Reactions
RCF hit 0-60 mph in 4.1 seconds in C&D test (officially 4.2 seconds as per Lexus) so I assume it is going to be the same for this IS500 F-Sport. It won't be slower in a straight line. I think it is just for marketing since RCF is more expensive because of other reasons (brakes, suspension. carbon, TVD etc,).

I suspect the IS500 F-Sport Performance may be significantly lighter and faster than an RCF in a straight line but Lexus is underrating its official performance numbers so as not to destroy the sales argument for an RCF, which will be quite a bit more expensive than an IS500.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I suspect the IS500 F-Sport Performance may be significantly lighter and faster than an RCF in a straight line but Lexus is underrating its official performance numbers so as not to destroy the sales argument for an RCF, which will be quite a bit more expensive than an IS500.

I think it will be about the same. No launch control on the 500 and less sticky tires. I expect low 4s again. This engine isn’t a 0-60 monster. For me that makes the IS wonderful. I do wish the 350 is faster so this is a logical step up.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
would it be physically possible to fit the is350 hood on the is500 by taking the engine cover off?

Reactions
That is quite an erroneous statement. RCF pulled almost 1.00 G on the skidpad in tests. Its lap times average within 1 - 2% of that of an M4. Only the LFA managed a better than 1.00 g lateral grip number. Yes, it is heavy, but that is the price of the added chassis rigidity, suspension work and big brakes, cooling, wheels etc., but the IS500 in all likelihood would not be lighter given an IS350 F-Sport is already 3800+ lbs with RWD. Besides, the new M4/M3 are also 3900 - 4000 lbs.

Combined with the TE, it is most track oriented platform right now based on GT class homologation for racing. An IS F-Sport is not about to outhandle a much more premium priced RCF unless Lexus gives similar power, suspension, big brake kit, TVD and chassis rigidity. At which point, it is pretty much a full blown new gen ISF and not an F-Sport. An IS350 F-Sport is already around $56K. If we added all of the bells and whistles, it is easily going to be a base price around $70K for this new F-Sport model.
Each to there own, but I found the RCF very heavy and not very exciting to drive. Its a mixed match of 3 models and the interior is terrible. I am absolutely a Lexus fan but if the RCF its that good why does sell in such low numbers...read the reviews...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Each to there own, but I found the RCF very heavy and not very exciting to drive. Its a mixed match of 3 models and the interior is terrible. I am absolutely a Lexus fan but if the RCF its that good why does sell in such low numbers...read the reviews...
because one test drive is not enough. the more you drive it the more you like it. at least that is what owners say. new german cars get boring very fast, that is why they change them so often.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The RC "platform" has never been as good as "New N" despite Lexus' work on revising it over the years. They have done the best they can with what was originally a somewhat frankenstein formula, but this is one of the reasons I am expecting the IS 500 to be altogether better than the RC F.

IS and GS were and have been hailed as excellent riding and handling cars, but short on power. IS 500 should fix that and be a better starting point. Minus the TVD, I expect IS 500 to be a lot like a scaled down GS F - which is the best overall car I've ever driven.

Funny that when the RC F came out, everyone was harping on it being 4,000lbs and now just a few years later, we let out a sigh of relief when a new performance car weighs that much 😲

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Anyone who says to read car reviews doesn't actually have any experience buying and appreciating different vehicles.

Car reviews are entertainment for window shoppers and spec sheet warriors.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions

It is a phenomenally exciting car to drive in the hands of someone who knows how to properly push it to the limits. Like I said above, other Lexus other than the LFA, RCF pulled amazing handling numbers. Numbers don't lie.

Even non-enthusiasts walking out of my car have a huge grin on their face. The fact that you think it is a "mix of three different cars" and "interior is horrible" speaks to your blatant bias. Design is subjective, but having owned it for 4+ years it is of the highest quality material and workmanship and the seats are some of the best in the business. Long story short, the chassis was developed from the ground up as a racing homologation GT racing chassis that was developed for that purpose (and it wins races all over the world as the RCF GT3). I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

jelly1928

Fan
Reactions
It is a phenomenally exciting car to drive in the hands of someone who knows how to properly push it to the limits. Like I said above, there is no other Lexus other than the LFA that pulled the handling numbers that RCF did. Numbers don't lie.

Even non-enthusiasts walking out of my car have a huge grin on their face. The fact that you think it is a "mix of three different cars" and "interior is horrible" speaks to your blatant bias. Design is subjective, but having owned it for 4+ years it is of the highest quality material and workmanship and the seats are some of the best in the business. Long story short, the chassis was developed from the ground up as a racing homologation GT racing chassis that was developed for that purpose (and it wins races all over the world as the RCF GT3). I will leave it at that.

This

mikeavelli

Reactions
I had a RC F for awhile too. It is one of those cars you gotta learn and it rewards you. It’s a car that likes to slide the rear and for you to master that. I agree the interior isn’t amazing but it’s well built.

It’s also quite rare. You just don’t really see them.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Thanks Mike. Agreed. like you It is my hobby/project car. I have a Lexus RX450h and another Corolla that do all of the duties. If I wanted a more dedicated track car, I would have got that instead. It does a great job at doing everything well, which is what makes it so much fun. Having two baby seats in the back while listening to the engine scream while turning hard through a long sweeper. That is what its all about. Also, the interior feels like a fighter jet cockpit. Design being hate/love aside, it is a great place to be,

I had a RC F for awhile too. It is one of those cars you gotta learn and it rewards you. It’s a car that likes to slide the rear and for you to master that. I agree the interior isn’t amazing but it’s well built.

It’s also quite rare. You just don’t really see them.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
I am a little concerned with the possibility of the prestige of this crazy V8-powered beast being diluted because of "plebian" models like the UX that have the exact same badge yet only have little more than an appearance package added on.

They should've at least put a little 'PERFORMANCE' text at the bottom to distinguish it from the everyday soccer mom RX.

Hey now!! My 2021 NX300h F Sport Black Line Edition is a performance monster. I've got the aluminum pedals to prove it. 😁

I'm quite surprised that the V8 made it into the IS500. I would have thought they would use the 3.5 V6 TT just to try and give it some life outside of the LS.

Reactions
Anyone who says to read car reviews doesn't actually have any experience buying and appreciating different vehicles.

Car reviews are entertainment for window shoppers and spec sheet warriors.
Interesting you nothing about me, the cars I own or what I have owned but you are criticizing me for reading car reviews...wow

Reactions
The RC "platform" has never been as good as "New N" despite Lexus' work on revising it over the years. They have done the best they can with what was originally a somewhat frankenstein formula, but this is one of the reasons I am expecting the IS 500 to be altogether better than the RC F.

IS and GS were and have been hailed as excellent riding and handling cars, but short on power. IS 500 should fix that and be a better starting point. Minus the TVD, I expect IS 500 to be a lot like a scaled down GS F - which is the best overall car I've ever driven.

Funny that when the RC F came out, everyone was harping on it being 4,000lbs and now just a few years later, we let out a sigh of relief when a new performance car weighs that much 😲
Agree it is a frankenstein formula, the new IS will be away better than the RCF.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Agree it is a frankenstein formula, the new IS will be away better than the RCF.

LOL. RCF chassis is much stiffer than the IS. IS and GS chassis are soft and not rigid enough, if I were to be perfectly objective. Good or bad, the flex a lot under high torsional stress situations like hard turning. RCF has no noticeable flex and I have seen it almost go tripod on steep approach angles. That is why all of that effort went into making RCF have all of the constructed as a unibody construction using laser screw welding rather than the traditional welding method. It has braces and rigidity beams in the doors , underbody, trunk, in the hood and the sills for added rigidity that the IS or the GS platform does not have. Anyone could tell that by looking at the size of the doorsills and the weight of the doors because of the rigidity beams running through the door. The handling numbers also agree with me.

Frankenstein formula is used by all of the leading brands. Porsche uses it, BMW uses it. Look up how 1M was built. Lexus is not the first. It is not as optimal as building a brand new chassis like they did for the LC, but it is the next best thing they could do. You are showing your lack of knowledge based on what Matt Farrah said. That chassis wins races and used in all of Lexus racing. I can post interview of the chief engineer's interview explaining why the 3IS chassis was not sufficient for their RCF racing homologation aspirations and why they needed to build a new chassis. They even were testing the RCF chassis in the ISF CCSR guise in racing. They could have made a 2 door coupe easily out of 3IS chassis for much cheaper, if it was better for racing.

I don't doubt IS500 F-Sport would be a phenomenal car. With a narrower axle width/track and less mechanical grip with the same amount of power, it would be easier to break the rear loose making it a hooligan's car. Some people might finding it more engaging, but it is back to the purpose of the two cars.

If you dlslike the RCF, that is your choice and I would not say anything about that. However, when you trash a car based on viral reviews then you are going to get the facts thrown back at you.

If you are thinking IS500 F-Sport is going to outhandle the RCF without the suspension/chassis hardware RCF has, that is your own subjective opinion.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IS 500: 3,891 lbs
BMW M340i xDrive: 3,968 lbs
Audi S4: 3,847 lbs
Mercedes C43 AMG 4MATIC: 3,825 lbs

Interesting to me that the BMW is the heaviest of the bunch, but I realize each of these cars is a little different in philosophy. IS 500 is the only one that isn't AWD, and they're all within ~150lbs of eachother, so I'm pretty excited for the track battle once it inevitably comes.