5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Regarding interior simplicity, I don't think Lexus has ever gone overboard in terms of interior complexity in previous LS generations, so not sure how much this applies to the LS here.

The 3LS was verging on it, with the stacks of buttons on either side of the screen (which became, properly, elements *on* the screen in the 4LS).

Reactions: RAL

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A Lexus UK blog post ( http://blog.lexus.co.uk/dynamics-of-the-all-new-lexus-ls/ ) says that "...the new LS has a wide and low design and is only offered in long wheelbase form." Thus, it's safe to say that the notion of a SWB Lexus LS is now dead, and that Lexus intends to follow the future Cadillac playbook in offering only a single wheelbase per car line, versus the Germans' SWB/LWB strategies.

mikeavelli

Reactions
A Lexus UK blog post ( http://blog.lexus.co.uk/dynamics-of-the-all-new-lexus-ls/ ) says that "...the new LS has a wide and low design and is only offered in long wheelbase form." Thus, it's safe to say that the notion of a SWB Lexus LS is now dead, and that Lexus intends to follow the future Cadillac playbook in offering only a single wheelbase per car line, versus the Germans' SWB/LWB strategies.

Thanks. In the USA, the 7 and S are now LWB only. The A8 is LWB only and the S8 is SWB. The Panamera is SWB and LWB. Quattroporte as well. The Genesis as well.

GS will have to grow substantially next generation.

D

DDas

I agree with what people are saying about we expected more. When you are forced to wait 11 years for a new design, you expect something to shock you. Personally, I was hoping for an LC sedan. This is not that. I do find it gorgeous, but yes, it's very underwhelming. The rear design is a poor replica of the ES and Avalon. The headlights...oh, man the headlights...I just do not understand the separate DRL Lexus has been doing. The LS is suppose to be elegant and the headlight ruins that. The shape also was too Nissan/Buick to me. I'm a fan, but I just wish it was just one step higher than what we received. It's like this should have come out in 2012 as a 2013 model. It worries me that we may now have this model for another 11 years. Did anyone see the (potential) Altima concept? It's already looking as good as the new LS. In conclusion: gorgeous car, but poorly executed.

Reactions
Where's the new LS that's suppose to debut, it's suppose to look like the LF-LC? This is the LS that was suppose to be shown at the 2012 NAIAS.

What is so bold about this LS? Lexus has lost it's way since the very first model to feature the F-Mesh Grille, the 3rd Gen IS F Sport, now they seem too caught up in putting spindle grilles on everything, and it is starting to look boring. (And the refreshed versions of the F-Sport IS and GS look awful, btw.) This design is not polarizing in the least. It looks good, it doesn't hurt my eyes, but it certainly doesn't keep my eyes on it. There's nothing radical about it, it looks nothing like the LF-FC, the profile on the LF-FC is incredible, the interior is not what I was expecting either. This thing is a disappointment.

Hopefully the Toyota Supra is unveiled and it isn't ugly.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
As with any new Lexus vehicle, pictures don't accurately capture exterior styling, so despite personally being a bit underwhelmed exterior-wise, I wouldn't judge it fully until seeing it in the metal on the roads.

Looking at the press conference again from Jeff Bracken, it is indicated that the V6 engine is "all new". So that sounds like it is not a GR design, but certainly one of the new TNGA modular engines. Also to further expand on the electric wastegates of this new engine, after further thought, this is actually a very exciting little tidbit hidden in the press release. Toyota has for years done a lot of research on electric turbos, with nothing to ever show for it. Now though, with electric wastegates, this new engine has at the very least, partial electric assistance for the turbo system. This is exciting because of the potential for having very little or no turbo lag at all, as well as improved reliability.

The biggest thing that I hoped for from the 5LS, which it seems so far will not be offered, was a possible "super luxury" package, above anything existing, to further elevate the LS. Also it looks doubtful that the 5LS has anything equivalent to the Magic Body Control on the S Class, but we'll see.

Last edited:

RAL

Reactions
Yup. If you've seen HGTV lately, you've noticed their designers all took an abrupt turn around 2014. Now, large clean surfaces with nothing breaking them up are in, as are grey colors and aluminum trim. To me, the 5LS fits all this to a "T". It's not an accident they're showing it in Atomic Silver (err, Manganese, as per Mike).
spot on ...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Looking at the press conference again from Jeff Bracken, it is indicated that the V6 engine is "all new". So that sounds like it is not a GR design, but certainly one of the new TNGA modular engines
I dunno. When the latest Toyota Tacoma was launched, descriptions of an "all-new" V6 were bandied about in the news releases, but it was ultimately just the dual-cycle FKS evolution of the 2GR-FSE. Until Lexus breaks its silence on the engine code, we can't really be sure whether this is an all-new V6 family or just a further GR evolution.

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I dunno. When the latest Toyota Tacoma was launched, descriptions of an "all-new" V6 were bandied about in the news releases, but it was ultimately just the dual-cycle FKS evolution of the 2GR-FSE. Until Lexus breaks its silence on the engine code, we can't really be sure whether this is an all-new V6 family or just a further GR evolution.

it will be another GR for sure, which does not mean it is not all new :)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I was kind of dissapointed with exterior, which is good but not as awesome as concept... but we already knew from our friend car designer that concept was designed long after new LS was done.

After watching all the pics and seeing showfloor pics, it started to grow on me... interior is really good, details are crazy... did you guys notice ML speaker grille design? Or that next to the huge screen there is some kind of screen as well with some backlighting designes or something?

I am on vacation so cant post too many pics, but all the pics from the show, real life, are really nice.

Engine sounds awesome, UK press release says 0-62mph in 4.5s for AWD model.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
This design definitely has to grow on me, not really feeling that Q70/Altima rear. The new Camry looks very nice though!

DOC4Lex

Fan
Reactions
So No more V8 for the LS, thats is sad news indeed , but overall its a dope looking Limo love the front predator grill interior is outstanding.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

A fair point, however Toyota's TNGA press release a few weeks back, in the technical documents showed a whole new family of TNGA engines coming in the future. Also one reason why I think it's not a GR engine, is if you look at the pics on Toyota's Global/Japan press release. The pics show the engine being very wide, and low. The V angle definitely looks different than a GR engine. Furthermore, in comparison to the current FKS GR engine, this Lexus engine has a very large HP increase, and an absolutely massive torque increase. In fact, as of now so far, this is the highest torque engine Toyota has ever offered in any model under any ToMoCo brand. I don't think that twin turbos alone, even if combined with some electric technologies can account for this. I think a new engine design combined with these technologies does account for it. Also Jeff Bracken mentioned the new Lexus engine as being a "long stroke" engine, which is a hallmark of the new TNGA Dynamic Force modular engine concept. I am 99% convinced it truly is an all new TNGA Dynamic Force engine.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A fair point, however Toyota's TNGA press release a few weeks back, in the technical documents showed a whole new family of TNGA engines coming in the future. Also one reason why I think it's not a GR engine, is if you look at the pics on Toyota's Global/Japan press release. The pics show the engine being very wide, and low. The V angle definitely looks different than a GR engine. Furthermore, in comparison to the current FKS GR engine, this Lexus engine has a very large HP increase, and an absolutely massive torque increase. In fact, as of now so far, this is the highest torque engine Toyota has ever offered in any model under any ToMoCo brand. I don't think that twin turbos alone, even if combined with some electric technologies can account for this. I think a new engine design combined with these technologies does account for it. Also Jeff Bracken mentioned the new Lexus engine as being a "long stroke" engine, which is a hallmark of the new TNGA Dynamic Force modular engine concept. I am 99% convinced it truly is an all new TNGA Dynamic Force engine.
Excellent observations.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well the Camry continues with the same 3.5 but new 4 cylinder.

How will this work for the IS/GS I wonder? Will they get 415hp too or detuned to 400 or less? The LS then needs a V-8 option to seperate itself. As of now, the GS has a V-8 but not the LS!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Well the Camry continues with the same 3.5 but new 4 cylinder.

How will this work for the IS/GS I wonder? Will they get 415hp too or detuned to 400 or less? The LS then needs a V-8 option to seperate itself. As of now, the GS has a V-8 but not the LS!

Camry gets updated V6 from late 2016 with around 300hp. Lots of changes in that engine, it is excellent engine.

As to the V8, I bet F will get V8 and also pictures released already showed Hybrid model :)

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Well now that's it out how long do we have to wait for road reviews of the car? Cause let's be honest the whole point of a car is to drive it

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Well now that's it out how long do we have to wait for road reviews of the car? Cause let's be honest the whole point of a car is to drive it

both LS and new Camry will likely feel completely different once you sit down... due to new platform, even sitting in will be completely different experience due to different positions of the seats.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Having been shown the LS500h shortly before hearing abandonment of V8 rumours last year, I hadn't really heard a lick about the petrol LS500 saloon and what "500" stood for there. All I heard at most, was that there would be a TTV6. I did not know whether it would wear the LS350 badge or not, so now I have learned otherwise to my disappointment. Other than styling, the hybrid, and Tesla's Model S being an influence, I really did not learn much about the car.

Back then I naturally dismissed information via the Lexus UK representative and dealer that a V8 would truly not be offered. I had chalked that up to maybe just the UK and some Eurasian markets, the same way the Land Cruiser V8 is gone from the UK and that of BMW's 750i V8. I can be unfortunately presumptuous like that, only to learn otherwise later. That Lexus guy had a point and so did White Beach and Mag-X.

Interestingly, I also get the impression development couldn't have been underway prior to 2011 for sure and styling was an 18 months or more effort through mid-2014. Toshio Asahi, was chief engineer of the XV60 6ES, which barely ended development in late 2011-early 2012. What is the real story here? He couldn't have been working on this car back in 2010, the very same year that 6ES development reached a pivotal point.

Anyway, I had said that the mesh grille would become standard on the base model and no longer an F-Sport exclusive over a year ago. There's is more to see regarding the new LS, but I will now zeroing in now on F performance products and the future of the GS being in jeopardy, as well as LX redesign.

I do apologise to anyone who felt mislead by me adamantly claiming that LS500 stood for the 2UR-GSE V8 and not V35A-FTS TTV6. Naturally I had expected them to not use the same nomenclature (XX500) for entirely different engines, hoping this TTV6 was really LS350.

So what is GS300, RX300, and NX300 then? Twin-turbo I4?

It is a new engine, part of TNGA family. It's not a GR anymore.

it will be another GR for sure, which does not mean it is not all new :)

No, it's an entirely new engine. Engine code is V35A-FTS

Last edited: