5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

RAL

Reactions
Well, it has been almost 24 hours. I should have known better than to verbalize my initial reaction ... There is no way this car is even remotely comparable to a Buick LaCrosse ... which was my initial sinking-feeling response to the reveal. I was left hoping the presence and grandeur of this car would come across in real life. But after absorbing all the pictures and videos available, I'm happy to say I've changed my mind. Now I feel like I can sincerely say ... Well done Lexus!

Reactions
In the live reveal, Bracken reviewed the wheel options... but that was clipped from the version that was put online. I wonder why?

From AutoSpies.com
JX3C2046.jpg

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
My biggest problems are three:
1. They threw away the V8, for no good reason, where a twin-turbo V6 has to fight against German twin-turbo V8's. Why? How?
2. Apparently, the concept design was thrown right in the garbage, and that is EXACTLY what I wanted the car to look like. That would have crushed the market, and they could have printed money, if it looked like that. What happened to the concept's design?
3. The infotainment design and functionality looks even more outdated than ever. That alone will probably lose Lexus deals if the buyer has ever set foot inside a new Mercedes sedan. Lexus threw in the towel here, and didn't even try to compete.

If Lexus hit a home run here, they could have sold 1500-2000 units a month for the first couple of years! The market wants a bold, sexy design, like the concept provided, and Lexus misread the market, badly. This is a shadow of what the concept's design would have brought back in sales. It looks good if the light hits it just right, and it looks like a stretched GS from most angles.

If you told me this was a tweener vehicle, like the 6-series Gran Coupe or the Cadillac CT6, I'd look at it much more positively, because Lexus does need a vehicle in that segment. Or if you said this was replacing the SWB LS.

This does not live up to the promise made by the well-received concept. They sold me a bill of goods. Not cool. I had dreams of the next LS and this was not it. THIS WAS NOT IT! (Russell Crowe in 'Gladiator')
BD

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
2. Apparently, the concept design was thrown right in the garbage, and that is EXACTLY what I wanted the car to look like. That would have crushed the market, and they could have printed money, if it looked like that. What happened to the concept's design?

BD
Jheez... how many times on this forum have we said that the 5LS was designed way before the LF-FC was designed?

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
Jheez... how many times on this forum have we said that the 5LS was designed way before the LF-FC was designed?
The problem is, they can make a good design like on the LF-FC, and they choose not to... They preferred a stretched ES as Flagship..
What frustrating about lexus is that they are always were capable of doing more but for some reason they dont..

Reactions: RAL

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
1. They threw away the V8, for no good reason, where a twin-turbo V6 has to fight against German twin-turbo V8's. Why? How?

What would be the reason to keep a V8 if you get the performance you need out of the TT V6 other than being able to say you have a V8? I don't think this should really effect a large number of potential customers as it provides the power, should get greater fuel efficiency and have good NVH. A 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds should be more than enough for a large luxury sedan like this.

This doesn't mean that I don't think a potential LS-F shouldn't have a TT V8 but a car like that is all about the performance/numbers it puts out regardless of how little that power gets used on a daily basis.

Reactions
3. The infotainment design and functionality looks even more outdated than ever. That alone will probably lose Lexus deals if the buyer has ever set foot inside a new Mercedes sedan. Lexus threw in the towel here, and didn't even try to compete.

If Lexus hit a home run here, they could have sold 1500-2000 units a month for the first couple of years! The market wants a bold, sexy design, like the concept provided, and Lexus misread the market, badly. This is a shadow of what the concept's design would have brought back in sales. It looks good if the light hits it just right, and it looks like a stretched GS from most angles.

If you told me this was a tweener vehicle, like the 6-series Gran Coupe or the Cadillac CT6, I'd look at it much more positively, because Lexus does need a vehicle in that segment. Or if you said this was replacing the SWB LS.

This does not live up to the promise made by the well-received concept. They sold me a bill of goods. Not cool. I had dreams of the next LS and this was not it. THIS WAS NOT IT! (Russell Crowe in 'Gladiator')
BD

Please do us all a favor... wait until autumn, go to your next dealer and look at the new LS in Person! It is way too early to bash the car.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Dissapointed seeing a CD/DVD player! Is anyone using this now days. Better streaming and Apple car play / Google play where are you ?!?
Okay I did some research on competitors to the LS.

The Audi A8 3.0 (V6) goes 0-60 in 5.5 sec.
The Audi A8 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.4 sec.
The Audi S8 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.7 sec.
The Audi RS7 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.6 sec.
The BMW 740 3.0 (V6) goes 0-60 in 5.4 sec.
The BMW 750 4.4 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.3 sec.
The BMW 760M (V12) goes 0-60 in 3.6 sec.
The MB S550 4.7 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.8 sec.
The MB S600 6.0 (V12) goes 0-60 in 4.5 sec.
The MB S63 5.5 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.9 sec.
The MB S65 6.0 (V12) goes 0-60 in 4.2 sec.

The new LS is projected to get about 4.5 secs with a turbo V6. Which means it is only .1 or .2 slower than the BMW 550, MB 600, and Audi A8 4.0 which are all V8's. Lexus is very close with a V6 and hopefully even gets better gas millage than those German cars. Or even Lexus now gets the we are better for the environment crap cause we have a V6 instead of a V8. Now does the Lexus need a V8? Absolutely it does. A twin turbo V8 can hopefully get them to the BMW 760M and Audi RS7 range of 3.6 secs. If Lexus can do that I think the LS will be even more successful than it already is. The inside of this LS is great and just wait for the different colors to come out. Also, I think the biggest mistake by Lexus for this was the rim choice. I agree those aren't that great of a choice but wait I am sure they will come out with one that will blow your pants off that also will make the car much better. I am excited for this LS and very excited to see it in person here shortly this weekend. The LS and LC are great cars and I think 2017 will be a great year for Lexus. As a lot of people have said wait to see it live and in person before you truly bash it.

weight plus transmission is the reason for such good performance.

Also, Lexus UK posted about 0-62 mph for AWD version with 4.5s as a spec too... AWD should slower and 0-62 is also usually 0.1-0.2s slower.

helping the LS post a projected nought to 62mph acceleration time of 4.5 seconds (with all-wheel drive).

Lexus engineers used lightweight materials, including ultra-high-tensile steel and aluminium, to carve more than 90kg from the weight of the current LS’s platform and body.

Active anti-roll bars and Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) with independent front and rear steering further enhance the LS’s handling. VDIM can also aid stability when driving on split-friction surfaces, such as icy patches on dry Tarmac.

Active anti-roll bars in UK and JP as well as independent rear steering.

Reactions: RAL

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
1, 2 and 4 are hideous. 3 is directly from the LC. 5 has the most promise...

BUT DAMN. COME ON, LEXUS! You've been designing decent rims for a while, but this group is a huge let down!
Agreed that 3 and 5 would be my choices for an LS. I wouldn't go as far as calling 1 and 2 hideous, but 4 is definitely the worst of the lot, and that's the one they chose for the 5LS unveiling!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I take my words back. It looks stunning.

Lexus_200b_gallery_desktop_2000x1000_LEX_LSG_MY1.jpg

Yeah... this pic is drop dead gorgeous. I'm sold. It's sophisticated, elegant, futuristic and upscale looking. This car is really very different looking from any other Lexus sedan before it. There is a lot more detailing, and I feel like there are more curves. The design is more complex than any other Lexus, but it works beautifully.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
Looking another way, the S-Class is even not the one to beat, given how the S Class is not even exclusive: exterior and interior is basically the same as C Class and E Class, same sausage, different length.
Yeah... this pic is drop dead gorgeous. I'm sold. It's sophisticated, elegant, futuristic and upscale looking. This car is really very different looking from any other Lexus sedan before it. There is a lot more detailing, and I feel like there are more curves. The design is more complex than any other Lexus, but it works beautifully.

There is no doubt that S-Class exterior is ugly as hell, 7-Series is better looking but the design is way too old. Interior wise S-Class is the best but its classic, so I see Lexus interior is more modern and more beautiful, "The 2 knobs on the top for example is like an Asian style bamboo scroll hold a waterfall curtain, followed by paper folding lanterns." Lexus designer said they went full Japanese style on this interior and that's why I love it.

In conclusion the LS now is the best looking car in this segment inside and out .

Tech. wise its too early to judge, but I'm glad to see some world's firsts in the reveal of this 5LS.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Land Cruiser V8 Diesel is 1VD-FTV and produces 650 Nm.

Argh! You are right. I was too fast on the configurator. The 1UR-FE is the 4.6 petrol, while the 1VD-FTV is the diesel. So the new LS has -almost- as much torque as the diesel Land Cruiser!

You're right guys, my bad. I had forgotten about that engine variant, as it is not that common. The single turbo version of the V8 diesel still makes less torque than this LS engine. Only the twin turbo V8 diesel makes more torque than this engine.

So in reality, the LS500 engine still makes the most torque of any gasoline engine Toyota has ever offered.