5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt Thanks Sir!!! Yeah the Manganese is going to be awesome!!! I'm going to have to find a nice car cover since I will only be driving it on the weekends. Friday-Sunday.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@Gecko haha funny sir!!

I'm not kidding :)

This thread is for broader discussions, impressions and reviews about the LS... if you have specific questions for a specific user, that is a great time to use the private message feature. Otherwise this thread keeps getting bumped to the top of the forum and it's only relevant to you and Ian.

Also, please remember that instead of posting repeatedly, you can you edit/add comments into one post to consolidate the number of piecemeal posts being made. We talked about this before.

Third, I am deleting your ES question since that is not relevant to this thread.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
LS at SEMA

2019-lexus-ls-custom.jpg

2019-lexus-ls-custom.jpg

2019-lexus-ls-custom.jpg

2019-lexus-ls-custom.jpg

2019-lexus-ls-custom.jpg

2019-lexus-ls-custom.jpg

2019-lexus-ls-custom.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Morning guys. This **** with the LS500 is some of the most **** smelling foulness I have ever read. It's up for the Motortend car of the year award and this piece is just bias as all hell and makes me wonder if they even like lexus at all. link below

-m

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus/ls/2018/lexus-ls-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/

It wasn't that bad, IMO, and is somewhat fair.

Agree:
- Pro: "Smaller than it's size" agility
- Pro: Amazing Stereo
- Pro: Beautiful interior
- Con: Harsh powertrain/engine gets rough
- Con: Lack of V8 is a problem
- Con: Small back seat

Disagree:
- Con: "worse body integrity"...wtf?

The COTY list this year is really strange. The only one I can see winning is the Honda Clarity, perhaps the Avalon or Corolla? MT wasn't particularly kind to the new ES, nor many of the other vehicles on their list.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The COTY list this year is really strange. The only one I can see winning is the Honda Clarity, perhaps the Avalon or Corolla? MT wasn't particularly kind to the new ES, nor many of the other vehicles on their list.

Ford Transit Connect FTW

Reactions
Guys take a look at the article again. Notice something very odd in terms of performance (0-60 times) between the hybrid and the gas version. It seems like they can't give any f*cks at all to pay any further attention to certain cars (let alone the horrid review and constant bashing). Still though, MotorTrend has shat the bed a millennia ago, and this example of crapshoot journalism is proof.

I strongly believed for the longest time that Car and Driver was tons worse (and I thought I did, since everything was a mess over there), but I couldn't be any more wrong. While they were unfair towards companies and cars that they did not favor for a point in time, they didn't flat out bash them for no reason and defame them, and they're still thousands of times more reasonable and fair in their journalism than MotorTrend will ever be (they even shoot out some good roasts to MT as well:yum).

Car and Driver's fan base and the journalists themselves still are biased, (the Honda Accord is their lovechild), I actually like their tinge of uniqueness and I really don't mind it at all. Moreover, I appreciate their genuine (meaning no bs) criticism and their point of view. One does need to make a shout out to two of my least favorite automotive journalists by far; Jonny Lieberman and Scott Evans. They also happen to be MotorTrend journalists as well. They're a disgrace to the automotive industry, this isn't because they bash Lexus and this is Lexus Enthusiast, it's simply down to their idiocy in their ideologies and lack of critical thinking. They spew whatever negative crap that comes to their mind first to anything that isn't their favorite car or car company. I still love some of the legends like Angus Mackenzie and some of the other journalists there, but those two......

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It wasn't that bad, IMO, and is somewhat fair.

Agree:
- Pro: "Smaller than it's size" agility
- Pro: Amazing Stereo
- Pro: Beautiful interior
- Con: Harsh powertrain/engine gets rough
- Con: Lack of V8 is a problem
- Con: Small back seat

Disagree:
- Con: "worse body integrity"...wtf?

I usually don't listen to much of anything that Motortrend says, but I feel here that they actually have some valid points.

First off, as we know from insider information, it is a fact that development of the 5LS was a conflicted process. Objectively looking at the car, it's mission in the marketplace is a conflicted one compared to previous generations of LS.

Also regarding worse body integrity, I again feel they have a point here. While I haven't driven the 5LS, I can logically see this as a possibility. You've got the stiff F-Sport suspension combined with low profile run flat tires. That to me logically sounds like a recipe for a bad ride and possibly some body integrity issues. Another reason why I feel their point may be valid is that I recently had a bad experience with a used 2016 RX350 with about 50K km (about 31K miles on it). This RX (with the 20 inch rims) had a very rough ride on city roads, and I also noticed some body integrity issues cropping on. This was a regular model, it wasn't even an F-Sport, and it had regular all season Michelin tires. It had the 20 inch rims yes, but those still have a 55 profile tire on those rims. So overall I was surprised and disappointed with my experience.

Going back to the 5LS, I continue to be very against the decision to put run flats standard on the 5LS (and LC). Also run flats are standard on the UX in North America, and available in some other world markets. Outside of North America at least thankfully regular tires are available as well. Some reviews have already criticized the UX for having a harsh ride, and to be honest Motortrend is not the first outlet I've seen criticize the 5LS ride. I mean I have to keep asking...what in God's name was Lexus thinking making run flats standard on several models now? The majority of world markets do not have great roads. Countries with glass smooth roads like Japan are actually a large minority among world markets. Also in some markets like the US and Canada, roads are arguably getting worse, not better. So again, I have to ask what was Lexus thinking here? Is Akio Toyoda so desperate to ape some of the German competition who stock many of their models with standard run flats? How many existing Lexus customers worldwide were actually asking for run flat tires? I feel like this is an answer to a question most Lexus owners and buyers never asked.

Mk4UmHa

Founding Member
Reactions
The best thing about tires is you can put the ones you want on the wheels after you wear the stock ones out.