5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
^
Exactly what I mean by cluttering UI with not-all-the-time necessary elements on screen being shown all the time. Screen is so wide that there should be no tapping zones on the far right. As you can tell this guy is reaching to tap something on the right edge of the screen. Clock should have been on the right side of the housing as well. I'm pretty sure Lexus designers know all that but this was probably cheaper and more flexible solution that required least amount of retrofitting but in the end it results in subpar touchscreen experience.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Word on the street is that the Tundra will roll out an entirely new generation of infotainment from Toyota later this year, so once Toyota has it, I assume Lexus will get it later. I look forward to putting the current generation of joysticks, remote touch, semi-touch screen, tablets, etc. behind us for something more cohesive.

Reactions

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Word on the street is that the Tundra will roll out an entirely new generation of infotainment from Toyota later this year, so once Toyota has it, I assume Lexus will get it later. I look forward to putting the current generation of joysticks, remote touch, semi-touch screen, tablets, etc. behind us for something more cohesive.

i was going to write "you will be disappointed" simply because that is how JDM roles, but... they did start new company with TRI for infotainment, and this might be the precise reason.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
i was going to write "you will be disappointed" simply because that is how JDM roles, but... they did start new company with TRI for infotainment, and this might be the precise reason.
I was going to say the same. There aren't really "elegant" ways to integrate screens larger than 14 inch into a car...Tesla style works and sells.

So far the only good solution that provides large screen area without ruining aesthetics is split screen (i.e. JLR/Infiniti/Audi style) but it's out of fashion now. Or do the Honda e's super long screen but that costs a lot to make.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I like these videos but am unsure of how they will be used. Between this and the new "Obsession" campaign for the IS, it feels like Lexus might be going back to what they're good at.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

I like these videos but am unsure of how they will be used. Between this and the new "Obsession" campaign for the IS, it feels like Lexus might be going back to what they're good at.

Hope that now is Lexus turn and the TTV6 hybrid is a gamechanger.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^They call the V6 "3.0 liter" and "3.5 liters" in almost the same sentence. And reference it both ways in other parts of the article. A little more proof reading, Motor1, a little more proof reading.

But I am encouraged to hear about the revisions to the V35A and 10AT.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Also they write about the LS lacking massage seats, which I was pretty surprised to hear about. Is that a Euro-spec omission or just the usual annoying "F-Sport doesn't let you have luxury features" thing?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^No surprises there, but still interesting to see and hear. A lot of the same things other reviewers and previous LS owners have said: Needs a V8 and the interior packaging is disappointing with limited headroom and rear seat space.

I'm already excited for the 6th gen LS, and optimistic Lexus learned some of these hard lessons and will remedy them next time around.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Do we know anything about a potential 6LS? Have we heard any rumours or even confirmed a 6th gen is coming?

Reactions
^No surprises there, but still interesting to see and hear. A lot of the same things other reviewers and previous LS owners have said: Needs a V8 and the interior packaging is disappointing with limited headroom and rear seat space.

I'm already excited for the 6th gen LS, and optimistic Lexus learned some of these hard lessons and will remedy them next time around.

I really don't know why I have such a soft spot for this car, but I really do for some reason.