the better the quality of the data (best example: imagine how differently you perceive the world with just your eyes). A well-trained machine vision AI can still fail to tell a pedestrian from a person on a billboard, with a thermal camera it's not a problem.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  10. flexus
    I visited 25.12 Namie, Fukushima and I saw Toyota testing automated driving on public roads. I think vehicle was Alphard or Vellfire.

Ian Schmidt, spwolf and ssun30 like this.