Reactions
Time to watch a boat load of reviews. I only watched the review Mr. Goose so far and a bit from Winding Road Magazine.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
from video that woman triggered me: " I didn't like Lexus [...], they were a little bit too perfect.". BS.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I like the IS V8 very much, but there is one thing that really bothers me, it is the longer front overhang. it is not that the hood only is raised, the whole front is lengthened. after checking the IS F, it is the same case. While the IS-F and IS 500 extensions are subtle, they are still there. 1st gen IS, the 1UZ fits easily, there are so many swapped ones in Russia.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I like the IS V8 very much, but there is one thing that really bothers me, it is the longer front overhang. it is not that the hood only is raised, the whole front is lengthened. after checking the IS F, it is the same case. While the IS-F and IS 500 extensions are subtle, they are still there. 1st gen IS, the 1UZ fits easily, there are so many swapped ones in Russia.
Aftermarket swap has different boundary conditions than modern, crash test compliant vehicle from an OEM. For an aftermarket swap, the hood just has to close. My understanding from a friend that designed for Honda was that there is a specific gap required between the hood and the "hard parts" of the engine so that the hood has space to crush in the event of striking a pedestrian.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Aftermarket swap has different boundary conditions than modern, crash test compliant vehicle from an OEM. For an aftermarket swap, the hood just has to close. My understanding from a friend that designed for Honda was that there is a specific gap required between the hood and the "hard parts" of the engine so that the hood has space to crush in the event of striking a pedestrian.
yes i understand this. but the 1IS had I6, so the length was there, it also had a hood bulge. the 3GS was designed with V8 in mind, and has a longer front overhang. the 2IS has a really short front overhang. added length and height of UR with apparently even more voluminous intake manifold than other UR versions, there is no way around the UR size. Lexus just did a very good job suspension/handling development, but in terms of chassis, the layout is closer to Audi's front engine rather than BMW's semi-mid-front engine.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus just did a very good job suspension/handling development, but in terms of chassis, the layout is closer to Audi's front engine rather than BMW's semi-mid-front engine.

Despite the elongated nose, the IS500 still has a 55/45 weight distribution, which is good for its class. The m340i for example, has a tested 54/46 distribution. It is about the same balance. Even the M cars are more like 53/47 in tests. The new Subaru BRZ/GT86 is 55/45. A lot of times the whole 50/50 weight distribution gets thrown around when rarely cars are around 50/50. The Audis are 60/40 so they have all of the engine weight pinned to the radiator much like other FWD based cars.

Last edited: