Lexus RX Legit reason a pre-owned might not sell for 8 months?

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2015 RX350 and the Carfax indicates something that I find puzzling. After 2 years of perfect service records I see the following:

8/27/18 - sold at auction as dealer vehicle - 68.9k miles

8/31/18 - offered for sale @ Hyundai dealer

5/1/19 - offered for sale @ Chevy dealer - 69.0k miles

Can you think of any innocent reason a car would sit completely dormant for so long? To be fair it's a small dealership that doesn't move a lot of used luxury cars.

Gecko

Connoisseur
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Colors and options?

Lexucator

Fan
Reaction score
Difficult to tell without seeing the car firsthand. If it is a front wheel drive model, that could be the reason. More likely, as Gecko stated, color or options.

Reaction score
Also, most Lexus buyers seem to prefer buying their Lexus vehicles from a Lexus dealer. Can't say why this is, but I believe it to be true.

Ian Schmidt

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
If there's nothing visibly wrong and it passes a mechanic's inspection it could just be a case of the right car in the wrong place.

Reaction score
It may have been at one brand of a Mega dealer lot, then went unsold, then passed on to another of their brands etc. People don't generally cruise a Chevy or Hyundai lot for a Lexus though. Have it checked out before purchasing regardless of the CarFax. Remember while CarFax may give you information on which to make a better decision, it only reports what is reported to them. Which allows lots of room for unfortunate stuff to not get reported.

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Connoisseur
Staff member
Reaction score
Some new 2017 cars are still on lots. The market is super saturated..... not unusual..