krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-09-30-lexus-is-2021-hero.jpg

The updated 2021 Lexus IS will start at $39,000 USD when it reaches dealerships in October, as a new press release details all the changes to the sports sedan.
The third IS refresh features a “driving signature” developed at the new Toyota test track in Japan, with a extensive exterior redesign and an updated multimedia system featuring Apple Carplay & Android Auto.

20-09-30-lexus-is-side-blue.jpg

2021 IS developed using the new Lexus Driving Signature
Tested and developed at new technical center in Shimoyama, Japan
Driving performance enhanced through rigidity, chassis and suspension enhancements
New Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 offers enhanced standard safety features
New multimedia system with available 10.3-inch touchscreen
Starting MSRP of $39,000

PLANO, Texas (September 30, 2020) – Finding the perfect balance of sportiness and sophistication...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Looks like 3rd extensive facelift. So same powertrains. But it is not like ES powertrains are mindblowing either. I think the most important change this IS will bring is the interior (that I like but many find outdated). Yes, no high-performance engines, but compared to the common, 4 cylinder A4/C Class/3 Series, what do those have more/better?

At least we can put to rest one of the many "Future IS" rumors, the one that there is none coming in the near term. What about the one after this one though? Haha...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
So "New" gives it away that it will be mild refresh because typically manufacturers use "All New" for a complete model overhaul announcement? Good thing Lexus didn't use "Like New" haha.

Maybe this will look more like the LS upfront and it's already looking like the UX in the rear.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looks like 3rd extensive facelift. So same powertrains. But it is not like ES powertrains are mindblowing either. I think the most important change this IS will bring is the interior (that I like but many find outdated). Yes, no high-performance engines, but compared to the common, 4 cylinder A4/C Class/3 Series, what do those have more/better?

M.P.G.

While we all sit here and want more power, the current IS engines are shamefully inefficient compared to the competition and it's something real shoppers do/will care about. It's nice that we're in an environment right now where oil is $30/barrel and premium is $2.40/gallon, but its extremely unlikely that prices will stay that low for much longer.

I'm not sure how you really compare the IS to the competition. When you look at price, performance and options:

IS 300 = A4 40 TFSI, 2 Series, A class, G70 2.0T

IS 350 = 330i, A4 45 TFSI, Mercedes C300, G70 2.0T, TLX 2.0T

The IS 350 no longer competes with the G70 3.3T, 340i, S4 or C43, TLX Type S, IMO, unless you're looking only at cylinder count.

... and this doesn't take into account the hack job IS 300 AWD with a 260hp GR V6 and 6AT with 18/24MPG. The 330i xDrive returns 25/34, the C300 4matic does 23/33 and the A4 45 TFSI quattro does 24/32.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
At least North America may now be getting a hybrid version for the 3.3IS.

I was in Taiwan in December and majority of the IS I saw there were hybrids.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Don't put your hopes up for a powertrain update. The 2GR-FKS was introduced in 2015, so it's a 'new' engine by Lexus standards. The 8AR-FTS is similarly 'new'.

The 2.4T engine is way too important so I am certain it will launch on an equally important model like the NX.

So "New" gives it away that it will be mild refresh because typically manufacturers use "All New" for a complete model overhaul announcement? Good thing Lexus didn't use "Like New" haha.

Maybe this will look more like the LS upfront and it's already looking like the UX in the rear.
The 2016 facelift was called the 'New IS'. On the other hand, the original 2013 IS was also called 'New IS'.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I just wish they thought to add more power to this IS and maybe they will (doubtful). I always thought the IS looked so sporty but in the engine department lacked that extra HP. I'm sure this "New" IS will look the part but will it be the part? We'll see soon I guess. Hey at least we are getting some news from Lexus!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Pulling over from the other IS thread and updating slightly: My prediction for USA:

- Same car, heavy refresh with new bumpers, exterior lighting and an updated interior a la 2014 LS 460
- 2.0T 8AR-FTS on all models (carryover) "IS 300"
- 2GR-FKS V6 available only on the F Sport model "IS 350 F-Sport"
- New infotainment (Carplay, AA, Alexa) as part of the interior refresh
- Latest Lexus safety systems added
- Some suspension changes so they can claim it's the best driver's car in the segment as teased in their announcement this morning
- Some new colors and new wheels
/end scene

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko , ok
I have no problem with FL, but for God sake, why they created the GA-L & GA-N, if they won't use them !!!

for those will corrected me that the Century, LS & LC are on GA-L & Crown are on GA-N

Those 4 are rare selling vehicles, and they need a lot of time to return back both GA variants R&D

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko , ok
I have no problem with FL, but for God sake, why they created the GA-L & GA-N, if they won't use them !!!

for those will corrected me that the Century, LS & LC are on GA-L & Crown are on GA-N

Those 4 are rare selling vehicles, and they need a lot of time to return back both GA variants R&D
The Century is based on the LS600hL so it's an old platform. The wheelbase is the same 3090mm.

'Why did we create GA-N?' is probably a question Lexus engineers ask themselves. Most products they can build on it have been cancelled and it will not be converted into an EV platform. The answer is probably 'we delayed so many products to the point any new ones are outdated from Day 1 so let's concede defeat and focus on E-TNGA for the next gen'.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The Century is based on the LS600hL so it's an old platform. The wheelbase is the same 3090mm.

'Why did we create GA-N?' is probably a question Lexus engineers ask themselves. Most products they can build on it have been cancelled and it will not be converted into an EV platform. The answer is probably 'we delayed so many products to the point any new ones are outdated from Day 1 so let's concede defeat and focus on E-TNGA for the next gen'.

This is exactly my thought as well. I think GA-N and GA-L were created at and for a different time, and are probably not very relevant for Toyota going forward with market shifts and economic pressures. It's either that or there will be new products on those platforms that we don't know about yet. Longer term, I'd love to see RX, ES and RC on either of the RWD platforms, but not sure that's realistic.

GA-N for Crown and Mirai, and GA-L for LC, LS and LF-1 just doesn't seem feasible as a long term investment, IMO. Especially in the era where AWD and batteries become the great equalizers.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Question in the Lexus infotainment in general, which ones with CP/AA have touch screens?

I find it weird to find out that for some other car manufacturers, they don't have a touch screen interface. Our 16RAV4's infotainment screen, although crude, is touch-screen based. There is no mouse pointer to mess around but then the system is so old that there's no need to go deep down as three or four sublevels.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One of the two will be the new IS hybrid. What could the other one be?

If there is a powertrain update it will be the hybrid. The old 2AR-FSE system is discontinued with EOL of GS300h and keeping a limited production run just for the IS300h no longer makes sense. It's more reasonable to share the Crown hybrid's A25A-FXS system since that is now cheaper to build than the old system.

Last edited: