I would like to hear from owners about 2UR-GSE real world efficiency

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The 2UR-GSE (type 2015) has the Atkinson/Otto double cycles that reduces fuel consumption. On paper it's comparable to some turbocharged V6 competitors which is quite impressive. I would like to know from RC-F/GS-F/LC500/IS500 owners about their real life experiences with the fuel consumption of this engine. Please describe your usage scenario (daily or sporty driving or track driving) and your driving style. I would also like to hear about V35 from both LS500 and LX600 owners.

I've been recording the fuel efficiency of my BMW 440i xdrive with 6-speed manual and the upgraded 360PS tune of the B58 (regular 340/440 were 325PS). Over 6 months I averaged 20-21 MPG urban, 23-25 MPG combined and 31-32 MPG highway. I tend to drive as efficiently as possible: shift early, always use cruise control, keep 5-6 car lengths space, lift-and-coast instead of braking. But at the same time I often accelerate WOT when getting on a highway. The early B58 had a micro-hybrid system which uses a BSG to do energy recovery (a weak but noticeable regenerative braking effect), and it rewards lift-and-coast a lot. The car can stop with engine off for really long so the start/stop can really save a lot of fuel.

I ask this because some time in the near future I plan to buy a Lexus with 2UR-GSE. I love the B58 but even such a good turbocharged engine doesn't have the level of responsiveness I desire. I know this may sound dumb but I do try to get as much efficiency out of every type of vehicle I own.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
The 2UR-GSE (type 2015) has the Atkinson/Otto double cycles that reduces fuel consumption. On paper it's comparable to some turbocharged V6 competitors which is quite impressive. I would like to know from RC-F/GS-F/LC500/IS500 owners about their real life experiences with the fuel consumption of this engine. Please describe your usage scenario (daily or sporty driving or track driving) and your driving style. I would also like to hear about V35 from both LS500 and LX600 owners.

I've been recording the fuel efficiency of my BMW 440i xdrive with 6-speed manual and the upgraded 360PS tune of the B58 (regular 340/440 were 325PS). Over 6 months I averaged 20-21 MPG urban, 23-25 MPG combined and 31-32 MPG highway. I tend to drive as efficiently as possible: shift early, always use cruise control, keep 5-6 car lengths space, lift-and-coast instead of braking. But at the same time I often accelerate WOT when getting on a highway. The early B58 had a micro-hybrid system which uses a BSG to do energy recovery (a weak but noticeable regenerative braking effect), and it rewards lift-and-coast a lot. The car can stop with engine off for really long so the start/stop can really save a lot of fuel.

I ask this because some time in the near future I plan to buy a Lexus with 2UR-GSE. I love the B58 but even such a good turbocharged engine doesn't have the level of responsiveness I desire. I know this may sound dumb but I do try to get as much efficiency out of every type of vehicle I own.

Mixed city/highway driving and mostly cruising at traffic speeds with occasional spirited driving. The car itself says the fuel economy ranges mostly at around 12 - 14 liter per 100 KM. Last I checked, I would say it was around 19 - 20 MPG. Would be better if I drove in NORMAL or ECO mode with AUTO mode as I would not be accelerating much in those modes. i could see around 24 MPG city/highway or better, if I did not do any spirited driving, but it is my hobby/fun car so even running errands would involve some spirited driving. I read once someone did highway driving only in ECO mode and got almost 30 mpg with granny driving.

I always use SPORT+ and MANUAL mode with TVD set to SLALOM mode for the fast steering response. Let me know if you have any questions.

I also have some mods and mostly the fuel economy is just about the same. My mods are:

Full catback exhaust (Invidia Q300)
AFE Power Stage 2 Cold Air Intake
AFE Power Electronic Throttle Programmer (I keep it in RACE mode level 5 out of 9)
ECU Software Tune
Antigravity Lithium Ion battery
Use Octane 94 always

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
When I had an IS 500 FSP for 4 days...

Always pretty hard driving except for highway, usually in Sport or Sport+
Overall average: 16.7 MPG
Highway cruising: 27 MPG

No cruise control, lots of abuse due to press car with a V8.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
27 MPG is actually just 1 lower than official figure for GR Corolla...

A 5.0L V8 getting fuel efficiency of a 1.6L I3 is quite good I would say.

BTW does it have auto start/stop?

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
2017 GS-F, completely stock. 30k miles on it.
I live in the Southeast, so pretty flat, near sea level.
I get about 23/24 in mixed use--about 60 highway, 40 city. Drive in normal mode mostly. Use cruise control when I can.
On the highway, I'm in eco and I get 27-28mpg. I once got 32mpg going like 55-60mph for a long, 100+ miles stretch.
No auto start/stop.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’m going to say you don’t buy this engine for efficiency. I honestly don’t care what MPG is gets. That said real world city MPG is around 15/16 MPG. Highway MPG is insane particularly in the LC with the ten speed. 28 MPG is normal and I’ve gotten as high as 32 MPG with a passenger going to Barber Motorsports Park.

The data I are with the other cars mentioned here is what I got in them. It is a hell of an engine.

True story one time I drove my old RC F from Miami to Atlanta. Kept it in sport plus. Couldn’t figure out why my MPG was 23/24. Yeah it’s cause the gear stayed in 6th not 8 lol. That’s major you gotta keep in comfort or normal to get the best highway MPG.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Guess the best option is daily a next-gen Prius and a V8 for long road trips lol. The LC with 570km/h 10th gear must be super efficient and quiet for cruising.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
27 MPG is actually just 1 lower than official figure for GR Corolla...

A 5.0L V8 getting fuel efficiency of a 1.6L I3 is quite good I would say.

BTW does it have auto start/stop?
I expect that the GR Corolla can get well over 30mpg when driven in a way that gets 27mpg out of the UR.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I just drove a GS F for 24 hours and I'm 95% certain my next car will be a GS F

I’m going to say you don’t buy this engine for efficiency. I honestly don’t care what MPG is gets. That said real world city MPG is around 15/16 MPG. Highway MPG is insane particularly in the LC with the ten speed. 28 MPG is normal and I’ve gotten as high as 32 MPG with a passenger going to Barber Motorsports Park.

The data I are with the other cars mentioned here is what I got in them. It is a hell of an engine.

True story one time I drove my old RC F from Miami to Atlanta. Kept it in sport plus. Couldn’t figure out why my MPG was 23/24. Yeah it’s cause the gear stayed in 6th not 8 lol. That’s major you gotta keep in comfort or
Now I totally see why it's easy to forget you leave it in Sport S+, because I did too!

Got 16.2MPG over 240mi

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
B58 is a decent sounding, constantly delivering amazing engine, but the NA 2UR has a lot more character and soul.

It might be considered terrible by some at part-throttle and the behavior in auto mode. I never use auto mode so I would not say much on that. Atleast in RCF, at full throttle in SPORT+/MANUAL mode (with full lock-up), it is lightning quick at full throttle. I am not expressing my subjective "feel" opinion but taking it from all of the graph data I have from got out of my Dragy GPS device, it consistently shifts so fast at full-throttle during my acceleration runs, it is literally a straight line climbing upwards with no registered disruption of power during shifts at least in how it is tuned for RCF. Dlsciaimer that the software tuning is different for different cars. For example, I felt a noticeable difference when I drove the IS500. Not sure what technically the differences are, though.

Last edited: