5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The AWD in Sedans and Coupes that have longitudinal engine configuration can adapt the front/rear axle and left/right torque distribution with regard to the driving conditions requirements, but in normal conditions they have torque distribution of 30% - 40% in front wheels and 60% - 70% in rear wheels. This also applied to the 4-WD system on the GX and LX but of course the 4-WD system is by far more capable than All-Weather-Drive system in terms of off roading capabilities.

But the crossovers RX and NX are always front wheel driven, except in certain conditions such as slip in rear wheels or high speed cornering they can send power up to 50% to the rear wheels.

I think this is due to longitudinal engine mounting VS transverse engine mounting. :no_mouth:

AWD means AWD... rest is just marketing and how different manufacturers want to approach it.

As to the FWD/RWD and ladder frame vehicles, they can all be AWD. First 2 generations of RAV4 had full time AWD. Same for RX. Reason they are moving to part time systems with FWD favor is cost and emissions/mpg as well as technical developments that allowed for such systems to work well.

And since when do GX and LX have 4WD? They are AWD. Other than for having fun off road, full time AWD is far superior system since with 4WD it is essentially part time system because to enable 4WD, you lock the differentials together which means your turning is limited. In the end you will be mostly driving RWD. With AWD, there are 3 differentials and some kind of LSD or clutch between them which enables front and rear wheels to drive at different speeds, meaning you can turn :).

You can find more info here:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/whats-the-difference-between-four-wheel-drive-and-all-wheel-drive/

Toyota has cheaper trucks that what 4WD like 4Runner and Fortuner. They are simpler and cheaper.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
AWD means AWD... rest is just marketing and how different manufacturers want to approach it.

As to the FWD/RWD and ladder frame vehicles, they can all be AWD. First 2 generations of RAV4 had full time AWD. Same for RX. Reason they are moving to part time systems with FWD favor is cost and emissions/mpg as well as technical developments that allowed for such systems to work well.

And since when do GX and LX have 4WD? They are AWD. Other than for having fun off road, full time AWD is far superior system since with 4WD it is essentially part time system because to enable 4WD, you lock the differentials together which means your turning is limited. In the end you will be mostly driving RWD. With AWD, there are 3 differentials and some kind of LSD or clutch between them which enables front and rear wheels to drive at different speeds, meaning you can turn :).

You can find more info here:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/whats-the-difference-between-four-wheel-drive-and-all-wheel-drive/

Toyota has cheaper trucks that what 4WD like 4Runner and Fortuner. They are simpler and cheaper.

I don't think so, I've been read every single word in your resource and it say nothing new.

The 4-WD isn't just the old one, it has a lot of developments and capabilities now days.

Its known that, the AWD system is for sedans, coupes, super cars, CROSSOVERS,, but the TRUCKS or BODY ON FRAME SUV they have 4-WD, they are real off-roaders

And the LAND CRUISER, LX and GX are true 4-WD full OFF-ROAD capable Body-on-Frame SUVs not Crossovers

The LEXUS website here stated that for GX and LX " Full time-4WD "
http://www.lexus.com/

And this a video for the Off-Road Capabilities of the LX :

Reactions: Den

Benny1908

Fan
Reactions
I got some interesting info from the Vienna Motor Symposium 2017.

Here in Europe Mercedes will offer the new 3.0 I6 engine with 2 power levels.
S400 - 361hp/367ps - 369lb-ft/500Nm
S500 - 428hp/435ps - 384 lb-ft/520Nm + 22ps - 184lb-ft/250Nm E-Boost, thanks to the new mild hybrid system with the ISG (Integrated Starter Generator) which reduce the turbo lag.

So the S500 will be the direct competitor to the LS500 here, and not the S560. Lexus is a real game changer now and they can steal many buyers from the german trio this time, especially from bmw and audi :cool: V6 with V8 power, RWD/AWD options and the most original design.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
1) it looks great
2) thanks for sharing
3) why did Lexus send out a car without floor mats?
4) I'll be shocked if the production AWD model has that stance

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
1) it looks great
2) thanks for sharing
3) why did Lexus send out a car without floor mats?
4) I'll be shocked if the production AWD model has that stance

Cars dont come with mats from factory, it is local accessory.

As to the vehicle itself, I think it needs to be seen live to be fully appreciated. Cant wait!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Cars dont come with mats from factory, it is local accessory.

As to the vehicle itself, I think it needs to be seen live to be fully appreciated. Cant wait!

Yes but this is obviously a corporate-owned display vehicle and not a production one. They should have done a better job finishing it off before presenting it to the public - no floor mats is embarrassing.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Does anyone have an idea of the price range for this car? God, it's beautiful! The more pictures I see of it the more I like it. The front end really looks good. This picture of the spindle grill is great; one of the best pictures I've seen of the grill on the LS500h / LS500. The interior is simply gorgeous with its sweeping lines and leather. Boy, those seats look comfortable!

Reactions: Dan

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I have mixed emotions about the LF-FC coming later as a "non-LS" vehicle. Another halo sedan above LS in the Lexus lineup with a different name would be a no-go IMO, so maybe it will use some version of "LS _____."
Anyway, what it seems to me is that, the LF-FC is definitely going to arrive as a fuel cell-powered larger vehicle, an XL version of the LS with unique styling. Similar to how the XL length X222 Mercedes-Maybach S600 exists alongside the LWB W222 Mercedes-Benz S600.

The fuel cell will be a six-figure priced Lexus come 2020, as a possible Mercedes-Benz Maybach competitor. Lexus knew very well back in mid-2014, the design that was signed-off would be controversial, which coincides with many summer 2014 articles on Lexus going after the Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera. Yet they ended up favouring a more cab-rearward design for their concept developed in the months after that.
I was laying in my bed one day, when BOOM it came to my head.

Lexus LS 600 Century

Century refers to the Toyota Century which was ToMoCo’s competitor in the supersedan segment. However, it was extremely outdated and had a very underwhelming powertrain. The Century name will make this model the technical successor while being badged as a Lexus. Similar to how Mercedes-Benz brought back the Maybach name and put it on the S-Class to make an ultra-luxury sedan.