Jerking in stop and go traffic

Reactions
Still getting used to my IS350 and noticed a jerkiness when in stop and go traffic. When going from brake to gas and vice versa I noticed the car would jerk at low speeds when resuning acceleration. It doesn't seem to do it in Eco mode.
Any thoughts? Is this normal?

Reactions
Still getting used to my IS350 and noticed a jerkiness when in stop and go traffic. When going from brake to gas and vice versa I noticed the car would jerk at low speeds when resuning acceleration. It doesn't seem to do it in Eco mode.
Any thoughts? Is this normal?

It would be cool if you could give us further detail about mileage, model year, purchased new or used etc. But regardless of that for ANY Lexus, that is definitely not normal. Definitely see your local dealer!

Hey hey...... Ferrari eh? :)

Reactions
It's a brand new 2018 IS350 FSport3 which I have had for 2 weeks. It only has 500km. Let me try and clarify... When the car is rolling and traffic starts moving and I go to accelerate its not smooth. Nothing feels mechanically wrong and I don't think I'm hard on the gas or brake. It's a little like driving a standard car and staying in first gear. I still have to brake in the engine. . the dealer says to put at least 1600km before I really start driving it.
As for Ferrari.. Huge fan! I've driven a 430, a 458 and a 488 on a race track in Vegas. Highly recommend it. I tell everyone I own 8 Ferrari's and then I show them my cabinet full of die cast models in my basement.

Reactions
It's a brand new 2018 IS350 FSport3 which I have had for 2 weeks. It only has 500km. Let me try and clarify... When the car is rolling and traffic starts moving and I go to accelerate its not smooth. Nothing feels mechanically wrong and I don't think I'm hard on the gas or brake. It's a little like driving a standard car and staying in first gear. I still have to brake in the engine. . the dealer says to put at least 1600km before I really start driving it.
As for Ferrari.. Huge fan! I've driven a 430, a 458 and a 488 on a race track in Vegas. Highly recommend it. I tell everyone I own 8 Ferrari's and then I show them my cabinet full of die cast models in my basement.

In regards to your IS, I don't think that should happen. If it is from the breaking in (which I personally have doubts on but it's possible) then just let it run until it gets the 1.6K km mark. However, I recommend you to just ask your local dealer what's up. Your car is literally 2 weeks old. It really shouldn't do that. Especially on a Lexus. Sorry this is happening to you but Lexus vehicles are generally bombproof LOL. I would assume your dealer could be of some help and should be covered since it's so new.

Now for Ferrari. Absolutely legendary. I was genuinely buzzing for you when you said you got to drive a F430, 458 Italia and the 488 GTB. Definitely will try to get behind the wheel of some legendary sports and super cars and wring them a little. It would be fun. Also I can totally relate to the die cast models reference XD.

Reactions
Appreciate the feedback! My previous vehicle was a 2015 Infiniti Q50 sport and so far I'm not too impressed. No disrespect to Lexus .. Maybe it will grow on me.

Forza Ferrari!

Reactions
Appreciate the feedback! My previous vehicle was a 2015 Infiniti Q50 sport and so far I'm not too impressed. No disrespect to Lexus .. Maybe it will grow on me.

Forza Ferrari!

Power to you bro. Lexus will deliver and I promise on that. Next generation IS should be a thriller, still you purchased this one and it should be fine after all the kinks are ironed. I personally love how the IS is much more raw than the Q50 in terms of driving dynamics (Q50 in Red Sport form has power and torque advantage).

And yes :D
Forza Maranello and Ferrari! Grande bella macchina!

Reactions
Thanks. Since we are discussing Italian cars, I have to tell you I was debating between the IS and the Alfa Guilia but when I packaged up the Guilia with the same features it was MUCH more expensive. At least I have a fully loaded V6. I also read many reviews and Alfa seems to have some kinks to work out. (more so with the Quadrifoglio)
Ok ... I promise my next post will be about Lexus

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
Is it AWD, or RWD? Also, are you in manual mode, auto, F-Sport, or F-Sport + mode? Those modes can change how the car performs and they are very noticeable indeed. I can make my car feel like its jerky in certain settings, incline/decline, type of road surface, weather conditions, etc. That can be normal depending on driver input. (I drive a 2017 IS350 F-Sport RWD)

You did mention it feeling like staying in 1st gear and the jerkiness...It's a strong possibility that you may have put it in manual mode when changing the gear lever to drive? Or have you pressed the downshift lever on the steering wheel/column to manually put it in 1st gear, which it will stay for maybe a few good seconds before reverting back to auto. That feature is great for when you need to have a quick downshift assuming it will not over rev the engine when say accelerating to pass someone.

Added: You can always request a test drive with a senior certified technician at your local Lexus Dealership.

Last edited:
Reactions
Is it AWD, or RWD? Also, are you in manual mode, auto, F-Sport, or F-Sport + mode? Those modes can change how the car performs and they are very noticeable indeed. I can make my car feel like its jerky in certain settings, incline/decline, type of road surface, weather conditions, etc. That can be normal depending on driver input. (I drive a 2017 IS350 F-Sport RWD)

You did mention it feeling like staying in 1st gear and the jerkiness...It's a strong possibility that you may have put it in manual mode when changing the gear lever to drive? Or have you pressed the downshift lever on the steering wheel/column to manually put it in 1st gear, which it will stay for maybe a few good seconds before reverting back to auto. That feature is great for when you need to have a quick downshift assuming it will not over rev the engine when say accelerating to pass someone.

Added: You can always request a test drive with a senior certified technician at your local Lexus Dealership.

Appreciate all the points. It is a 2018 IS350 AWD fSport3 and it was in normal mode. I've only had it for 2 weeks and I have been trying the different modes to test the difference. Because I was in stop and go traffic it was in normal mode. I've had many sport sedans. If traffic was rolling and I press on the gas to accelerate it wasn't smooth it was a jerky start. When I put it in Eco mode it was smooth. I'm pretty picky with my cars and I pay attention to detail. For being a refined premium vehicle it doesn't feel right.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
Ok, so you have the 6 speed transmission version. If you feel that it doesn't feel right, I suggest having a technician inspect and test drive the car.

Reactions
I haven't even done 1000 km yet? They recommend 1600 Km to break in the engine. I'll try and get in touch with a tech.

Reactions
I haven't even done 1000 km yet? They recommend 1600 Km to break in the engine. I'll try and get in touch with a tech.

I am having a similar problem with my 19 ES fsport. At very low speeds the transmission is jerky. The car has 1k miles on it. I might take it into the service department to see if there’s a problem. Otherwise it’s an unfortunate design defect.

Reactions
Very nice vehicle. Hard to beleive a 19 full size sport sedan has the same issues. My only solution is to keep it in eco mode. It seems to help. I'd be curious to know what your service department tells you. Please post it. I'm due at 1600 km so I will mention the same thing.