JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Well, due to regulations I don't believe Lexus will be able to sell the 2UR engine or any "New N" car by 2024...

This being said, I'm not seeing this current 3.5IS/RC going further than MY2023, so we should see the latest iteration for both models later this year and for that they're reasonable new offers... Maybe suspension tuning?

All of this with a new worldwide BEV Electric Sedan coming during 2024 has a MY2025.
I really wish we could see an all new TNGA IS/RC instead of an electric IS. I think the 2025 MY will be electric.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
couple of appearance packages, will be the what will carry the IS to its next generation

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
This IS refresh is slated for MY 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 but it's already restricted to specific markets with a small footprint. After that, I think it's pretty much game over.

Perhaps they can hybridized the 2UR with electric motors to meet regulations?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Perhaps they can hybridized the 2UR with electric motors to meet regulations?
they would have to switch a tune to make the 2ur meet regulations, but it would be less power and torque. even if they hybridize the 2ur which is unlikely, I think it would still be considered a "bad" engine in terms of emissions. Also, the 2gr won't survive as we see it's being replaced by t24.

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Or they just put two hydrogen tanks and use that beautiful Yamaha H2 2UR engine. Think bigger!
Unless toyota or some toyota subsidiary has plans of going big with hydrogen availability across the key markets for these vehicles, that idea is as going nowhere anytime soon.

Cancelled Lexus GS Toyota Mirai's current limiting factor.

Reactions
My .02: I will be interested to see if Lexus USA improves this car for 2023 and 2024, or just considers it a "set it and forget it" from the 2022 model year on with no further R&D value considering the upcoming switch to electric.

Lexus has historically made YoY improvements to F cars for spring rates, transmission tuning, suspension calibration and unsprung weight, so it's easy to see how some minor changes would go a long way with this car. I see a ton of potential for the IS 500 -- almost more than an F car because it exists in a gray area -- but I can also see where maybe Lexus wouldn't see that value.

The IS 500 has been an absolute slam dunk so far and I really hope they carry support for the car as long as possible. It's created nearly the same level of enthusiast engagement and fanfare as the IS F, which did wonders for Lexus.

For 2023, I could see Lexus: adding the oil and trans coolers, changing the brake pads, switching tires, retuning the suspension slightly? We should know more soon...
You might as well call it the IS F and beef it up like crazy.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With some reports of the transmission and engine oil overheating, like in that lightning lap article, the coolers are pretty easy F bolt-on parts that can fix those problems. It would still take much more than that to be a true IS F, for starters, a stronger engine, better brakes and a better transmission.

Because the IS 500 has the same powertrain as F cars from 2015 and 2017 doesn’t mean it would qualify as a new F car for 2023.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
With some reports of the transmission and engine oil overheating, like in that lightning lap article, the coolers are pretty easy F bolt-on parts that can fix those problems. It would still take much more than that to be a true IS F, for starters, a stronger engine, better brakes and a better transmission.

Because the IS 500 has the same powertrain as F cars from 2015 and 2017 doesn’t mean it would qualify as a new F car for 2023.
fair enough

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Without a new ground up platform, powertrain package, and a otherwordly marketing campaign its going to be difficult even to make a new F car sub 100k that sells decent without factory support.

The competition is fierce, and I mean they can launch a potato on wheels with an M/AMG badge and it will outsell new performance entrees.

Reactions
This dude is a terrible car reviewer.
He definitely is.

I’m hearing it’s moving to EV… Lexus is happy with the IS
So they will call it what... the IZ? One thing I am wondering is that does the Z lineup replace every other Lexus vehicle? It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I WANTED TO SEE THE TTV6 IN AN IS.

Last edited:

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
We’ve already seen the BEV IS in concept form.

View attachment 5950
He definitely is.

So they will call it what... the IZ? One thing I am wondering is that does the Z lineup replace every other Lexus vehicle? It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, F*CK. I WANTED TO SEE THE TTV6 IN AN IS.
This car is as stunning as the current IS imo. It hurts me to see this design be electric. I also wanted to see the v35 in the IS so badly :( IS is my favourite car from Lexus. I wonder if any of the car reviewers got any news of the future of the IS. I remember last year's HQC @Gecko and @krew said on their podcasts that Lexus is committed to the IS and RC, but I wonder if that commitment is making it electric

Last edited:

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
This car is as stunning as the current IS imo. It hurts me to see this design be electric. I also wanted to see the v35 in the IS so badly :( IS is my favourite car from Lexus. I wonder if any of the car reviewers got any news of the future of the IS. I remember last year's HQC @Gecko and @krew said on their podcasts they Lexus is committed to the IS and RC, nut I wonder if that commitment is making it electric

They should do it like Germans: a base 2.4 L4, a higher tier 3.4L TTV6, an FSP with electrified 3.4 TTV6, a full F with TTV8, and perhaps one pure BEV to meet CAFE. I'm just daydreaming LOL.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
They should do it like Germans: a base 2.4 L4, a higher tier 3.4L TTV6, an FSP with electrified 3.4 TTV6, a full F with TTV8, and perhaps one pure BEV to meet CAFE. I'm just daydreaming LOL.
I doubt we will ever see another v8 from Lexus. Your right, make the t24 standard (different tune from NX/RX maybe higher redline more hp), detuned v35 maybe in 380hp range, that would make a beautiful FSP car. We'd probaly see a 350H from NX since all cars will be "electrified" as base also. But as you said this is a dream. Hate to see it go electric

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Some hate the IS to go electric, I'd hate every electric to only be a CUV. I hold my opinion CUVs are good at nothing, wagons are better for cargo, after panel vans.