CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Has anyone seen any photos of the F Sport in black/nebula grey/other darker colors?

The changes aren't that subtle to me, the whole thing is extremely refined. I honestly think if you're a fan of the "coupe SUV" look that the germans have been going after, this is a strong style contender while still not looking like the smoothed-to-hell offerings out there already.

I am not one to speak out usually about design since it's quite subjective, but I really liked Mercedes' stuff from until they got onto this latest design ideology. It just seems like you go to their site and they're offering 30 different variations of the same grey, smooth luxury blob (excluding the hard edged AMGs and some of the top flagship stuff).

Maybe others feel differently, I would be curious to hear other views, but when i'm a car guy and I can't tell if that's a C, or E, or S class from most angles unless i'm relatively close and have an unobstructed view, that sort of does a disservice to the massive investment you've made in differentiating those vehicles.

BMW isn't quite as bad yet design wise, but holy christ their vehicle lineup confuses the hell out of me.

Like holy analysis-paralysis do I want the 4 door version of the 2 door version of the 4 door version, or do i want the hatchback version of the 2 door version of the 4 door version, or maybe i want an SUV version of whichever i go with, but one with a "coupe" look to it, and then there's M sport and M, X#M etc.

Getting back to the new RX:
I think the tuners/designers are going to do some interesting stuff with this. I am really curious to see what sorts of body kits come out for this thing, and the fact that they have seperate F sport appearance and F sport performance packages is really great. That was a huge complaint of mine before - why can't i have the F sport exterior with all the luxury goodies of the non F sport (at least where i'm at, the F sport just didn't have the top of the line finishes and option combinations as the non-F sport).

To offer a package that comes with a cold air filter (and handling improvements), plus the addition of what is effectively self-driving capability in clear road conditions (the only kind you should use any contemporary system for, staying fully alert - referring to LTA + dynamic cruise control + better ped/bike detection [seems this might not be the full LSS+A that the LS has, upon further inspection, can anyone confirm?]), and then throw in android auto, carplay, and a touch screen is quite telling.

Is this facelifted RX perfect and a homerun? Probably not perfect, but nothing is, but homerun wouldn't be alien territory for the RX.

The real takeaway is that it seems like Lexus is realizing this stuff really does matter, and that they're doing this on a facelift makes me excited to see what the full new RX + whatever other new vehicles coming out come equipped with. I imagine in a future of simplified electric drive trains, and shared platforms and a move back to some car makers being essentially modern-day coach-builders, they're going to have to compete harder and differentiate more.

I want to see this in real life. If it's anything like say the RC F in pictures vs real life, this should look sharp.

Only complaint is the ride height on some of the vehicles, when combined with that dark wheel arch, not my preferred appearance but suspension can be easily addressed aftermarket.

Last edited:
Reactions
Has anyone seen any photos of the F Sport in black/nebula grey/other darker colors?

The changes aren't that subtle to me, the whole thing is extremely refined. I honestly think if you're a fan of the "coupe SUV" look that the germans have been going after, this is a strong style contender while still not looking like the smoothed-to-hell offerings out there already.

I am not one to speak out usually about design since it's quite subjective, but I really liked Mercedes' stuff from until they got onto this latest design ideology. It just seems like you go to their site and they're offering 30 different variations of the same grey, smooth luxury blob (excluding the hard edged AMGs and some of the top flagship stuff).

Maybe others feel differently, I would be curious to hear other views, but when i'm a car guy and I can't tell if that's a C, or E, or S class from most angles unless i'm relatively close and have an unobstructed view, that sort of does a disservice to the massive investment you've made in differentiating those vehicles.

BMW isn't quite as bad yet design wise, but holy christ their vehicle lineup confuses the hell out of me.

Like holy analysis-paralysis do I want the 4 door version of the 2 door version of the 4 door version, or do i want the hatchback version of the 2 door version of the 4 door version, or maybe i want an SUV version of whichever i go with, but one with a "coupe" look to it, and then there's M sport and M, X#M etc.

Getting back to the new RX:
I think the tuners/designers are going to do some interesting stuff with this. I am really curious to see what sorts of body kits come out for this thing, and the fact that they have seperate F sport appearance and F sport performance packages is really great. That was a huge complaint of mine before - why can't i have the F sport exterior with all the luxury goodies of the non F sport (at least where i'm at, the F sport just didn't have the top of the line finishes and option combinations as the non-F sport).

To offer a package that comes with a cold air filter (and handling improvements), plus the addition of what is effectively self-driving capability in clear road conditions (the only kind you should use any contemporary system for, staying fully alert - referring to LTA + dynamic cruise control + better ped/bike detection [seems this might not be the full LSS+A that the LS has, upon further inspection, can anyone confirm?]), and then throw in android auto, carplay, and a touch screen is quite telling.

Is this facelifted RX perfect and a homerun? Probably not perfect, but nothing is, but homerun wouldn't be alien territory for the RX.

The real takeaway is that it seems like Lexus is realizing this stuff really does matter, and that they're doing this on a facelift makes me excited to see what the full new RX + whatever other new vehicles coming out come equipped with. I imagine in a future of simplified electric drive trains, and shared platforms and a move back to some car makers being essentially modern-day coach-builders, they're going to have to compete harder and differentiate more.

I want to see this in real life. If it's anything like say the RC F in pictures vs real life, this should look sharp.

Only complaint is the ride height on some of the vehicles, when combined with that dark wheel arch, not my preferred appearance but suspension can be easily addressed aftermarket.
Hi
Are you based in the middle East? I face the same issues regarding Lexus RF sport where they don't have the full Options as the high end option! The sales men says that since it's an fsport version the vehicle should not come with Lane departure warning, mark Levinson speakers and other options as the top end version! They have the same engine but they talk BS!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

I have the same problem with recent Benzes, and it's exacerbated by seemingly every one sold being gray.

It could get worse, Cadillac announced that all of their cars will now be called "CT (number)-V", with a choice of engines. I guess BMW's "everything's an M" is spreading.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I have the same problem with recent Benzes, and it's exacerbated by seemingly every one sold being gray.

It could get worse, Cadillac announced that all of their cars will now be called "CT (number)-V", with a choice of engines. I guess BMW's "everything's an M" is spreading.

I'm seeing AMG 43 models everywhere, it's completely diluting the AMG brand. Didn't know that about Cadillac, but that's super confusing - haven't they changed naming conventions multiple times now? Hard to build a strong following when people feel like they're starting from scratch when shopping for a new car and they don't recognize any of the models.

GTG

Fan
Reactions
This is great , touch screen , that’s all that matters. Can’t wait to see the other new models with this integration . The Lc 500 and the Ls will be pushed to the front of the pack . No more fiddling with the mouse or touch whiles driving . Thank you God . The style of the new grill and lights make it look stronger .

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I'm not a fan of touchscreens but hopefully this new generation will be more reliable than the previous versions. Apparently Lexus is going to start installing the touchscreen option in further refreshes. Glad to see you still have the option to use the remote.

At first I wasn't seeing the changes in the headlights and tail lights but I went out in our shop to see a previous year model and now I can see the changes more clearly.

This touchscreen is super responsive, I was very impressed using it. I don't think many will have to use the Remote Touch controller anymore.

Reactions
This touchscreen is super responsive, I was very impressed using it. I don't think many will have to use the Remote Touch controller anymore.
Hi does the touchscreen block the visibility out of the windshield?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

how were you happy with positioning and ability to reach it?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
This was supposed to arrive much earlier than it will, so there is an unspoken reason as to why it is coming so late. The first spy shots of an updated RX surfaced in the SUMMER of 2017! These changes definitely were designed 2 years ago, but I imagine that the infotainment change came last minute back in 2017 and warranted another 9 months. These updates were probably for late 2018/Q1 2019, but got pushed back to Q3 2019.

images
2019-lexus-rx-facelift-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100618877.jpg

A new GA-K RX seems like Q4 2021 is the earliest it will appear. Ideally, all K platform products need to be dead by 2021. The K Platform has been in production since November 2000 and was planned from 1995, plus it's originating model nameplate has already moved to TNGA as of December 2019. 21 years in use is enough.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
This was supposed to arrive much earlier than it will, so there is an unspoken reason as to why it is coming so late...These changes definitely were designed 2 years ago, but I imagine that the infotainment change came last minute back in 2017 and warranted another 9 months. These updates were probably for late 2018/Q1 2019, but got pushed back to Q3 2019.
2nd and 3rd-gen RX were on a 6-year cycle with a refresh on the 4th model year. That would've suggested that 4RX's refresh should've come for the 2019 model year. Besides the infotainment update, could managing the 3-row RX L product cadence been a secondary reason for the roughly one-year delay for the refresh?

@Carmaker1 : Am I correct in that RX L was rushed into production to calm U.S. dealer clamor for a 3-row crossover (as opposed to BOF GX and LX)? Given RX L's November 2017 (2018 MY) launch, it should've gotten a facelift after a single model year (for 2019 MY) if we go by the 2-row RX model cycle and conventional wisdom. Seems like all they're doing is keeping 4RX's originally-intended 6-year cycle (maybe extended by a few months) but moving the mid-life refresh to the 4th (instead of 3rd) model year to accommodate both the infotainment update and RX L launch roughly 2.5 years after 2-row RX. Or am I wrong?

A new GA-K RX seems like Q4 2021 is the earliest it will appear...The K Platform has been in production since November 2000...plus its originating model nameplate has already moved to TNGA as of December 2019...
That "originating nameplate" was the original Toyota Highlander, correct?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Hi does the touchscreen block the visibility out of the windshield?

how were you happy with positioning and ability to reach it?

The touchscreen is easily reachable, but a little awkward reaching up so high to use it. I'll be posting this video as a front-page story in the next hour, but here's a good look at how the system works:

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2020 Lexus RX First Drive: Blink and You’ll Miss It
Lexus's bestseller is very, very lightly updated.

Whether or not we’d recommend the RX is beside the point; we expect it to keep plowing its way through the sales charts, at least until gas prices spike and the NX and UX start to eclipse it (as they are primed to do in markets outside of North America). The RX is handsome and competent, and thanks to the freshened infotainment systems, it’s now much easier to use. If we were in Lexus’s position, we wouldn’t have changed more, either.

2020 Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h Review: Pura Vida
From Costa Rica to the world, the RX shows its updates

The Lexus RX won our very first SUV of the Year award back in 1999, and it's a pioneer in the crossover segment, becoming the first unibody SUV that delivered a "carlike" ride with the seating position and interior space of an SUV. Since then, it has thrived in the segment, becoming Lexus' most popular model by far, surpassing all of the brand's sedan sales combined. With its updated styling, better technology, advanced safety, and Pura Vida attitude, the 2020 Lexus RX will continue to be the brand's sales leader when it arrives at dealers at the end of August. This much-needed update will bring a breeze of fresh air to the crossover. A full redesign is expected in the next two to three years.

Continuous improvement...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-07-22-lexus-rx-reviews-2020.jpg

Reviews for the updated 2020 Lexus RX crossover have been posted on automotive outlets online, here are a few choice cuts for your perusal.

Dan Frio from Edmunds likes the handling improvements, but admits the differences are minor:

Thanks to a stiffer body structure and revised suspension settings, the RX’s handling has a little more bite and immediacy changing direction when setting up for quick turns. It’s a subtle change aided by the RX’s new torque-vectoring system, which brakes the inside wheel during cornering to keep the RX on its line.
Fundamentally, the RX’s dynamic character isn’t altered. The RX hasn’t morphed into an Audi Q5 or even an Acura RDX. And that’s OK. Knife-edge handling has never been the RX’s bag, and we think it’s far more valuable for its smooth and absorbent ride...

Continue reading...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-07-23-lexus-rx-crossover-2020-2.jpg

The 2020 Lexus RX has brought updates to both the interior and exterior, with the highlight being a new infotainment touchscreen interface. Let’s take a look at the refreshed crossover from all angles and trim levels.

RX 350 F SPORT in Matador Red

19-07-22-gallery-lexus-rx-location-7-400x200.jpg

19-07-22-gallery-lexus-rx-location-8-400x200.jpg

19-07-22-gallery-lexus-rx-location-6-400x200.jpg

19-07-22-gallery-lexus-rx-location-5-400x200.jpg

19-07-22-gallery-lexus-rx-location-4-400x200.jpg

Continue reading...

Reactions
Reports are showing that 2020 RX will eliminate satin cashmere metallic and autumn shimmer and adds nori green metallic and moonbeam beige metallic.
As of interior, there will be no gray interior or noble brown interior, however noble brown will be available on RXL models, there is a new interior color, BIRCH, as of early pictures, it looks fabulous.
2020 RX’s are being built in August and should be in dealers mid September. All RX models will be available at launch.87440EFB-D468-4624-A813-3B539D7C126B.jpeg

Last edited:

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
Reports are showing that 2020 RX will eliminate satin cashmere metallic and autumn shimmer and adds nori green metallic and moonbeam beige metallic.
As of interior, there will be no gray interior or noble brown interior, however noble brown will be available on RXL models, there is a new interior color, BIRCH, as of early pictures, it looks fabulous.
2020 RX’s are being built in August and should be in dealers mid September. All RX models will be available at launch.View attachment 3377

I don't know about that timeline because we still have 2019 RX allocation that hasn't been built yet and we probably won't see those units until late August or September. We have 2020 NX's in transit already but no 2020 RX allocation as of today.