5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The S Class is a force to be reckoned with in this class, and probably always will be. However, it wasn't so long ago that the S Class and LS were always neck and neck, trading the first and second spots in numerous comparison tests throughout the years. The 7 Series was always the odd dog out, offering much more to the enthusiast driver in terms of sport and performance than the other two... but it had it's niche in the market.

Lexus neglected the LS for a decade and in that time, BMW has changed course to a much more "something for everyone" formula that has sacrificed their "ultimate driving machine" heritage for something softer. There is almost no better embodiment of this change in philosophy than the 7 Series, and I think BMW has paid dearly for it. The 7 Series is not nearly as luxurious or plush as the S Class or something like this LS, nor is it as sporting as it used to be... so they ride the middle ground, and I think that's turned out to be no man's land. Lavish luxury isn't really BMW's turf, and I think they've struggled to find their identity in this segment.

At the same time, after two generations of oddities and growing pains, Mercedes really delivered with the W222: stately, beautiful, upscale, great detailing, beautiful interior, top tech. There's no denying that this car is the default. My problem with the S Class is that I really dislike many of the interior design elements and don't feel like the interior and exterior design mesh well. Exterior, to me, is exactly what I would expect from a top tech Mercedes flagship. The interior... I feel like they tried to fit Maybach design details into the basic S Class as a cost saving/transition measure, and I don't think it worked. The standard 2 spoke steering wheel is hideous and the round AC vents are too traditional for the rest of the car, IMO. The execution and integration - or lack thereof - with the infotainment screen looks cheap to me. It looks like someone just sat a tablet on the dash and built a housing around it. Even with those nitpicks, the car stands out in this class and it should.

I had a hunch that Lexus wasn't directly going to challenge the S Class head on with the 5LS, and I think I was right. Let's be honest - Lexus spent a lot of years trying to build a better S Class at a value, and that was evident in different elements of the interior and exterior design, as well as packaging. I personally think that the 4th gen LS was the first sign of departure from the "Japanese S Class" philosophy - Lexus got confident in L-Finesse and decided to work in a different direction - SWB, LWB, hybrid, F Sport. 4LS was a huge growth period for the LS line. A lot has happened at Lexus since the 4LS debuted, and there's no doubt that many of those events greatly contributed to the delays for the 5LS. The IS F, LFA, F Sport, GS F, LC 500, GA-L, etc. Lexus is a completely different company now than they were a decade ago - they're confident in building cars that drive well and they have a somewhat clearer sense of identity.

With that said, I think the 5LS is the first time in a long time that Lexus can stand the LS on it's own two legs and say, "This is the Lexus LS," and have that mean something specific. It's not a cut rate Japanese S Class. It's not a wannabe sporty car with tacked on side skirts and a mesh grille. It's a completely unique proposition for a flagship. This is absolutely the car that Lexus had to build, and it sucks that it took a while to get here - but here we are. The most obvious proof in Lexus' confidence in their own execution is the engine: an all-new twin turbo V6 mated to the world's first 10-speed automatic. 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. Could Lexus have just easily dropped in the 5.0L V8 and called it a day? Yes, but that engine is short on torque and does not compare well in a straight line against the S Class and 7 Series. 442lb-ft of torque and 10 short gear ratios is going to make this car incredibly fast - probably as much so as the S550 and 750iL. Lexus engineered for performance - not for the spec sheet.

The second element that speaks volumes about the mission and development of this LS is the GA-L platform and suspension engineering. An all-new platform that employs Lexus' best thinking with a lower center of gravity. It's Lexus stiffest platform ever, and also wider, lighter and offers better weight distribution. An entirely new multi-link suspension with double ball joints, active stabilizer bars, Lexus dynamic handling, rear steering, adaptive suspension standard. We've got a good idea for how all of these elements work together because of the LC 500, but this is much more substantive thinking and engineering than we've ever seen before.

Third, look at this car inside and out. Many of us have been split on the exterior, and for good reason. I believe the 5LS is Lexus' most complex exterior design ever. While handsome, L-Finesse I was relatively clean and somewhat sterile; classic proportions and simple detailing, but it worked. L-Finesse II became very busy, and IMO, not in a good way. The spindle took over and Lexus began incorporating bizarre design elements that didn't quite work together. This LS seems to look both backward and forward, paying tribute to LS history while reinventing it for the future. Strong shoulder lines blend into curves at the front and back, the greenhouse cuts a swept back profile that's revolutionary for an LS, wide fenders set a stance that helps to push the wheels out to the corners and the front end makes a bold statement unlike any LS before. This is a very different type of car for Lexus. Inside, Lexus took the LFA's simplicity and ran with it - the inspiration is clear in the LC and now this LS. No more symmetry, no more waterfall dash, no more gated shifter, no more boundless wood trim and chrome. This is a new era that's heavily influenced by JAPANESE craftsmanship. This amount of Japanese identity and influence has never been as evident in a Lexus interior. It's clean, simple and beautiful with incredible detailing. It's not trying to be anything else. It's as much of a new frontier for Lexus and the LS as GA-L or any other element of this car.

While a lot of this probably reads like an advertorial, what I have realized about this car is that it's completely different from any LS before. This is probably more of a "restart" for the LS name than at any point prior. The segment has changed, buyer's tastes have changed and Lexus is now ready to deliver a car that sets the tone for the rest of the brand. This is a car that stands firmly on it's own two feet with it's own identity, without asking to be judged as anything different. Yes, there are parts of it that are unconventional, different and maybe shocking - but I think it has to be, and I think Lexus has delivered. Looking at the LC and now this LS, we are dealing with a completely different brand than at any other point in Lexus' 28-year history. It sounds dramatic, but I believe that we are looking at Lexus as a true Tier 1 brand for the first time. No excuses, no imitations.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
With that said, I think the 5LS is the first time in a long time that Lexus can stand the LS on it's own two legs and say, "This is the Lexus LS," and have that mean something specific. It's not a cut rate Japanese S Class. It's not a wannabe sporty car with tacked on side skirts and a mesh grille. It's a completely unique proposition for a flagship. This is absolutely the car that Lexus had to build, and it sucks that it took a while to get here - but here we are.

Yes! I feel that Lexus was trying to emphasize the essential Japanese-ness of the new LS in the presentation in order to communicate something like your post but it didn't quite come across.

Reactions
I'm happy, huge opportunity here for Vossen :D..... I need to add the new LS to www.vossend3d.com
54692465.jpg

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Or was that them saying the LS has more coming get ready? It seems like Lexus normally does something on purpose when they release stuff and don't screw up timing.
But press pictures are supposed to supplement a press release, and the LS hybrid was not mentioned anywhere in the PR of this world debut. I still think this mix-up was an accident by the PR team, who may have had too many LS photos on their hand to sort properly.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I will ask on Thursday.....my take is maybe it is some eco mode?

I doubt its a mix up with another car, when the LSh debuts it likely will use a bamboo interior or something different.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
I will ask on Thursday.....my take is maybe it is some eco mode?

I doubt its a mix up with another car, when the LSh debuts it likely will use a bamboo interior or something different.
It's clearly a mix-up. Here's the same area in the regular LS (curiously, with a spacer on the right of the rightmost of the 4 buttons, unlike the LS hybrid, which has no such spacer on the right despite the same number of buttons):
80-lexusls5002018_5074_27d8fec518db96c4a4923b6714baca68481b646d.jpg

Thanks in advance for asking about it though.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The attention to detail is something (Japanese cultural quality) can't be equaled by others. So many little details, something I have noticed with Japanese cars, especially Lexus. Even after some years of ownership, there are always new little things to discover.

Among those, already mentioned in the PR, are the flush windows/frames, a first for non-frameless doors. This is usually found only on cars with frameless windows. From the interior, the window frame covers are massive and clean, it looks like designed to easily accommodate armored glass. Actually, the way the side windows are made makes armoring even more discrete.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
I wish the press pics showed the panoramic roof... Lovely photos though...

2017-01-10-2018-lexus-ls-gallery-8.jpg

The way they integrated the air vents is uncanny......absolutely magnificent detailing...

2017-01-10-2018-lexus-ls-gallery-58.jpg
This was the first detail I found from the interior of the new LS. To me, it shows the craftsmanship and attention to details are much better than the current Mercedes S-Class, despite S-class is already quite polished. The way the vents are integrated with the trim is a strength commonly found in Japanese products.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This was the first detail I found from the interior of the new LS. To me, it shows the craftsmanship and attention to details are much better than the current Mercedes S-Class, despite S-class is already quite polished. The way the vents are integrated with the trim is a strength commonly found in Japanese products.

Yes, comparatively the VAG execution is quite crude and outdated, as seen here in the "luxurious" Audi Q7.

2017-Audi-Q7-58jm1-1200x800.jpg

Reactions: RAL

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Why is it called the LS500? What does the 500 resemble?
It's quite obviously an adoption of the NA-equivalent naming system first seen on the GS450h and then widely used by the Germans in the turbo era. It's an easy way to denote the order of the relative positioning of a model in the lineup without having to get nitty gritty about what's really under the hood.

Mk4UmHa

Founding Member
Reactions
Love the car, the way it should have been built. The chassis screams for more power, it's as if Lexus built a Race Car Chassis with Limo interior. I love the Low, Wide, Low CG, 200lbs lighter (yet bigger), updated suspension with active stabilizers on it. I bet it will handle well with aftermarket wheels that fill the entire wheel well in width.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Waiting for more specs, especially engine and for the LS500h.

In the specs, they mention both RWD and AWD, so a guess AWD will be optional. Interesting to know is if the AWD version will also have AWS? If yes, that is the configuration to get.

And what about the LS500h? Would V6TT with Hybrid be overkill? That is what the S Class has and the A8 e-Tron will get.

For all the V8 fans out there (me including), I doubt we'll see a new V8TT engine, unless the LS F and LC F are really coming, or Lexus will build another supercar. I expect a different V6TT version/tuning for the Supra (probably same for next IS F) and Land Cruiser to replace the GR family.

On the other hand, but we have to face the truth, soon high-performance ICEs will be no match against HP BEVs.

Reactions
The weird treatment of the front fenders makes it resemble an old Mazda 6, weak and cheap. Not a worthy design for an LS.
Mazda_6_front_20090212.jpg

Reactions: RAL