Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Preach.

Lmao what? Even Jaguar has an upper level performance sedan too (though it's a little subpar but you get my point). Lexus is literally the only one without an upper level performance sedan right now.
Crap! I can't believe I totally forgot about the SV Project 8, It is probably the most tryhard car in this class. Hell, so Lexus really is the only brand in this class with no high or mid-performance option, even Genesis has one!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-06-21-lexus-is-f-rendering.jpg

For all the rumours about a V8 powered IS 500, last week’s launch of the refreshed sedan made no mention of new engines whatsoever.
This didn’t deter the website Motor Illustrated, who have rendered a very convincing IS F design based on last week’s reveal.
20-06-21-lexus-is-f-rendering-rear.jpg

The 2021 Lexus IS has shaken the enthusiast community, who were hoping for more changes to the sports sedan. Instead, the existing model has been...

[url=https://lexusenthusiast.com/2020/06/21/rendered-the-2021-lexus-is-f-would-have-looked-good/]Continue reading...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Provoking/pushing/proding Lexus with ideas via renders don't cost much.

And since when did a render get a car manufacturer's total buy-in anyway? :)

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I can understand Lexus' conundrum.

Announce the IS500, IS450h+, ISF, etc. during the reveal and have these IS300 and IS350 languishing in the dealership parking lots and other warehouses because of poor uptake because there is no improvement in power or fuel economy. Much nicer exterior and now with CP and AA though.

So what did Lexus do, pre-select Univision's question about the ISF and hint that it is coming. Only a few of us paid attention to that marketing racket.

These upgraded powertrain and suspension/chassis are definitely coming. Lexus would not have upgraded all these suspension components and body components and leave just the IS300 and IS350 as the offering.

Even the 2021 TLX Type S is very much anticipated, especially the price of entry.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I can understand Lexus' conundrum.

Announce the IS500, IS450h+, ISF, etc. during the reveal and have these IS300 and IS350 languishing in the dealership parking lots and other warehouses because of poor uptake because there is no improvement in power or fuel economy. Much nicer exterior and now with CP and AA though.

So what did Lexus do, pre-select Univision's question about the ISF and hint that it is coming. Only a few of us paid attention to that marketing racket.

These upgraded powertrain and suspension/chassis are definitely coming. Lexus would not have upgraded all these suspension components and body components and leave just the IS300 and IS350 as the offering.

Even the 2021 TLX Type S is very much anticipated, especially the price of entry.

^I don't think that is exactly how it works. People don't disregard 330i and 340i because the M3 exists - they buy what they can afford, and if anything, those halo models help to sell lesser ones because people want something similar.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^I don't think that is exactly how it works. People don't disregard 330i and 340i because the M3 exists - they buy what they can afford, and if anything, those halo models help to sell lesser ones because people want something similar.

You are forgetting no one with an IS, such as yourself, would upgrade to the current 3.3IS offerings. It makes little sense, financially, mechanically, intelligence-wise. I would entertained the idea with a performance hybrid (50 MPG and up though) but not a regular hybrid such as the current IS300h in Europe.

For others who want a Lexus, they may wait. For those who don't think more IS trims are coming, they may settler for the 3.3IS. For those who want a budget sports sedan and is brand agnostic, the base 2TLX with SH-AWD will be a very compelling purchase. Starts at the low $40's here in Canada.

Might as well buy Toyota stocks to support the company.

With BMW, even the 330i is going to make mince meat of the 350 AWD F Sport so people (who lease) are okay with the 330i, or even the 330e which is prices so low in Canada to avail of the Federal EV rebate, but that is of very limited quantity (as usual).

Reactions
One word, "Profit"!!! The F cars just don't make enough money to justify their existence. That at least is probably what the marketing and finance guys are saying. And that's where someone like Koji Sato should come in and teach them that without taking risks again and generating excitement behind the brand, Lexus will never reach its potential or even come close to competing with the Germans. Such a shame...

D

DDas

I feel like they just walked in and slapped me in the face with this..why Lexus? Why can't we have more F products...
Right?! With the GS going, does it mean the GSF will go too? Or will the GSF ride as a Lone-F model? I doubt the latter, so when it goes, the RCF will be the only F model until we get the LCF. BUT that's two coupe F models. We need a sedan F. A crossover/SUV F. Come on, Lexus! What's going on with you? Bring back 2013-2014 Lexus that was creating new models and updating current ones so frequently!

suxeL

Follower
Reactions

The M3 brings in the crowd who then settle for an a 330i or 340i etc etc so similar with the F model. HOWEVER having said that, the cheaper trims wont "languish in a dealership" with a lack of F models, plenty of folks exist who are nearing the MY17-8 leases that need something that the IS offers and will jump in for a renew. New look, coupled with minor creature comforts and safety upgrades should keep the wheels moving for the first 6 months. After that, incentives and residuals will takeover I assume.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
One word, "Profit"!!! The F cars just don't make enough money to justify their existence. That at least is probably what the marketing and finance guys are saying. And that's where someone like Koji Sato should come in and teach them that without taking risks again and generating excitement behind the brand, Lexus will never reach its potential or even come close to competing with the Germans. Such a shame...

Agree. Buying a luxury car is really a non-sensible purchase, but the consumer's emotion is a very powerful "business case". This however is built over time from the brand continually creating excitement through an exciting and competitive product portfolio...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
BMW M3 and M5 don't bring the crowd anymore, they already did that. With those cars they just keep the crowd through enthusiasts.

Lexus on the other hand, strarted but has not finished, so has to restart again, but in a less favourable market/business environment. Audi did the same thing as Lexus, but they were consistent and persistant. A5 Coupe and mostly R8 brought the crowds, all the rest is there to keep them. Now should there be no more R8 next gen, as per rumors, Audi will not suffer. Lexus if they cancel the LC F? They should have better never announced it, beecause everyone, even the haters, are waiting for it.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
even come close to competing with the Germans

I've said that on another thread. It's like I want to love Lexus wholeheartedly, but when almost every product they put out is inferior to the Germans in all ways but reliability - it's sad. I'm not a spec-sheet obsessor, but I'd take a wager on 85%+ of car fans are.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Would have been nice to see an ISF coming into fruition. However, I doubt anything beyond an IS500 would happen and I think it will have the TT V6 at best. The days of high-revving V8 are numbered. The European emissions are getting more and more stringent. The RCF is barey legal in Europe with a de-tuned engine making 464 PS instead of 480 PS. Lexus will finish out the refreshed RCF, RCF track edition and LC500 and that will be end of it.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Right?! With the GS going, does it mean the GSF will go too? Or will the GSF ride as a Lone-F model? I doubt the latter, so when it goes, the RCF will be the only F model until we get the LCF. BUT that's two coupe F models. We need a sedan F. A crossover/SUV F. Come on, Lexus! What's going on with you? Bring back 2013-2014 Lexus that was creating new models and updating current ones so frequently!

GSF is discontinued already. 2020 was the last year. It did not receive the updates that the RCF received.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Would have been nice to see an ISF coming into fruition. However, I doubt anything beyond an IS500 would happen and I think it will have the TT V6 at best. The days of high-revving V8 are numbered. The European emissions are getting more and more stringent. The RCF is barey legal in Europe with a de-tuned engine making 464 PS instead of 480 PS. Lexus will finish out the refreshed RCF, RCF track edition and LC500 and that will be end of it.

I agree. With all the emissions restrictions, I don't see Lexus putting the 5L V8 in the IS. Also, this engine is too exclusive to be in a non-F-labeled IS, as an "IS 500".

With this in mind, and seeing how Lexus' nomenclature strategy has evolved, perhaps rumors of the 2.4L T may actually be potent enough to honor the "500" badge. But the power numbers from that 4cyl , IMO, need to be in the upper 380+ hp / lb-ft torque which I'm skeptical.