Legit reason a pre-owned might not sell for 8 months?

Reactions
I'm looking at a 2015 RX350 and the Carfax indicates something that I find puzzling. After 2 years of perfect service records I see the following:

8/27/18 - sold at auction as dealer vehicle - 68.9k miles

8/31/18 - offered for sale @ Hyundai dealer

5/1/19 - offered for sale @ Chevy dealer - 69.0k miles

Can you think of any innocent reason a car would sit completely dormant for so long? To be fair it's a small dealership that doesn't move a lot of used luxury cars.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Difficult to tell without seeing the car firsthand. If it is a front wheel drive model, that could be the reason. More likely, as Gecko stated, color or options.

Reactions
Also, most Lexus buyers seem to prefer buying their Lexus vehicles from a Lexus dealer. Can't say why this is, but I believe it to be true.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If there's nothing visibly wrong and it passes a mechanic's inspection it could just be a case of the right car in the wrong place.

Reactions
It may have been at one brand of a Mega dealer lot, then went unsold, then passed on to another of their brands etc. People don't generally cruise a Chevy or Hyundai lot for a Lexus though. Have it checked out before purchasing regardless of the CarFax. Remember while CarFax may give you information on which to make a better decision, it only reports what is reported to them. Which allows lots of room for unfortunate stuff to not get reported.

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
Some new 2017 cars are still on lots. The market is super saturated..... not unusual..