5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
Since owning the RC F and enjoying the 5L V8, to be honest, I'm more than fine with the new V6TT in the LS while keeping the V8 to the sportier more visceral LC. I bet the new V6TT is smoother, quieter, and with more low end torque (something the V8 is missing until about 3600 rpm), which is more appropriate in a serene premium luxury sedan. I bet if the 5L V8 was the engine, we'd be complaining about its age, etc.

A quick note to point out regarding nomenclature. We now see that Lexus may or may not incorporate "t" or "tt"in their car names. This opens the door to future speculation on new car name registrations that do not have any "t" in it. I'm fine with that since the LS 500's name is far better suited in terms of lineage and prestige over an "LS 350tt"! :)

As for future V8s in the LS... I'm definitely still wanting one in it but I like the idea of a V8TT exclusive to the LS F. :thumbsup:
Yea i was thinking about this, reminding me that while back, new trade marks were registered for the RX, GS and NX, 300 if i am not mistaken.
Could this mean that they're ditching the "t" like the others ?
Would this mean that new engine choices would be offered for the RX, GS and NX ?

Last edited:
Reactions
Dissapointed seeing a CD/DVD player! Is anyone using this now days. Better streaming and Apple car play / Google play where are you ?!?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-01-09-lexus-ls-launch-video.jpg

Also: the full press conference from Detroit.
View the original article post

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Okay I did some research on competitors to the LS.

The Audi A8 3.0 (V6) goes 0-60 in 5.5 sec.
The Audi A8 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.4 sec.
The Audi S8 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.7 sec.
The Audi RS7 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.6 sec.
The BMW 740 3.0 (V6) goes 0-60 in 5.4 sec.
The BMW 750 4.4 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.3 sec.
The BMW 760M (V12) goes 0-60 in 3.6 sec.
The MB S550 4.7 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.8 sec.
The MB S600 6.0 (V12) goes 0-60 in 4.5 sec.
The MB S63 5.5 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.9 sec.
The MB S65 6.0 (V12) goes 0-60 in 4.2 sec.

The new LS is projected to get about 4.5 secs with a turbo V6. Which means it is only .1 or .2 slower than the BMW 550, MB 600, and Audi A8 4.0 which are all V8's. Lexus is very close with a V6 and hopefully even gets better gas millage than those German cars. Or even Lexus now gets the we are better for the environment crap cause we have a V6 instead of a V8. Now does the Lexus need a V8? Absolutely it does. A twin turbo V8 can hopefully get them to the BMW 760M and Audi RS7 range of 3.6 secs. If Lexus can do that I think the LS will be even more successful than it already is. The inside of this LS is great and just wait for the different colors to come out. Also, I think the biggest mistake by Lexus for this was the rim choice. I agree those aren't that great of a choice but wait I am sure they will come out with one that will blow your pants off that also will make the car much better. I am excited for this LS and very excited to see it in person here shortly this weekend. The LS and LC are great cars and I think 2017 will be a great year for Lexus. As a lot of people have said wait to see it live and in person before you truly bash it.

Izzam@RegencyAuto

Founding Member
Reactions
For the record I'm 37 and a life Lexus fan. This LS is the first I'm excited about. The recent RX was the first RX I loved as well. I've always had a close love with the IS and GS line.

Although the LS is closely resembling the Genesis and Q70 (which I agree) however it is what Lexus needs. The new 7 is in trouble because they focused on tech and not design. The 4 LS interior is stunning like a Maybach MB, RR or Bentley! For a fraction of the price like what they did in the 90s. That is exactly what the Lexus LS stands for. Let the Genesis be the 90 Lexus to the S class, now the LS is the for today.

I can't see Lexus making this a SWB, it just doesn't make sense. I'm just sad to see the LS 600hL go. What a marvelous automotive art.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Okay I did some research on competitors to the LS.

The Audi A8 3.0 (V6) goes 0-60 in 5.5 sec.
The Audi A8 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.4 sec.
The Audi S8 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.7 sec.
The Audi RS7 4.0 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.6 sec.
The BMW 740 3.0 (V6) goes 0-60 in 5.4 sec.
The BMW 750 4.4 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.3 sec.
The BMW 760M (V12) goes 0-60 in 3.6 sec.
The MB S550 4.7 (V8) goes 0-60 in 4.8 sec.
The MB S600 6.0 (V12) goes 0-60 in 4.5 sec.
The MB S63 5.5 (V8) goes 0-60 in 3.9 sec.
The MB S65 6.0 (V12) goes 0-60 in 4.2 sec.

The new LS is projected to get about 4.5 secs with a turbo V6. Which means it is only .1 or .2 slower than the BMW 550, MB 600, and Audi A8 4.0 which are all V8's. Lexus is very close with a V6 and hopefully even gets better gas millage than those German cars. Or even Lexus now gets the we are better for the environment crap cause we have a V6 instead of a V8. Now does the Lexus need a V8? Absolutely it does. A twin turbo V8 can hopefully get them to the BMW 760M and Audi RS7 range of 3.6 secs. If Lexus can do that I think the LS will be even more successful than it already is. The inside of this LS is great and just wait for the different colors to come out. Also, I think the biggest mistake by Lexus for this was the rim choice. I agree those aren't that great of a choice but wait I am sure they will come out with one that will blow your pants off that also will make the car much better. I am excited for this LS and very excited to see it in person here shortly this weekend. The LS and LC are great cars and I think 2017 will be a great year for Lexus. As a lot of people have said wait to see it live and in person before you truly bash it.

There's no BMW V6. ;)

James

Founding Member
Reactions
There's no BMW V6. ;)
Isn't the 740i a 3.0L V6?

740i: Advanced innovations like Valvetronic technology help this unique 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder engine enhance performance and efficiency. Proof of its power is in the numbers: 320 hp, a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds, redlining at an amazing 6500 rpm, and peak torque of 332 lb-ft that kicks in at 1380 rpm and continues to push you back in your seat all the way to 5000 rpm.

I was taking it from there site lol

Madi

Fan
Reactions

740i: Advanced innovations like Valvetronic technology help this unique 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder engine enhance performance and efficiency. Proof of its power is in the numbers: 320 hp, a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds, redlining at an amazing 6500 rpm, and peak torque of 332 lb-ft that kicks in at 1380 rpm and continues to push you back in your seat all the way to 5000 rpm.

He's meaning it's I6 not V6

RichieRich

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm just wondering if Lexus showcased that V6TT engine in the 2018 LS500 because it's their Newest Engine. We don't know for sure they won't put out an Optional V8 in this Vehicle. They made some changes (in power) to the original LC500 after they showcased it. Maybe they wanted to get some feedback first. It's not like they can't drop The LC500 V8 5.0 in that body. Hmmm

You have to admit though, power, torque and 0 to 60 numbers are Very Very Impressive on that V6TT engine. Maybe they have a V8TT in the making to really rival the Germans. IJS, JMTwoCents :)

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I will very likely prefer the LS over the Germans, Italians, British, American and Korean, but I am still disappointed by the exterior, it is sooooo different from the LF-FC. Interior is great, there are many overall great details, but because of its no so good looking exterior, unfortunately there is no good looking sedan in this class.

Nice engine. I guess that is what the new Land Cruiser will get (different tune, though V6 diesel would be better). I think that is also the engine of the new Supra.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
Well the Camry continues with the same 3.5 but new 4 cylinder.

How will this work for the IS/GS I wonder? Will they get 415hp too or detuned to 400 or less? The LS then needs a V-8 option to seperate itself. As of now, the GS has a V-8 but not the LS!

As LEXUS mentioned this engine is specifically designed for the new LS, so I think this new TT V6 will be as the V8 4.6L was, exclusive for the LS.

Last edited:

Spunky D

Founding Member
Reactions
That's true.

As to the new LS, I like the low hood line and the front in general, but it goes downhill for me as you move back. The rear half of the car to me is an Infiniti Q70 (greenhouse/D-pillar) and Kia Optima (long side marker taillights) mashup that doesn't work particularly well.
Disagree here! I think the rear is sensational.The front is the least appealing aspect.Guess I have never been a spindle grill fan.

mikeavelli

Reactions

I'm driving a 2017 7 series now with the 320hp I-6...I was expecting to be a bit let down but in all honestly the engine is actually suited well for the car most of the time. Very pleasantly surprised! I'm sure with 95hp more with a new 10 speed and around the same weight the LS will be fantastic.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
No, it's an entirely new engine. Engine code is V35A-FTS
So does this mean that even the Toyota/Lexus engine code naming conventions are changing post-TNGA and GA-L? 99% of the time the left-of-the-dash prefix has been a single-digit number and the two actual engine family letters. Going forward the left-of-the-dash prefix will be a letter, the engine displacement in deciliters and then another letter?

I suppose there's logic in incorporating the engine displacement in the actual engine code.

Last edited: