Lexus Announces 2016 LX 570 with All New Exterior & Interior Design

Reactions
Really nice refresh a-la '13 LS. Should give the LX 3-4 more years of life in its current platform.

Paddle shifters? First time ever in the LX :D

One disappointment though. Although it's a beautiful steering wheel we first saw in the RX then the ES, it's now also the same in the GS AND LX. For a 90K SUV, Lexus could have produced a unique steering wheel. I don't want to see this same steering wheel in the LS or LC...

(CT, NX, IS, RC, GS F, also share a common steering wheel. Only the GX has it's own steering wheel unless the 2016 is getting one of the two wheels)
2015_lexus_gx_460_steeringwheel.jpg
Toyota and lexus have always done that stearing wheel sharing, for instance the Toyota Supra has the same steering wheel as a AE111 Corolla levin!

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
The updated design with spindle grill really fit on the LX. This is going to look very aggressive coming down the street.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I'll tell you why, if I was looking for a vehicle of that size, I would not consider the LX.

Too much plastic, cheapens the look. No seriously, watch the video and pause it at every scene change and tell me how many pieces of plastic shiny or matte can you find?
A few good cosmetic changes here and there but nothing that makes me go "DAMN I love that."
The car stands tall like a Fortuner instead of wide like an X5, GL, Q7 whatever. The old LX used to have great proportions, this one just looks tall and stupid. I think it's the new head and taillights.

I won't lie, it will sell. Why? Because there are people out there that love Lexus and know that their cars are reliable. The problem is with those that have been patiently waiting to make a decision; it's going to be hard to persuade them that the LX looks better than the new Cayenne or Range Rover.

What actually surprises me in all of this is Krew's silence, lol.

There are 2 more vehicles Lexus has not yet launched this year. It's too late for them to make any major changes so I hope they put everything they have into those 2 cars.

Reactions
Re this comment:

"Too much plastic, cheapens the look. No seriously, watch the video and pause it at every scene change and tell me how many pieces of plastic shiny or matte can you find?
A few good cosmetic changes here and there but nothing that makes me go "DAMN I love that."
The car stands tall like a Fortuner instead of wide like an X5, GL, Q7 whatever. The old LX used to have great proportions, this one just looks tall and stupid. I think it's the new head and taillights."

I understand the observation, but I would respectfully disagree. One of the things I liked about both the "old" LX (I have a 2003 LX470), and the "old" GX 470 is that both "stand tall" and do not look like squashed bugs, like the Infiniti designs. One of the things I dislike about the new RX design is that it is elongated and flattened looking to me. The Mercedes GL also "stands tall" and is someone boxy, but I think it has too many bumps and chrome pieces.

Also, regarding the "shiny plastic" ---- what part of the exterior of the LX are you talking about?--- it looks like metal an chrome to me, except for the matte grill which may also be metal, and the mirrors (which are probably plastic. I don't see how the LX has more plastic than the X5 or the QY. There's a lot of shiny stuff on the Mercedes, too much for me, but it isn't plastic. Anyway, I guess tastes are different. This new design is pushing me to the LX over the RX.

Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'll tell you why, if I was looking for a vehicle of that size, I would not consider the LX.

Too much plastic, cheapens the look. No seriously, watch the video and pause it at every scene change and tell me how many pieces of plastic shiny or matte can you find?
The car stands tall like a Fortuner instead of wide like an X5, GL, Q7 whatever. The old LX used to have great proportions, this one just looks tall and stupid. I think it's the new head and taillights.

I won't lie, it will sell. Why? Because there are people out there that love Lexus and know that their cars are reliable. The problem is with those that have been patiently waiting to make a decision; it's going to be hard to persuade them that the LX looks better than the new Cayenne or Range Rover.

What actually surprises me in all of this is Krew's silence, lol.

There are 2 more vehicles Lexus has not yet launched this year. It's too late for them to make any major changes so I hope they put everything they have into those 2 cars.

I'm sorry but a base model X5, GL, Q7 particularly the Q7 look very slim and narrow. Only when they have their sport packages does the appearance really get the needle moving, if at all.

The LX has always been the big beefy rugged SUV.

Krew loves the styling as we have spoken about it. I'm actually less thrilled but to me it now actually looks like something whereas in the past it just didn't stand out enough.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Re this comment:
I understand the observation, but I would respectfully disagree.

Also, regarding the "shiny plastic" ---- what part of the exterior of the LX are you talking about?

I would assume that you're being respectful whether you said it or not ... :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any other vehicles do this. My ideas are a step towards excellence and market domination.

Engine compartment: Engine block cover looks like they wanted to build a one size fits all and they should stop using metallic paint; it adds nothing. It would have looked a lot better if everything was completely covered, in black, and only certain parts were exposed; fluids only for example.

Interior:
That black frame surrounding all the displays. Why? This is 2015. Frames are ugly. What's worse, it's beveled.
All the chair supports, etc.. black plastic which doesn't conform to the shape. If you're going to use plastic, it should not be obvious.

I'm very picky, I know. I just want Lexus to build a car that people just can't wait to buy. Look at the new Volvo XC90; there's a waiting list for the car. It may be due to short supply to make it seem like the car is heavily demanded but at the end of the day, it's a home run for Volvo.

Travis

Fan
Reactions
Talk about aggressive. This thing looks scary in a good way. Want to see how it looks in black and white paint finishes.

Very edgy and futuristic

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Brilliant. Looks even better with the real world pics as expected.

Anyone parking this next to a brand new Range Rover or Escalade should feel absolutely no shame.
On pure looks and style, this stands toe to toe with the most stylish in the segment now.
On reliability and quality, well we know this will be much better than most.

Love the little details; how the 3D spindle grille at the bottom brilliantly integrates into part of the skid pad/plate. Also did anyone else catch the rear seat center console controls, including a remote? This is almost GS and LS level of rear seat luxury added now to the LX. Just brilliant.

I would assume that you're being respectful whether you said it or not ... :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any other vehicles do this. My ideas are a step towards excellence and market domination.

Engine compartment: Engine block cover looks like they wanted to build a one size fits all and they should stop using metallic paint; it adds nothing. It would have looked a lot better if everything was completely covered, in black, and only certain parts were exposed; fluids only for example.

Interior:
That black frame surrounding all the displays. Why? This is 2015. Frames are ugly. What's worse, it's beveled.
All the chair supports, etc.. black plastic which doesn't conform to the shape. If you're going to use plastic, it should not be obvious.

I'm very picky, I know. I just want Lexus to build a car that people just can't wait to buy. Look at the new Volvo XC90; there's a waiting list for the car. It may be due to short supply to make it seem like the car is heavily demanded but at the end of the day, it's a home run for Volvo.

Perhaps I'm not as picky as you, but I see huge swaths of leather everywhere. I did a quick glance at a 2016 Range Rover interior, and I see noticeably more visible plastic than the 2016 LX interior. Also I love the new XC90 myself, but a quick glance at that interior also reveals more noticeable plastic than the 2016 LX interior. Additionally one needs to keep in mind the XC90 competes with the new RX, not the LX. Different price segments and categories.

Reactions: RAL

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Really nice refresh a-la '13 LS. Should give the LX 3-4 more years of life in its current platform.

Paddle shifters? First time ever in the LX :D

One disappointment though. Although it's a beautiful steering wheel we first saw in the RX then the ES, it's now also the same in the GS AND LX. For a 90K SUV, Lexus could have produced a unique steering wheel. I don't want to see this same steering wheel in the LS or LC...

(CT, NX, IS, RC, GS F, also share a common steering wheel. Only the GX has it's own steering wheel unless the 2016 is getting one of the two wheels)
2015_lexus_gx_460_steeringwheel.jpg
I love the new facsia of LX as well as the interior. It looks upscale and more interesting than the previous one.

For the steering wheel, we can see Lexus has continued to change/evolve a better steering wheel.

The most current shape is the one used in the 16' refreshed ES, GS, RX & LX.

For the GS-F, the development must be a bit earlier and so its steering wheel shares the one for RC, RC-F & NX.

The steering wheel used in 3IS is the most short-lived one as Lexus did hear the feedback from customers that they don't like the buttons not flushed and being round (which I don't find any issues with). So the steering wheel used in 3IS is also considered as an odd ball, in addition to the one in recently refreshed GX...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Its such a damn shame the TRD Supercharger is canned.....the way this thing looks, it would be amazing with 500hp...

The LX is now updated on Lexus.com

I wish there was a carbon fiber option!!! Love that cabernet leather is offered!!!

Lexus-LX-570-cabernetsemianilineleatherinteriortrim-gallery-overlay-1204x677-LEXLXGMY160008.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Here's a couple crazy 2016 LXs in the Middle East, one in the new Toyota Quicksand color and the other in Army Green:

Another image of the Quicksand LX:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I just spent 5 days traveling all over NJ/NYC in the 2016 LX 570 and I initially thought I would walk away feeling it was overpriced. I left feeling it was a bargain.....This is one hell of a vehicle. Review to come.

Big thanks to Lexus Eastern!
It looks so large does it feel like really really big or is manageable? Look forward to your review!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^IMO, LX and LC are perfect size. Not so big as something like an Expedition, and even a bit smaller than a Tahoe.