Levi

Expert
Reactions
on the contrary i like if the IS v8 looks like normal IS which already has all the "show" and does not need more, compared to german rivals.

on the contrary now even slow cars get sport package looks. no more stylish sleepers.

AMG cars for example do not look like sleepers, but they do not look special either because every normal Benz has AMG package.

to resolve this issue, Audi exaggerates the RS cars body kits not too look like every S package car, but these RS end up looking ridiculous, oversized cheap squares with now 22" rims looking tiny and tucked in.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think I have mentioned this before, but if this product is the IS 500 and if it comes as that and not an IS F, for the most part, I think that's perfectly fine.

Why? Yeah, enthusiast cars are more likely to go to enthusiasts and people who make a lot of noise on internet forums and watch YouTube videos, but a lot of the people I know who bought F products - IS Fs and RC Fs - bought them just as a step up and something a little "more" than the lower models. Not as a direct comparison to an M3 or M4, but because they wanted a Lexus that was a little different and with a little more attitude.

We often get caught up in: IS F vs. M3 vs. C63 or RC F vs M4 vs C63, or even GS F vs M5 vs E63... I'm not saying those conversations aren't important and that Lexus shouldn't be recognizing their value, but Lexus also has a captive base of buyers who are just looking for something a little different. And for those people, sometimes the M and AMG products aren't even on the radar - but Lexus needs to provide paths/options to move up before people go elsewhere.

I think this forum, and automotive forums in general, quickly breaks cars down to 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, horsepower, torque, AWD, traction... but for real buyers and owners, it's often more about a logical progression within a brand or lineup and less about "Is this equivalent to an M car? Is this as fast as an AMG?"

Audi has done this very well as most of their cars usually don't match BMW or Mercedes for power, and that includes S/RS cars. They offer the 2.0Ts for people who don't care, the 2.9/3.0T where they can sell it at a premium, and then make the S cars feel like a special upgrade. If you really want something fast and unique, yeah, you can step up to an RS product... but S still feels unique and special, serves as a halo for the brand and sells at a decent volume.

IS 300 --> IS 350 F-Sport --> IS 500 F-Sport creates an awesome upgrade path that hasn't existed in almost a decade. Very cool, regardless of the M3, C63 or anything else.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
I think I have mentioned this before, but if this product is the IS 500 and if it comes as that and not an IS F, for the most part, I think that's perfectly fine.

Why? Yeah, enthusiast cars are more likely to go to enthusiasts and people who make a lot of noise on internet forums and watch YouTube videos, but a lot of the people I know who bought F products - IS Fs and RC Fs - bought them just as a step up and something a little "more" than the lower models. Not as a direct comparison to an M3 or M4, but because they wanted a Lexus that was a little different and with a little more attitude.

We often get caught up in: IS F vs. M3 vs. C63 or RC F vs M4 vs C63, or even GS F vs M5 vs E63... I'm not saying those conversations aren't important and that Lexus shouldn't be recognizing their value, but Lexus also has a captive base of buyers who are just looking for something a little different. And for those people, sometimes the M and AMG products aren't even on the radar - but Lexus needs to provide paths/options to move up before people go elsewhere.

I think this forum, and automotive forums in general, quickly breaks cars down to 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, horsepower, torque, AWD, traction... but for real buyers and owners, it's often more about a logical progression within a brand or lineup and less about "Is this equivalent to an M car? Is this as fast as an AMG?"

Audi has done this very well as most of their cars usually don't match BMW or Mercedes for power, and that includes S/RS cars. They offer the 2.0Ts for people who don't care, the 2.9/3.0T where they can sell it at a premium, and then make the S cars feel like a special upgrade. If you really want something fast and unique, yeah, you can step up to an RS product... but S still feels unique and special, serves as a halo for the brand and sells at a decent volume.

IS 300 --> IS 350 F-Sport --> IS 500 F-Sport creates an awesome upgrade path that hasn't existed in almost a decade. Very cool, regardless of the M3, C63 or anything else.
Agree completely.

For me personally I wanted something more than my first GS and the model improved over the years. After a couple of GS 450h, my next Lexus was RC F. Then went for the GS F with a bit more space. Then the LC 500.

Over the years I always had a nice feeling, moving up and getting something special. F**k the germans... and other car brands.

But now I wanted someting nice, not just for me, but for my family as well. So, ended up with RX 450h f-sport. Butiful car. The downside - don´t feel so special anymore. And have, for the first time started to look at other brands than Lexus... 😞

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Friendly reminder that the RX refresh came with a new approach to F Sport, breaking the performance and aesthetics into options. If they offered F sport motor choices, wouldn't be surprising.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Well said

Reactions
Agree completely.

For me personally I wanted something more than my first GS and the model improved over the years. After a couple of GS 450h, my next Lexus was RC F. Then went for the GS F with a bit more space. Then the LC 500.

Over the years I always had a nice feeling, moving up and getting something special. F**k the germans... and other car brands.

But now I wanted someting nice, not just for me, but for my family as well. So, ended up with RX 450h f-sport. Butiful car. The downside - don´t feel so special anymore. And have, for the first time started to look at other brands than Lexus... 😞
Exactly the reason why we need a RX-F. More choices is not a bad thing. I'm sure most will be fine with just the F-Sport RX. But some of us want the RX-F and not have to go to other brands.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-02-20-lexus-second-teaser.jpg

Lexus has shared another early look at their next vehicle launch with Lexus Enthusiast, giving us a second teaser before any other media outlets. Before we dig deeper, let’s recap our thoughts on the first teaser from last week:
2021-02-14-lexus-f-sport-teaser.jpg

There are certainly no rules in regards to engine cover design, and there’s every possibility of a new powertrain lurking under this plastic shield. However, for the sake of analysis, let’s assume the V8 is the engine. The major difference is the logo — instead of the stylized F of the Lexus high-performance F brand, this new vehicle will be released as an F SPORT product.
The LC 500 is the only existing model to have the V8 and not offer a F SPORT option, but it feels too late in the...

Continue reading...

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Edited: unnecessarily rude comment directed towards UX chief designer.

To comment on the new teaser by Lexus: looks like IS500 F-sport is almost 100% confirmed. 😍