Lexus at 2020 Geneva Motor Show

Will1991

Reactions
According to Blog Lexus UK, this is Lexus lineup for 2020 Geneva:

Lexus is hosting three European premieres at the 2020 Geneva Motor Show, including a stunning V8-powered convertible, our first-ever battery electric vehicle (BEV) and a concept that previews our vision for a future generation of electrified vehicles.

Lexus UX300e
The UX 300e is Lexus’s first battery electric vehicle (BEV) and the first model to be produced under the Lexus Electrified banner. It features the distinctive design and high functionality of the original UX urban compact SUV, together with refined yet dynamic driving performance and all the Lexus hallmark qualities of comfort, exceptional quality and reliability.

uxev-wp-image-04-18inches-high-eu-635994-2.jpg

LC500 Convertible
The new Lexus LC 500 Convertible joins the LC Coupe as an aspirational halo model for the entire Lexus range. Designed on the theme of ‘Ultimate Beauty’ and with Lexus’s signature attention to detail, it commands the attention, top up or top down, and provides a driving experience that stimulates all the senses.

lexuslcconvertible08hires-500061-2.jpg

LF-30 Electrified Concept
The LF-30 Electrified concept is a showcase for the advanced design and technology Lexus envisions for the future electrification of its brand and the unique opportunity that will present to transform the joy of driving. The Lexus Electrified strategy aims to provide choice, convenience and excitement to consumers who are ready to move beyond conventional powertrains.

lexus-lf30-001high-210240-2.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
In other words, don't expect any totally new world premiere from Lexus at Geneva this year. Further reenforcing this, the 2020 Geneva Motor Show Exhibitors' Press Conferences listing confirms that Lexus will once again host a "digital on-demand press conference, at any time", as opposed to an actual, physical press conference. This tactic, which has been used for the past several major European motor shows, is a telltale sign we won't be seeing anything new.

Will1991

Reactions
Here it is, Lexus digital presentation:

They’re expecting a 15% share of UX sales to be electric by 2021!

Will1991

Reactions
It could be on the LF-1 with autonomous capabilities, they’ve stated during its presentation it could be a Hybrid, FCEV, BEV, (etc) and Lexus already stated they’re going to show a SAE 4 autonomous systems for Tokyo Olympics. This would be the best possible way.

A bit more realistic would be on the Toyota ePalette/LQ.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What if OG get canceled? I hope not, would be such a waste of resources and efforts and pride.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Here it is, Lexus digital presentation:

They’re expecting a 15% share of UX sales to be electric by 2021!

nice... 15% of European sales... or rather 20% of Western European sales. Not bad.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What if OG get canceled? I hope not, would be such a waste of resources and efforts and pride.

there is quite the possibility now. However during summer viruses usually slow down so that could be the saviour.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
"We will be introducing new exciting EV vehicles... early in this decade"
*is 2 months into the decade"

Ok, so we have the NX PHEV and a dedicated BEV in the next couple of years.

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
The Rav 4 Prime this summer will show us the NX phev powertrain which looks great so far.
One data point we are missing is the power of the OBC . Hopefully it’s at least 6-7 kw.
Still will be 2-3 hour recharge time.
Could surprise us with including DC fast charging capability , likely chademo , though CCS would be a better choice.
That would be a bonus.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
At least for Europe I would like they choose Type2+CCS2 as standard.

In my opinion, the worst technical aspect of the UX300e is having Chademo, for Europe makes very little sense if you ask me...

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
Toyota has used chademo exclusively , they have no CCS connectors on any vehicle I know of.
Agree chademo is dead but Japan seems stuck on it .

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
The Rav 4 Prime this summer will show us the NX phev powertrain which looks great so far.
One data point we are missing is the power of the OBC . Hopefully it’s at least 6-7 kw.
Still will be 2-3 hour recharge time.
Could surprise us with including DC fast charging capability , likely chademo , though CCS would be a better choice.
That would be a bonus.

Any chance the NX will be rear-wheel drive biased or is that too hard to do on the equivalent TNGA platform for Lexus? The RAV4 Prime does seem to be still FWD-biased even with the stronger rear axle motor.

Engine, Transmission, and Performance
While all-wheel drive models will eventually be a part of the ID.4 lineup, the single-motor rear-wheel drive models will be the first to launch. When VW rolled out the ID. Crozz concept vehicle, we were told that the rear motor would serve as the primary power source and make 201 horsepower with the optional front motor kicking in another 101 hp. The dual-motor all-wheel drive model will likely offer additional acceleration performance over the rear-wheel drive model, but we expect the ID.4 to provide driving pep no matter which powertrain is chosen.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I'd be surprised if the next Lexus BEV will still be FWD-biased (UX300e is understandable as the company needs a compliance BEV in numbers) when even Honda knows it's so easy to make a RWD BEV, just like in the Honda E. Even VW understands this when most of its vehicles are FWD-biased. I think for Audi, only the R8 is RWD-biased.

Will1991

Reactions
According to what has been shared around here, the next Lexus BEV will be built in a dedicated eTNGA platform (around 2022)... If they build a FWD one... It will be just sad... And depressing...

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Sad that the Geneva Auto show got cancelled. I'd be pissed if the Los Angeles Auto show ever got cancelled. It's a yearly tradition that my family always go to. Maybe one of these days I'll take a trip to the Geneva Auto show.

Lexus didn't really have anything exciting to show anyway in Geneva. The Detroit Auto show is coming in June and hopefully Lexus shows us the LC F in full production form...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Coronavirus may subside in the summer months depending on region, but will likely be back in the fall with a vengeance.

They need to start doing more Lexus digital reveals/events. Lots of companies are doing it now. Other Japanese companies like Nintendo have stopped bothering with a lot of the industry conferences and are just doing their own short online releases.

Should also hopefully give them the flexibility to trot out news once in a while without trying to snap all of their reveals to the nearest major conference.