Lexus Apple CarPlay and Android Auto overseas

Reactions
Hi all,

I have bought 2019 Lexus LS500 which it suppose to have Apple CarPlay equipped with it. I was surprised that i doesn't have even though 2019 LS comes standard with this feature.

Unfortunately, i wasn't able to test drive the 2019 model only 2018 f sport. I assumed that when i purchase the 2019 LS it will have this feature as i read here all Lexus vehicles built after October 2018 will have Apple CarPlay equipped.

I then went back to the dealer to ask the salesman about this feature it may be hidden somewhere i didn't notice, he replied "what is Apple CarPlay ?, i was shocked that this guy doesn't even know about this feature which i then was sure that it doesn't exist.

Made some internet searches and asked people on Instagram. It appeared that Lexus didn't equip this feature it vehicles sold outside the US. I'm really sad that i paid on my car around $100,000 but it doesn't come with Apple CarPlay. Even though, Apple CarPlay is fully supported in my country (United Arab Emirates).

I'm writing my problem because i haven't seen in the internet anyone who asked about it before. Did anyone hear anything about his problem ? or might heard when it will be available ?
Also, somehow when i try to contact the Lexus headquarter, it redirects me to the US market email and they reply that they only work for US market don't know about others.
Please let us know if you are living outside the US and tell whether it's available in your country.

Thanks!

Reactions
Yes I bought the new ES 350 and I have the same problem in Saudi Arabia, I hope they find a way to update the car system and add this feature :(

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I'm writing my problem because i haven't seen in the internet anyone who asked about it before. Did anyone hear anything about his problem ? or might heard when it will be available ?

I am NOT RECOMMENDING this, but some people have been installing CarPlay on their cars themselves. Take a look at this thread:

Reactions
I am NOT RECOMMENDING this, but some people have been installing CarPlay on their cars themselves. Take a look at this thread:

I have read it has region lock and you must not try if you are outside the US.

Reactions
It’s supposedly about to be rolled out in the UK and therefore Europe and elsewhere. There’s a lot of chatter on Lexus UK sites about some UK dealers testing it and getting ready to roll it out now that the Europe license issue has now been resolved. As I posted elsewhere on the site I’m not sure how Lexus are going to integrate it and whether it’ll be rolled back to older models or just new cars but it appears to be imminent!

Reactions
It’s supposedly about to be rolled out in the UK and therefore Europe and elsewhere. There’s a lot of chatter on Lexus UK sites about some UK dealers testing it and getting ready to roll it out now that the Europe license issue has now been resolved. As I posted elsewhere on the site I’m not sure how Lexus are going to integrate it and whether it’ll be rolled back to older models or just new cars but it appears to be imminent!
Good news, i hope we see it soon also in the Middle East!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Although the Lexus pan-Europe and Lexus UK Media Site thus far remain silent about their Apple CarPlay and Android Auto plans, Lexus Spain has broken the ice and relayed their plans in this regard (both retrofit and showroom-new vehicle). Bear in mind the great degree of autonomy and independence Lexus Europe allows each of their markets, so Spain's plans may not necessarily translate to other countries.

Full details appear on Lexus Spain's consumer and media sites. I won't translate both word-for-word, but here are the highlights:

- The first model to incorporate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is the revised 2020 RX, launching in October 2019.

- UX, NX, ES and RC will incorporate them into their 2020 models, available in December 2019.

- Lexus dealers will offer free Apple CarPlay / Android Auto retrofits on the following models (if equipped with the compatible MM17 multimedia system):
UX (2019 and 2020 model years) built on March 2019 or later
NX (2018, 2019 and 2020 model years) built on September 2017 or later
ES (2019 and 2020 model years) built on October 2018 or later

- Other Lexus models are NOT compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

- Free dealer installation of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto retrofits for eligible vehicles will start in December 2019 for vehicles WITHOUT navigation and in April 2020 for vehicles WITH navigation.

Reactions
Although the Lexus pan-Europe and Lexus UK Media Site thus far remain silent about their Apple CarPlay and Android Auto plans, Lexus Spain has broken the ice and relayed their plans in this regard (both retrofit and showroom-new vehicle). Bear in mind the great degree of autonomy and independence Lexus Europe allows each of their markets, so Spain's plans may not necessarily translate to other countries.

Full details appear on Lexus Spain's consumer and media sites. I won't translate both word-for-word, but here are the highlights:

- The first model to incorporate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is the revised 2020 RX, launching in October 2019.

- UX, NX, ES and RC will incorporate them into their 2020 models, available in December 2019.

- Lexus dealers will offer free Apple CarPlay / Android Auto retrofits on the following models (if equipped with the compatible MM17 multimedia system):
UX (2019 and 2020 model years) built on March 2019 or later
NX (2018, 2019 and 2020 model years) built on September 2017 or later
ES (2019 and 2020 model years) built on October 2018 or later

- Other Lexus models are NOT compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

- Free dealer installation of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto retrofits for eligible vehicles will start in December 2019 for vehicles WITHOUT navigation and in April 2020 for vehicles WITH navigation.

Well this is definitely a great update, but i did not see that Lexus LS mentioned, does this means that it will not have the retrofit ?
Even though it has the latest infotainment system from Lexus. Anyways, I hope the same scenario will occur in the United Arab Emirates. Thanks!

Reactions
@ILoveLexus Hi..this is something i have found in almost all dealerships including Lexus. I'm in the lookout for a new car and was thinking of going for the RX. when asked about apple car play/ android auto the salesman said what is that? the next sentence out of his mouth made me leave the dealership. it was " we have only these cars if you want take it otherwise you wait and don't ask silly questions!". i'm still considering the RX as now it's supposed to be coming with the above features.
another thing i found was the features we get is much much less than what we get in other countries especially the US.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Well this is definitely a great update, but i did not see that Lexus LS mentioned, does this means that it will not have the retrofit ?
Even though it has the latest infotainment system from Lexus. Anyways, I hope the same scenario will occur in the United Arab Emirates. Thanks!
At this point, I've only seen 2 markets discuss the Apple CarPlay retrofit: the United States (which offers it on the 2018 LS) and Spain (which does NOT offer it on LS at this time). Thus, the United Arab Emirates could go in either direction.

I guess all we can do is keep an eye on what individual countries and markets eventually announce.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
@ILoveLexus Hi..this is something i have found in almost all dealerships including Lexus. I'm in the lookout for a new car and was thinking of going for the RX. when asked about apple car play/ android auto the salesman said what is that? the next sentence out of his mouth made me leave the dealership. it was " we have only these cars if you want take it otherwise you wait and don't ask silly questions!". i'm still considering the RX as now it's supposed to be coming with the above features.
another thing i found was the features we get is much much less than what we get in other countries especially the US.

You should complain to that dealership about that sales representative. Maybe there are better ones in the same dealership.

Reactions
Hi, does anyone have any update on this?
I have a 2019 ES350 FSport and I was just speaking with someone from Lexus UAE, their advise was:
"....the software is different, it can not be installed!! Perhaps you can change to a 2020 model?"
!!!!!
Thanks!

Reactions
See my post regarding CarPlay and Android Auto.

Reactions
Hi, does anyone have any update on this?
I have a 2019 ES350 FSport and I was just speaking with someone from Lexus UAE, their advise was:
"....the software is different, it can not be installed!! Perhaps you can change to a 2020 model?"
!!!!!
Thanks!
Yes I asked them and got the exact same answer. They said that "Lexus cars which are sold in the middle east have different hardware that makes them not able to support the upgrade". This answer was so ridiculous, i asked how come i have the car from 2019 and the same exact car from 2020 have the feature. He replied "sorry we can't help you, i just told you it's different hardware". I said OK, the entire world were offered the upgrade some for free and others for reasonable price. Why don't you talk to Lexus in Japan and tell them to get us a specific version which is compatible with our systems to be upgraded. He said "we can't ask for such thing!" with no further justifications. Just to inform you guys how bad Lexus dealers in the middle east. Lexus has to act on this, reputation of the brand is not doing well recently here because of those people!