7th Generation (2019+) Lexus ES (250, 260, 300h, 350) Megathread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Interesting...when my dad drives his ES, he hardly uses the NAV. He prefers to open Google Maps instead. Now I just wish Carplay was available on the previous ES.

because it is so much easier. Manufacturers lost that race, I dont think they care though.

Reactions
because it is so much easier. Manufacturers lost that race, I dont think they care though.
Honestly, I just wish he waited one more year for the new 2019 ES (his is a 2017), and even though the first batch of 2019s didn't have it, Carplay could've been installed. But given the demographic of the ES (He's retired), I'm not surprised.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The Gen10 nav is honestly really good. The major advantage of Apple Maps/Google Maps via CarPlay is mostly that they're more traffic-aware and will seamlessly send you to faster routes. The Lexus nav attempts to do that but isn't as good at it yet.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The Gen10 nav is honestly really good. The major advantage of Apple Maps/Google Maps via CarPlay is mostly that they're more traffic-aware and will seamlessly send you to faster routes. The Lexus nav attempts to do that but isn't as good at it yet.

i think input might be the biggest problem.. I can see people wanting to jump off the bridge instead of using Audi's methods of selecting the destination, and I am sure it is very similar for other non touch screen setups.

With touch screen, you still have too many prompts but selecting it all is really self explanatory vs trackpad or wheel.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I find it amazing the infotainment issues can be addressed with a phone mount and a couple of cables, but it still seems to be such a sore point.

Yes, it could be better. Does it meaningfully impact my use of my car, or my enjoyment of it? Not at all.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
True. I have the same smartphone mount model on the dashboard for all three vehicles because it works across our smartphones from the smallest 6s to the iPhone 11 Max Pro / Samsung S10+. When I rent cars, I just attach a spare one and use 3M VHB double sided tape.

None of our vehicles have CP/AA but you don't see me complaining haha because I was used to driving without those anyway.

Still, a cheap investment in infotainment systems can bump the reputation and prestige of any luxury car maker a few notches. Just look at Mercedes funky interior for the cheaper models below the C. :)

Last edited:

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions

Yes....I love the new navigation Toyota/Lexus is using. Input could be easier. Apple Car play I am not really a big fan, it is nice to have but I don't use it all that often in the new Avalon.

Will1991

Reactions
@F1 Silver Arrows , from the Sienna thread about the 2.5L HEV powertrain, check this out:

I haven't driven a ES, but I got to do a short drive on a 2.5L HEV Camry and it was quite good, excellent on refinement. Considering the ES is bigger, with better materials and sound insulation... A ES300h should be one of the most NVH free cars of it's segment. I would go for the Hybrid over the V6 any day.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
something that needs to be mentioned here is that ES350 has a lot better powertrain mapping than a Camry or other Toyota GR implementations. Supposedly shifts are smoother and overall it makes for a lot better engine.

Will1991

Reactions
@spwolf , even next to the ES350 Savagegeese still prefers the Hybrid.

Not saying he owns the truth, but it does show how well built this last generation 2.5L Hybrid powertrain is.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , even next to the ES350 Savagegeese still prefers the Hybrid.

Not saying he owns the truth, but it does show how well built this last generation 2.5L Hybrid powertrain is.

yeah, i was not comparing it to 300h, just mentioning something i have saw before and that might not be stressed enough.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
something that needs to be mentioned here is that ES350 has a lot better powertrain mapping than a Camry or other Toyota GR implementations. Supposedly shifts are smoother and overall it makes for a lot better engine.

Where did you read this? I do not think this is the case at all... Camry, ES and Avalon all have the same "drag and drop" V6 and 8AT. Gear ratios on the 8AT are the exact same, and they use the exact same ATF. Throttle input/ECT-i could be tuned differently, but I highly doubt that. It is a super smooth and powerful powertrain by itself - no need to make it any better or different for Lexus, IMO.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Where did you read this? I do not think this is the case at all... Camry, ES and Avalon all have the same "drag and drop" V6 and 8AT. Gear ratios on the 8AT are the exact same, and they use the exact same ATF. Throttle input/ECT-i could be tuned differently, but I highly doubt that. It is a super smooth and powerful powertrain by itself - no need to make it any better or different for Lexus, IMO.

I have heard this too. Not sure how. I drive the new Avalon, it is definitely tunes for fuel economy while in normal mode. I read the ES350 is more lively.
Something else, I believe Toyota is not telling anyone but to get the full 301hp, you need premium (I am convinced)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I heard it here:

From 0:55 up to 2:20 more or less.

Interesting. I like savagegeese a lot, but I think the differences he is perceiving are perhaps around NVH/tires/wheels differences. Not sure exactly what type of rubber they put on the ES 350 UL, but my sense is that it's probably something a bit softer and the wheels are 18".

The Camry XSE V6 he drove has 19" wheels with sportier, lower profile tires. A smaller wheel with softer rubber is going to burn out easier and "feel faster" in a high power FWD car, vs the Camry XSE V6, which has larger wheels, stickier rubber and more rolling mass. No idea what Avalon trim he drove - I see the TRD, but that was 3 weeks ago and this review is 1 year old.

My .02.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It would be awesome to see Lexus put the "350h" hybrid powertrain in the ES with the E-four AWD. I really like the ES 300h, but with a heavy foot, I need just a liiiittle more power. Maybe for the refresh? If not, definitely next gen, if not something even newer by then.