5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Alex gave Handling a "B" and Ride an "A+", both due to soft ride of the adaptive air suspension.

So typically compromise between the two? I have seen Alex put A's on both or maybe one is an A-. Don't recall which vehicle though.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So typically compromise between the two? I have seen Alex put A's on both or maybe one is an A-. Don't recall which vehicle though.
That's possible only with a fully active suspension which is a reliability and maintenance nightmare.

I think the last generation LS600hL had a fully active system, but somehow they have standardized to the semi-active AVS for all TNGA products.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
That's possible only with a fully active suspension which is a reliability and maintenance nightmare.

I think the last generation LS600hL had a fully active system, but somehow they have standardized to the semi-active AVS for all TNGA products.

Or probably with hocus pocus, like torque vectoring differential.

Torque vectoring on the rear axle is usually preferred for most vehicles, correct? The mid-engine NSX has torque vectoring upfront.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

in any case, i very much doubt old LS600hL handled anywhere close to LS500h, whatever active suspension system was.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Quick note, Lexus posted on their UK Blog the other day about the updated LS making its European debut.

2021 LS Makes its Premiere

This whilst Lexus don't bring the updated IS to Europe - you can imagine that the 10k plus strong owners group on Facebook are absolutely perplexed.

Lexus are committed to bringing the updated version of their LS, which has ONE used, that's right, ONE for sale right now in the entirety of the UK, but they won't bring the next IS. I understand that is due in the most part to emissions issues - but still.

Oh, and out of interest, here is the ONE solitary used LS500h that is for sale in the entire UK...

Lexus LS500h For Sale

Will1991

Reactions
@Rydo, at first I wasn’t understanding how Europe won’t get the beautifully refreshed Lexus IS, but now... It’s for the best really...

Do you really think it’s a good decision for Lexus to bring a (basically) a new car (style wise) with a 7 year old hybrid powertrain?
I don’t... IMO.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@Rydo, at first I wasn’t understanding how Europe won’t get the beautifully refreshed Lexus IS, but now... It’s for the best really...

Do you really think it’s a good decision for Lexus to bring a (basically) a new car (style wise) with a 7 year old hybrid powertrain?
I don’t... IMO.

problem with Lexus IS in Europe is pricing, not the hybrid system, which is still superior to what Germans offer.
It is not possible for them to compete with 3/A4/C that are often $15k cheaper with special packages, even if IS was brand new and competitive, it would still die off in 3rd year because of this.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Do they talk about headlights? Would love to hear the reasoning why they replaced contemporary cluster with this VW bs like headlight. It's also great they've brought back the self-parking feature they've had over a decade ago.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Front end looks fine... I don't have any real preference between refreshed exterior vs. pre-refreshed exterior, but I definitely prefer the pre-refresh interior.

I wonder if there will be any first drives? I'm curious to know how the revised throttle mapping shakes out.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-11-11-lexus-ls-2021-hero.jpg

Lexus USA has officially announced the 2021 LS flagship, which has been updated with redesigned headlights, a touchscreen, and a “new philosophical change to its design known as the Lexus Driving Signature”.
The 2021 Lexus LS 500 will arrive at dealerships in late November, with a starting MSRP of $76,000. LS 500h models are expected in early 2021, with pricing to be announced closer to that time.
The full Lexus USA press release follows.

Key enhancements yield heightened levels of interior quiet and comfort
LS 500 and LS 500h powerplants both receive additional refinement for 2021
Fine-tuned suspension offers superior ride quality
New 12.3-inch multimedia touchscreen added for all LS models
Starting MSRP of $76,000 for LS 500

PLANO, Texas (November 11, 2020) – Creating an iconic vehicle to set the tone for a luxury automaker is no simple task. The first-generation LS debuted in 1989 with this...

Continue reading...

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
In my opinion guys this car will never be successful. A- it is to long. B- it doesn't look muscular, it actually looks fragile. C- no V8 turbo.
When talking to people those were the main points that were mentioned. And I agreed.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I hope that Lexus reworks their sedan lineup a bit for the next generation, and the LS/ES relationship needs to be addressed or the ES will cannibalize LS sales just like it did GS. I have been saying for many years that the ES is one of Lexus' greatest strengths as well as greatest weaknesses and people often don't believe me. As a value proposition from what is still a value luxury brand, ES being large and inexpensive with all of the right face value luxury features steals the value and appeal for GS/LS and even sends some IS shoppers upmarket, since it costs the same, and in America, we think size = $$.

Ideally, for next gen in my POV:

IS should remain the same size, roughly... an entry level sedan product has global appeal if Lexus spec'ed it with the right powertrains for international markets. Maybe it moves to eTNGA, TNGA-K or smaller version of TNGA-N... not sure it really needs a RWD chassis going forward with electronics, AWD and everything else.

ES should be more truly midsize, instead of small full-size. Similar to 5er/E/A6, sized like the Camry. This would give the LS some breathing room as Lexus' largest and flagship sedan, whereas some current LS shoppers are walking away with an ES because it has more rear seat space and headroom.

ES-L built on the larger/longer TNGA-K platform for China.

LS needs to be re-engineered and re-packaged as the current car is way too big/long to have so little interior space with a V6 motor. Stays full size, more interior room.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
^I hope that Lexus reworks their sedan lineup a bit for the next generation, and the LS/ES relationship needs to be addressed or the ES will cannibalize LS sales just like it did GS. I have been saying for many years that the ES is one of Lexus' greatest strengths as well as greatest weaknesses and people often don't believe me. As a value proposition from what is still a value luxury brand, ES being large and inexpensive with all of the right face value luxury features steals the value and appeal for GS/LS and even sends some IS shoppers upmarket, since it costs the same, and in America, we think size = $$.

Ideally, for next gen in my POV:

IS should remain the same size, roughly... an entry level sedan product has global appeal if Lexus spec'ed it with the right powertrains for international markets. Maybe it moves to eTNGA, TNGA-K or smaller version of TNGA-N... not sure it really needs a RWD chassis going forward with electronics, AWD and everything else.

ES should be more truly midsize, instead of small full-size. Similar to 5er/E/A6, sized like the Camry. This would give the LS some breathing room as Lexus' largest and flagship sedan, whereas some current LS shoppers are walking away with an ES because it has more rear seat space and headroom.

ES-L built on the larger/longer TNGA-K platform for China.

LS needs to be re-engineered and re-packaged as the current car is way too big/long to have so little interior space with a V6 motor. Stays full size, more interior room.
A couple of thoughts, I think the IS should remain RWD. The balance is better and weight distribution is more even.

I think Lexus isn't alone in the flaw of making some of the sedans too big. What is the point of the S Class/7 Series/A8/LS? They are all too big and long and don't sell. They LOOK too long and are unappealing. It is the reason why the Germans in particular have added entry level sedans to take the place of the size of the old C/3/A4s. All the models grew larger and now the biggest ones are so large nobody needs them. The E/5/A6 and ES are really as big as you need. Why the manufacturers would trade the higher end for the lower end is beyond me.

I live in a city, I have no interest in a car over say 185 inches in length. Old school 3 series used to 170 inches in length, not it is around 185! The sedans are much longer than the SUVs, maybe that is also pushing people away from the sedans...?

In a way I wish Lexus killed the ES, and let Toyota serve that market and had Lexus offer the IS, GS, and LS as their sedans. All of them RWD with available AWD, with the IS/RC maintaining a stick shift. A pipe dream I know....