IS 200t vs. IS 350

Reactions
This is a really simple question, but I can't seem to find a difference!

Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference inside and out between the turbo and the 350? Besides the badges?

I can't seem to notice a difference, and this makes sense as to why 200t owners prefer to remove the badges after buying them, because it's a little embarrassing to be driving around in a 240hp turbo that goes 0-60 in forever. (Just my opinion..don't get all upset at this comment)

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
There should be no discernible difference other than the badging from a visible standpoint.
Point well taken. I've grown accustomed to LOL at the IS200t F Sports I see.
Like buying a sports car with the 4-cylinder (Camaro, Mustang) option.
As Mikeavelli says, "Y Tho" LOL.

Reactions
It's a shame though..

If I own a 350. I want people to know it's a 350 and not a 200t! And it's the same thing with the RC 200t and 350.

Reactions
The 6 in the 350 isn't very impressive and makes the car front heavy. if Lexus is going to do a six give it some guts.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The 6 in the 350 isn't very impressive and makes the car front heavy. if Lexus is going to do a six give it some guts.

It (3.5L) was a great engine, in model year 2006 when it was introduced. Today modern 3.0L tt 6 cylinder engines are lighter and much more powerful.

Reactions
Yes totally agree. Lexus has really dropped the ball on this six in comparison to competitors. When you have to question if you should get a 4 cylinder turbo at 241 HP and good torque or a 6 something is wrong.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes totally agree. Lexus has really dropped the ball on this six in comparison to competitors. When you have to question if you should get a 4 cylinder turbo at 241 HP and good torque or a 6 something is wrong.

The power difference is still substantial (306 vs 241 hp) and can be felt.

I regularly drive a turbo4 Mercedes and 3.5LV6 Lexus, power difference is very noticeable but refinement surprisingly close.

Reactions
If people think either of these cars is a sports car, the 200T or the 350 then they are sadly mistaken.
I also very much doubt anyone is removing their 200T badges..who the heck knows or cars on the road about that. High school kids?
I have a BMW 340i and a 200T. The 340i inline 6 smokes the 350 every way you can think of and so do many other brands.
The 200T is fine for acceleration and after testing it and the 350 I saw no reason to get the 350 for worse mileage and plus nose heavy. The 200T also had smoother up shifts. I use it for my long southern California commutes and the BMW for everything else.
At least the F sports have very good handling and do compare to my M sport 340i.
O to 60 between the 2 is what? A second difference? Get real.
When you are on the highway and want to accelerate there is very little difference between the turbo 4 and the six. Kid yourself all you want...the Lexus is 6 is weak and outdated. A lot of improvements have been made in 6 cylinders in 10 years.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
If people think the BMW 340i, Lexus IS200T or Is350 are sports cars they are sadly mistaken, lol. Especially when it's already known that they are sport sedans. Yes, the old 3.5L from Lexus dates back to model year 2006.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Who said 200T or 350 are sports cars? Nobody in this thread, not sure why it was even brought up 3 posts ago.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Read the thread you are commenting on and you will see.

I see where you might imply they were talking about 200T and 350, but in fact he was talking about a couple of pony cars (at least as posted in post#2):

"Like buying a sports car with the 4-cylinder (Camaro, Mustang) option."

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Kid yourself all you want...the Lexus is 6 is weak and outdated. A lot of improvements have been made in 6 cylinders in 10 years.

With all due respect, nobody's kidding anybody else here....or trying to. With only 184 ft-lbs. of torque, the Lexus 2.5L V6 was never designed to be a powerhouse. IMO, though, it excels at what it DOES offer.....a smoother, quieter, more refined alternative to the typically more buzzy N/A and turbo in-line fours in these compact-sized entry-level luxury cars. As to its age (10 years), there's an old saying....."If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Now, I'm not saying that manufacturers should stick with a design forever, but, IMO, age alone is to necessarily a reason to replace a good, well-proven design. In fact, I wish more manufacturers offered a small, low-powered V6 like the Lexus 2.5L. It would be an ideal engine for the Buick Verano, Audi A3, Acura ILX, and a number of compact/mid-sized mainstream family-sedans today.........all of which are currently restricted to /N/A or turbo in-line fours.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Note: topic is 2.0Lturbo4 in IS200T vs 3.5LV6 in IS350

Yes........noted, and Thanks. But, since, in one post, though, he was referring to the Lexus V6 being weak and outdated, I thought he also (?) meant the 2.5L V6, which, though smooth and refined, IS rather weak in the power department. I'll stand by my comments on the 2.5L even if it is slightly off-topic.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
image.jpeg Been driving this 2016 loaded Mercedes C300 2.0L turbo4 all day (and possibly all weekend).

Easily matches refinement of old 2.5L and 3.5L (topic here) Lexus 60 degree V6's, all the way to redline. This is not a coarse 4 banger like those supplied by GM, Ford, Chrysler. Sweet engine through entire powerband.

Lacks much of an exhaust note, just like standard exhaust Lexus V6's. And the small vibration off idle due to Stop/Start fuel saver is somewhat annoying, like all of these devices no matter what engine. I haven't checked if it can be turned off.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I have a 2016 IS200T for a couple days, surprisingly quick and more fun to drive than the old Is250 2.5 V6. Refinement and NVH is in same league too right up your redline, very Mercedes-like.

Reactions: RAL