High Idle in the cold is annoying!

Reactions
Now that we are in the thick of winter here in Toronto, Canada I can't stand how high my IS350 idles until the engine gets warm. (which usually takes a good 10 minutes) I've actually let go of the brake and had the car drive from 13 to 15 km/hr without touching the gas! That's ridiculous and can be dangerous. If your foot slips off the brake the car will jump forward. You really need to press firmly on the brake. The only way to avoid this is to put it into Eco mode....that problem with that is I don't like the sluggish response.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Now that we are in the thick of winter here in Toronto, Canada I can't stand how high my IS350 idles until the engine gets warm. (which usually takes a good 10 minutes) I've actually let go of the brake and had the car drive from 13 to 15 km/hr without touching the gas! That's ridiculous and can be dangerous. If your foot slips off the brake the car will jump forward. You really need to press firmly on the brake. The only way to avoid this is to put it into Eco mode....that problem with that is I don't like the sluggish response.
All cars that I have driven do that.

Reactions
Not for more than 10 minutes! Of course, the initial idle is high when you first start the car and it is very cold, but once you begin to drive or even rev the engine a couple of times the idle usually begins to fall.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Not for more than 10 minutes! Of course, the initial idle is high when you first start the car and it is very cold, but once you begin to drive or even rev the engine a couple of times the idle usually begins to fall.

new emission laws testing in more realistic temps means they also have to heat cat too... what happens if you turn off a/c, do they fall or still stay high?

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
But it will longer your cars lifespan so think about that :). I have my car at underground parking so snow is not problem but if outside is -11 parking is -5 so I put my car on Webasto just to make it live longer.