5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
How is it that Lexus can make regular colours like black and white look so unique?:heart_eyes:

Reactions: Dan

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
I like the LS 500h (possibly European-spec) taillights more. The LS 500's has one-too many L's that is not in sync with the L's on the outside.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-03-14-lexus-ls-car-driver.jpg

A short preview of the new flagship sedan driving experience.
View the original article post

DOC4Lex

Fan
Reactions
I like the LS 500h (possibly European-spec) taillights more. The LS 500's has one-too many L's that is not in sync with the L's on the outside.
i was just thinking the same thing too honeslty the LS500h is more beautiful to me than the LS500, i know its bit weird but i see the same thing in the LC500 and LC500h.

Sublime:

Attachments

• Salon-Prive-2016-6.jpg
    Salon-Prive-2016-6.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 16

mordecai

Follower
Reactions

Can you show a photo to show the difference? I didn't notice a different set of tailights

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Can you show a photo to show the difference? I didn't notice a different set of tailights

The most inner L-shapes on the left and right taillight seem to have been replaced by four, individual LEDs that are probably rear foglights, which are not required in the US. I am so glad that the LS will have rear foglights (and probably reversing lights) on both sides.

See the attached image. The US-spec LS 500 is on the left, and the Euro-spec LS 500h is on the right (both photos).

Attachments

• Lexus LS.png
    Lexus LS.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 45

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
The most inner L-shapes on the left and right taillight seem to have been replaced by four, individual LEDs that are probably rear foglights, which are not required in the US. I am so glad that the LS will have rear foglights (and probably reversing lights) on both sides.

See the attached image. The US-spec LS 500 is on the left, and the Euro-spec LS 500h is on the right (both photos).

These are rear fog lights. The reversing lights are in the lower section and they're quite obviously LEDs.

You know what's more interesting? The rear signal lights.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Is that not a basic requirement on most luxury vehicles nowadays? I would expect that to be a standard on all LS models.

Yeah, it is on most of its competitors, but no mention of it on the LS. The ambient lighting on the ES is not nearly as good as the S-Class as it is only in certain parts of the interior and in only one colour.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Yeah, it is on most of its competitors, but no mention of it on the LS. The ambient lighting on the ES is not nearly as good as the S-Class as it is only in certain parts of the interior and in only one colour.

I would assume it's not mentioned because it's not a selling point. They never mention interior lights so why would they suddenly mention adjustable ambient lighting?

Also, the luxury market doesn't show off simple things or expected luxuries. For example, they stopped mentioning air conditioning a long time ago as that would be expected. Same goes for automatic windows, automatic side mirrors, etc...

The day Lexus starts showing off features like Ford, KIA, etc.. is the day I never return to this site.

Let the car speak for itself. You can show a vehicle with never before seen technology but not something like ambient lighting. MB already killed that one years ago with the launch of the S class. BMW did it with the HUD etc...

If you're going to show it off, you better be the first to have done it or the first to market with a huge upgrade to that feature like the huge infotainment system.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I would assume it's not mentioned because it's not a selling point. They never mention interior lights so why would they suddenly mention adjustable ambient lighting?

Also, the luxury market doesn't show off simple things or expected luxuries. For example, they stopped mentioning air conditioning a long time ago as that would be expected. Same goes for automatic windows, automatic side mirrors, etc...

The day Lexus starts showing off features like Ford, KIA, etc.. is the day I never return to this site.

Let the car speak for itself. You can show a vehicle with never before seen technology but not something like ambient lighting. MB already killed that one years ago with the launch of the S class. BMW did it with the HUD etc...

If you're going to show it off, you better be the first to have done it or the first to market with a huge upgrade to that feature like the huge infotainment system.
Well, I didn’t really expect them to announce it or anything, but I haven’t seen any pictures or videos of it anywhere, that’s why I was asking.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Well, I didn’t really expect them to announce it or anything, but I haven’t seen any pictures or videos of it anywhere, that’s why I was asking.

I'm sure we'll get to see all the exciting features when the car is closer to production. I don't believe there are any interior videos at the moment as that has probably not yet been finalized.

Reactions: Dan

Madi

Fan
Reactions

From Krew previous posts :D

" Lighting and attention to detail express a unique aesthetic in the LS. A new approach to creating trim elements again turned to Japanese culture, combining traditional Japanese aesthetic with advanced manufacturing techniques. This is reflected in signature touches, such as beautiful interior ambient lighting inspired by Japanese lanterns and armrests that appear to float next to the door panel."

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
From Krew previous posts :D

" Lighting and attention to detail express a unique aesthetic in the LS. A new approach to creating trim elements again turned to Japanese culture, combining traditional Japanese aesthetic with advanced manufacturing techniques. This is reflected in signature touches, such as beautiful interior ambient lighting inspired by Japanese lanterns and armrests that appear to float next to the door panel."
Oh, I completely missed that! Thank you!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Hopefully there's a delete option for it. I don't care how much Mercedes tarted it up, it was originally a Scion feature and not upscale or luxurious in any way.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Hopefully there's a delete option for it. I don't care how much Mercedes tarted it up, it was originally a Scion feature and not upscale or luxurious in any way.
To each his own opinion, but I personally feel when driving at night, ambient lighting looks quite nice, and even has a psychological impact. Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and there were glow in the dark stickers on the wall lol.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions

If you don't like ambient light - disable it. It's a choice.

It's not there as a gimmick, it's to illuminate areas of the car that are usually dark at night as well as probably make the glass and origami silk door trim look even better at night.