5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

James

Founding Member
Reactions
A bunch of pals and current LS owners were not super impressed with the 2018. That is until they saw it at the Atlanta Auto Show.

I truly feel it is something you have to see in person.
I totally agree I didn't like it that much until I saw it at NAIS.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
A bunch of pals and current LS owners were not super impressed with the 2018. That is until they saw it at the Atlanta Auto Show.

I concur... Just got back from the Atlanta show. It's gorgeous! I apologize for the low quality zoom on some of the pictures.. tried to show the intricate details of the new LS. Truly something to behold.IMG_1190.JPG-2.jpeg IMG_1191.JPG-1.jpeg IMG_1192.JPG-1.jpeg IMG_1194.JPG-1.jpeg IMG_1195.JPG-1.jpeg IMG_1197.JPG.jpeg IMG_1200.JPG-1.jpeg

IMG_1190.JPG-2.jpeg

zeusus

Follower
Reactions

Unfortunately many 'grown adults' don't understand the concept that perception from a screen is not the same as perception in real life.

As well as the difference in how basic car modeling photos are taken from angles that common adult sized human beings do not view from. Cars are not designed to look good in photos, they're designed to look good in person.

Is it too much to ask for people to think for themselves 2 steps ahead instead of 1? :oops::oops::oops:

I'm curious, do you guys prefer the cut glass trim on the hybrid or the traditional on the TT?

RichieRich

Founding Member
Reactions
Unfortunately many 'grown adults' don't understand the concept that perception from a screen is not the same as perception in real life.

As well as the difference in how basic car modeling photos are taken from angles that common adult sized human beings do not view from. Cars are not designed to look good in photos, they're designed to look good in person.

Is it too much to ask for people to think for themselves 2 steps ahead instead of 1? :oops::oops::oops:

I'm curious, do you guys prefer the cut glass trim on the hybrid or the traditional on the TT?
Cut glass trim works for my taste buds. Hoping it will be in the LS500 version. It should be :). I also prefer the LS500H exterior looks over the LS500.
The Black color helps in my decision of the LS500H looking better. Black is the color I'm Getting. It's A Beauty :)

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
So I am hearing that it will definitely be a 2018.5 model at this point? Lexus USA now confirms that as well, in showing that it will be available in "early 2018". I don't think it can be re-designated a 2019 model at this point, right? I cannot find an end of production (EOP) date for the LS 460 (L), but can imagine the LS will undergo a hiatus at this point.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So I am hearing that it will definitely be a 2018.5 model at this point? Lexus USA now confirms that as well, in showing that it will be available in "early 2018". I don't think it can be re-designated a 2019 model at this point, right? I cannot find an end of production (EOP) date for the LS 460 (L), but can imagine the LS will undergo a hiatus at this point.
Looks that way. I guess that if the higher-volume GS skipped a whole model year (2012) in the transition from 3rd-gen to 4th-gen, Lexus can manage a few months (and no skipped model years) in the 4LS to 5LS transition.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Looks that way. I guess that if the higher-volume GS skipped a whole model year (2012) in the transition from 3rd-gen to 4th-gen, Lexus can manage a few months (and no skipped model years) in the 4LS to 5LS transition.

Well, that is unless the fourth generation ends production in December and is allowed to be sold as an untitled 2017 model in early 2018. It might end production though in Q3. Do have to wonder if the GS was supposed to arrive as a 2012 model instead, but like the LC, they pushed it back and made it an early 2013 model year introduction in late February 2012.

I feel they should commemorate end of XF40 production this year by doing a long press piece on it, as Mercedes-Benz always does with every S-Class generation. Eleven and half years is an achievement, no matter how you slice it.

Sales have only dipped due to market trends and reveal of the successor, as even the LS 430 sales drop post January 8, 2006 cost Lexus the best selling flagship title against the new W221 S-Class. The LS 460 barely went on sale to stave off losses in mid-October 2006. In 2007, the LS made serious sales records of 73,000 cars sold and then lost its title for good in 2010 because of a meagre refresh.

Only Mercedes-Benz achieved this feat with their W126 (official second generation S-Class) that was in production for 11 1/2 years from late 1979 to mid-1991. When MB used to overstretch life-cycles, they turned lemons into lemonade by acting it was the death of an icon, instead of an aging model.

The brand really needs to do more in-depth pieces and documentaries on the Lexus brand and its products, the way that competitors do. I understand that certain types of information and processes are privileged in being too sensitive to publicize, but they should also remember this is what creates a brand history to refer to and also aids in building a great heritage.

There are video documentaries on how each generation of S-Class came to be, as well as that of books and articles in print. I can only reference one short video for the first generation LS and that's it.

It seems at times, that I have to do deep research all over the place and compile all that information together, to create a history and timeline for each LS generation, but even at that it is difficult and disjointed when you are not an insider.

BMW has marketing experts all over the place, speaking the virtues of their products and dropping info on future models in the pipeline.

I really want to hear in-depth information on this car, to confirm what I heard or assumed during the past several years and learn more about it. Knowing typical Lexus, I probably won't hear much, except for brief soundbites and generic press fluff. Same goes for the LC, in just relying on Motor Trend to "tell the story".

I wish they would just give krew exclusive pieces on such processes or milestones, as the amount of traffic it would bring here would be something else.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions

Yeah seems it was moved back...thought it was going to be fall.....

Reactions
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/2018-lexus-ls-500h-debuts-in-north.html

Also it looks like it's an AWD model if you look at that teeny-tiny badge just right of the LS500h badge.

2018-lexus-ls-500h-3.jpg

I wish Lexus somehow was more elegant in indicating that this has AWD than just slapping an "AWD" badge as if it were some family sedan.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
You don't want it to be too fancy though. On that score, Mercedes does OK because even non-car-people can figure out that 4MATIC means AWD/4WD. Similarly, Acura's SH-AWD is unpackable, and the "Super Handling" part describes more or less what it does for you. But "X-Drive" sounds like something that's going to go wrong on Star Trek: The Next Generation and strand Picard with the Klingons.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Nice picture. And I don't know a more elegant way to say "AWD". Mercedes and BMW use the same nomenclature (4MATIC and X-Drive) all the way up and down the line.

I don't know, 4MATIC sounds pretty silly to me but its important to chose a name and commit to it or don't change the name at all if you can't take it all the way home. X-drive sounds much cooler.

Reactions
Well, that's the thing....4Matic, Xdrive, Quattro....yeah, it may come off as gimmicky but it does a good job of highlighting an option or a feature that a customer may not be aware of.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
AWD stands for " ALL WEATHER DRIVE " This is known for the Full-time all wheel drive in sedans such as IS , GS , RC and LS

But AWD in the NX and RX stands for ALL WHEEL DRIVE which is Part-time all wheel drive .
IMO that makes no sense, the SUVs/CUVs should be all-time AWD, and the sedans should be able to switch between RWD and AWD.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
IMO that makes no sense, the SUVs/CUVs should be all-time AWD, and the sedans should be able to switch between RWD and AWD.

The AWD in Sedans and Coupes that have longitudinal engine configuration can adapt the front/rear axle and left/right torque distribution with regard to the driving conditions requirements, but in normal conditions they have torque distribution of 30% - 40% in front wheels and 60% - 70% in rear wheels. This also applied to the 4-WD system on the GX and LX but of course the 4-WD system is by far more capable than All-Weather-Drive system in terms of off roading capabilities.

But the crossovers RX and NX are always front wheel driven, except in certain conditions such as slip in rear wheels or high speed cornering they can send power up to 50% to the rear wheels.

I think this is due to longitudinal engine mounting VS transverse engine mounting. :no_mouth: