5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

James

Founding Member
Reactions
So Lexus what's next??? New IS? GS? RXL? What do we have to look forward too?! I know we have the LS500h in Geneva but let's move past LS for just a sec where does Lexus go next? 2017 will be a great year!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hate to say it, but this is what I see. It's a bigger.......

2017-buick-lacrosse-24_1600x0w.jpg

2017-Buick-Lacrosse-interior.jpg

And the Buick has a MUCH nicer interior! It doesn't try too hard to be different, or stylish, just for the sake of doing it. Understated elegance.

Agreed. I'm interested in a new LaCrosse myself.....though the awkward E-shifter and non-defeatable engine stop/start system may be deal-breakers for me.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
So Lexus what's next??? New IS? GS? RXL? What do we have to look forward too?! I know we have the LS500h in Geneva but let's move past LS for just a sec where does Lexus go next? 2017 will be a great year!
I'm most looking forward to the next GS because it will grow in size and will be more luxurious because the new LS has also gotten bigger and better

DFGeneer

Fan
Reactions
No question, the LF-FC is a stunning design, looking way better than the production version, in my opinion.
Even more, it has very unique side profile, so no references to Panamera or Model would apply, while offering way more headroom than the production model.
Lexus should really do the concept design first and then design the production vehicle as was the case with the LC.
Too bad it will take about 5 years in between.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Meanwhile, out in the world of the vast majority of customers, they never saw the LF-FC (or if they did, they don't remember it). They just see that Lexus has again gone daring with the styling of the LS while the Germans continue to put the "box" in "3-box sedan".

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Meanwhile, out in the world of the vast majority of customers, they never saw the LF-FC (or if they did, they don't remember it). They just see that Lexus has again gone daring with the styling of the LS while the Germans continue to put the "box" in "3-box sedan".

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with 3-box (or two-box) styling. It gave us two things that are often sorely missing today.....First, good rear seat headroom and entry/exit ease, and, Second, good visibility out the rear windows. Both tend to be rare on today's sedans (and even on a number of SUVs).

mikeavelli

Reactions
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with 3-box (or two-box) styling. It gave us two things that are often sorely missing today.....First, good rear seat headroom and entry/exit ease, and, Second, good visibility out the rear windows. Both tend to be rare on today's sedans (and even on a number of SUVs).

Yeah there is no right way...it works for Porsche, Tesla and it will for the new LS. It works for the Germans and the old LS.

LS F is what I'm salivating about :)

Levi

Expert
Reactions

I am mostly looking forward to LX and GX (Land Cruiser).

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
So...how likely is it that Lexus will show off a 4-seat variant of the LS500 at Geneva with a proper big central unit with tables etc?

Is it just me who feels the middle seat being folded down to provide this seems a little cheap? I know the current LS you can spec with either this 5-seat variant and then the 4-seat variant with the impressive big centre console unit...but that also came with the reclining seats and longwheelbase which the LS already is.

This leads me to think there will no longer be a 4-seat variant of the car which is a shame, I know this may seems strange and splitting hairs but I feel opening the door to a car with the big chunky centre console in the rear with fold out tables etc. is far more impressive than the seat folded down...even worse the head rest is attached so it hangs down and just looks silly/cheap.

Here's hoping...

16252004_892330790870055_746552533353807497_o.jpg

16252283_892330794203388_4360196256693556546_o.jpg

16300179_892330910870043_7456848708909525238_o.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
.even worse the head rest is attached so it hangs down and just looks silly/cheap.

Well, same "cheap" headrest hanging down from segment leader, LWB S Class W222.

IMAG1256.jpg

And the LWB 7 Series G01 with 2 individual reclining seats and 3rd middle seat (not optional 2 seat with center console running through) does not look "expensive" without hanging middle headrest.

bmw_7-series_10.jpg

You think the "expensive" Ghost (re-badged BMW) does a good job? Those are not even seats, it is a bench.

2011-rolls-royce-ghost-rear-seat.jpg

I think the most important thing is that Lexus proposes optional 4 seats, like they did with the previous one. Nothing much can be done to 3 rear seats.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Can someone explain what is new and updated on the blind spot monitor please??

Sounds like the major addition is that of cross-traffic alert while moving forward as well as when backing up.......for example, so that you don't get T-Boned while driving through an intersection. As the article says, a new radar in front of the car scans out to the sides in the same manner what the one in the rear does while backing up.

Last edited:

Spunky D

Founding Member
Reactions
Sounds like the major addition is that of cross-traffic alert while moving forward as well as when backing up.......for example, so that you don't get T-Boned while driving through an intersection. As the article says, a new radar in front of the car scans out to the sides in the same manner what the one in the rear does while backing up.

Sorry to be pedantic,but rear and front cross traffic alerts are quite different from the blind spot monitor which is an aid whilst on the road ,not reversing out of car spaces.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sorry to be pedantic,but rear and front cross traffic alerts are quite different from the blind spot monitor which is an aid whilst on the road ,not reversing out of car spaces.

The ones I've seen, especially on the ES350, work whenever they detect something in the screened-area, whether the car is moving forward or backward. (a close friend of mine has an ES, and I ride in it regularly)

Reactions: Dan