Introducing the Updated 2018 Lexus NX & NX F SPORT

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-03-28-lexus-nx-update-shanghai.jpg

The refresh promises an updated exterior design and interior convenience and functionality.
View the original article post

D

DDas

Don't mean to be rude against the NX, but I hope, HOPE, the US base model's front end is fixed. I know they had to make it that way for the fuel economy law or something, but it was horribly integrated.
I'm ready for some interior updates too. I know people who have said the interior is so cheap.
Cant wait to see it!

Reactions
Lexus really needs to do more than just do a little surgery with refreshes. No, they need to make it more of a semi-redesign, and give it more suspension changes, better packaging, and course, the turbo engines. The Germans seem to add 10 horsepower every time white asparagus is in season. Seriously, read the reviews, make it more competitive. With all regards to Lexus.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Lexus will be adding a NX300t or a NX350. Wishful thinking!
Well, Toyota did register an NX 300 (no "h") trademark just over a year ago. Might they deploy it starting with the upcoming NX facelift? And, if so, what does it mean? Here are the possibilities, ranked from most to least likely IMO:

1) As Lexus moves away from its honest 200t badging for its turbos to BMW/Mercedes/Lexus hybrid-like arbitrary equivalencies, 200t=300, and, thus, NX 300 is nothing more than the new badge for the NX 200t. It would be nice if the 8AR-FTS would get a little power boost over its current 235 in that application.

2) NX in North America gains a third engine option: a low-output version of the 2GR 3.5-liter V6, akin to the 255 hp version of the 2GR-FSE 3.5-liter V6 used on the IS 300 AWD and RC 300 AWD. It would make the NX smoother and more properly Lexus-like, plus making it a worthier and more direct rival to the Acura RDX. And, by using the lower-output version of the V6, it avoids stepping on RX 350's toes, which, being larger and heavier, uses the more powerful 2GR-FKS. (See: Mercedes-AMG and Porsche playbook, which uses detuned versions of their engines on their smaller and lighter cars in order to avoid cannibalizing sales of their larger, more profitable models).

Much as I'd love for this to happen, I think it's far less likely than option 1.

3) Lexus puts an actual 3-liter V6 in NX, be it an updated 3GR 3-liter V6 (an engine that lasted all of one year on the 3rd-gen Lexus GS 300) or an all-new 3-liter naturally aspirated V30A-FKS V6 engine derived from the new LS 500's V35-FTS 3.5 twin turbo. Now this would be somewhere between wishful thinking and a very long-shot possibility.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Current NX headlights for comparison:
14-07-05-lexus-nx-premium-headlights.jpg

The shape doesn't seem to have changed but the arrangement of the LEDs inside have.
The new lights look a lot like the RCFs headlights layout don't they?

Reactions: Den

S10

Reactions
New infotainment is top priority. Lexus is as always lagging behind in that regard. Bigger screen, Apple Car Play and Android, and better navigation graphics.

Reactions
New infotainment is top priority. Lexus is as always lagging behind in that regard. Bigger screen, Apple Car Play and Android, and better navigation graphics.
I agree. But that is just what makes Lexus unique.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Android auto and Apple Carplay must be a hot potato at Lexus. On the one hand the systems do not seem to be up to the high standard that one would expect (and there are the licensing issues as well), while on the other hand Lexus really needs to update the UI to have an easier learning curve - and for the system to be better at guiding the user to achieve what they want with minimal distraction from driving.

I'm looking forward to the update, but am still much more anxious to learn what will happen to GS and CT.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
eh, some japanese mag had this pinned down just few weeks ago but i cant find a link... they had info for every new lexus/toyota in japan for 2017 and this NX change was first on the list.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Now, with an updated exterior design, and interior enhancements that add convenience and functionality, the NX is poised to meet the needs of global luxury consumers.
I hope that "interior enhancements that add convenience" means that the infotainment system will be redesigned.

Benito

Fan
Reactions
The updated NX better have a more Eurostyled grill without the overbite. Updated infotainment system and improved interior would also be high on my list. With these changes I'd consider one to replace my 2011 RX450h.