Full Details on the Lexus UX Crossover Concept

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I believe UX stands for urban crossover...

I know some members thought it should have been called CX but Mazda has already claimed it but if you take the C in CX and turn it counter clockwise you get a U which now become the UX...
Yes I know but I meant why not LF-UX?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The UX Concept something special in person and amongst the most interesting things I saw. I cannot wait to see the production model, which I believe debuts next October in Tokyo and probably planned for the first half of 2018. It could be come even earlier than too! From the LF-NX in September 2013 to April 2014, it should up pretty quickly.

As we all must remember, unlike the LF-LC Concept, much of these other Lexus concepts are already backed up by halfway completed production developments. The beta NX design was fully approved in early 2012, in which at the end of 2012 the LF-NX project began.

The UX production model is long past frozen for production and this concept was probably developed parallel to the cubing process (design freezing) for the UX. As soon as the beta styling was reached for the UX, ED2 began work on this concept or after the design freeze was complete last year.

I wouldn't use "watered" or "toned down" for production to describe the relationship between the UX Concept and UX250 next year. It's really wrong tense, as just because we don't see what happens behind closed doors, doesn't mean it's not reality. We've seen how long it takes to put a concept car on the road, from the LF-LC debuting in January 2012 to the LC500 going on sale in April/May 2017. They turned up the volume on the UX Concept from the real McCoy, as against toning down the concept to an assumed to be unfinished production UX design. It's like humans putting on make up or prosthetics, then returning to your normal self when required to.

lexus designer gone mad even just by appearing this as concept
it's cutting edge . i still can't understand some lines from it rear especially

And all this is coming top-down from both the Toyoda heir and the guy who designed the radical Toyota Previa minivan precisely 30 years ago, Tokuo Fukuichi. It is any surprise this is what Fukuichi likes, despite being a man of 64/65 years? I'm sure Toyoda on his end, is tired of the stupid "boring" accusations and unlike senior personnel at Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha (TMC in English), might take it personally and react. Both brands have taken on these design directions as a result of his push, plus the influence and support of the CEO in Toyoda.
V5-311079823.jpg

Tokuo Fukuichi's Previa Clay model at CALTY in 1986-87.
at-calty-workers-measuring-full-size-clay-model-of-toyota-previa-van-picture-id50592511

Previa-05.jpg
Previa-01.jpg

263034_1.jpg

85.jpg
'
So what would be the gas engine in this? The class norm is a 200 HP turbo-four, but Toyota doesn't seem to have one, yet. The Toyota Camry is getting a redesign for next year, and will get a new turbo-four, so that may be the base for this. I would expect that to have 185--190 HP, and then get tuned up for Lexus service.
BD

I am sure you know that Toyota has filed trademarked for UX200, UX250, and UX250h since February 2016, so amongst those two you already have UX200 and UX250.

Stunning! I love the front's similarity to the LF-FC,and I do hope the rear-hinged passenger doors make it to production.

That is particularly what I noticed on Thursday and liked the most. I hate the rear of the concept, which is truly where Lexus has suffered the most in regards to their latest concepts and like the LF-FC, will most likely prefer the production rear. The front end is beautiful up-close, that photos really don't do it justice. As someone that is aligned with heralded British car design, even I like it (save for the rear).

Why is this called the UX Concept? I believe that this is the first time a Lexus Concept did not have and LF- in its name. I'm aware that this is a preview of a car that is already probably close to production state, but then why was the LF-NX still have the prefix when the NX was already designed at the time?

That's what I don't understand either. I think Lexus has noticed lately that a lot of idiots in the press, have screwed up the names between LF-LC and LF-FC. Much of late 2013 through spring 2014, they kept obtusely calling the production NX, LF-NX instead. They might be abandoning that LF prefix from here on out for the concept nomenclature. I didn't really ask why myself though.

NX beta design was already a CAD rendering by November of 2011, before being presented in full-size clay in January 2012 as proposal C for the AZ10 development programme, which began in June 2009 for the NX (trademarked in November 2012). You are very correct about the NX already being designed by then, as the design freeze was completed over 4 years ago.

Bold! Loving the depth in the paint - not a purple fan but I'm impressed with this color on this car. I hope some of the interior tech such as the new interface comes into production.

Glad to see the specs since we can safely say the UX will be based on the Toyota C-HR platform thanks to the identical wheelbase and very similar other dimensions. Not a bad thing at all seeing how much better the Lexus versions are over their Toyota counterparts.

Also to note, the "in-between" hatchback (54-55") and CUV (64-65") height of 59.8" and length of 173.8" is in direct competition to the GLA and QX30 which are arguably "raised" hatchbacks. As such, one can speculate the end of the CT and if one pays attention to the Lexus nomenclature of "Urban Xrossover" and the consistency in nomenclature the rest of the Lexus "X" lineup, this will be a cross-over-only model offering.

I'm not sure if you are forgetting that the QX30 in the United States is also sold (albeit cleverly) as a hatchback under the CUV nameplate QX30, instead of Q30. That is where the QX30 AWD comes in as the real QX30 sold here in Europe. I have compared QX30 examples at Manhattan, Atlanta, and two Texas Infiniti dealers to those at Infiniti Centre Birmingham back home in Britain. So the CT could be easily absorbed into the UX nameplate if need be, like Infiniti has done stateside.

I also think that, like the NX only sharing 10% with the RAV-4 and both using their own variants of the outgoing New MC platform, the UX is not really based on the C-HR platform per se. They both (will) use the TNGA architecture, but it does not mean they directly based the UX on the C-HR.

And yes, I like it ! I'm most impressed by the front, really sexy.
And I always think that a SUV/CUV with bigger wheels (19" or more) looks better ! Vossen has a job here.

But it's this now just a concept or is this more ? What I've read on www.autokopen.nl, just translated some part:
"This concept is a real concept model. You will perhaps look back parts on future production models, but the UX as a whole is not a new model, says Guido Roozekrans Toyota Netherlands."
Well, I don't believe him, this guy speaks for Toyota, not from Lexus :D
This is for Lexus the first concept car which has only 2 letters: UX. Why didn't they use something like: LF-NC, I don't know.
I think they are much closer to a production version than we all think. And to be honest, Lexus, please don't wait too long, the competition (read: BMW X2) is also very busy...

Please ignore him, like poor Mark Templin, he's been told peddle obfuscating lies in order to appease his bosses back in Japan. We heard this story 3 years ago with the LF-NX and look what happened. We will see something next year, unlike that of the LF-FC, which is understandable in being on a different scale and requiring much more time to develop. That was really Toyota's way of debuting the next LS in Japan first, without giving it all away too early (like the 2005 LF-Sh).

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
The X2 is an incredibly useless concept. Same proportions as an X1 but uglier. Everyone thought that it was going to look like the X6 and X4 but smaller because it is an X-Even Number model but it is just a messed up X1.

I don't believe that the X2 is an "incredibly useless concept", certainly not for Europe, believe me.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm not sure if you are forgetting that the QX30 in the United States is also sold (albeit cleverly) as a hatchback under the CUV nameplate QX30, instead of Q30. That is where the QX30 AWD comes in as the real QX30 sold here in Europe. I have compared QX30 examples at Manhattan, Atlanta, and two Texas Infiniti dealers to those at Infiniti Centre Birmingham back home in Britain. So the CT could be easily absorbed into the UX nameplate if need be, like Infiniti has done stateside.

First, love the Previa pics. To this day, the best looking minivan!

Whereas I'm well aware Infiniti has the "X" in the Q30 moniker for its lower hatchback-looking FWD variant in the US, my feeling is Lexus will maintain consistency and not confuse consumers by continuing to dedicate the "X" moniker as true crossover vehicles = height. I don't see Lexus dropping the car to hatchback heights and still calling it UX. We'll see!

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I don't believe that the X2 is an "incredibly useless concept", certainly not for Europe, believe me.
That's what the X1 is for. What would an X2 even compete with? The X1! It would make sense if it was a coupe CUV line the other even numbers in the lineup, but it isn't meaning that they would be in the exact same segment!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That's what the X1 is for. What would an X2 even compete with? The X1! It would make sense if it was a coupe CUV line the other even numbers in the lineup, but it isn't meaning that they would be in the exact same segment!

people love having choice... so X2 more sportier, X1 more useful. Nothing wrong in having options.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Please ignore him, like poor Mark Templin, he's been told peddle obfuscating lies in order to appease his bosses back in Japan. We heard this story 3 years ago with the LF-NX and look what happened. We will see something next year, unlike that of the LF-FC, which is understandable in being on a different scale and requiring much more time to develop. That was really Toyota's way of debuting the next LS in Japan first, without giving it all away too early (like the 2005 LF-Sh).

Well, he has to sell CT and NX until this comes out... might be sooner than 2018 too since C-HR is in production now.

Reading few interviews with Toyota Europe in C-HR, it is first model fully developed under Toyoda's helm... same would go for LC i guess at Lexus. And we can see it in details in both C-HR and LC.

C-HR is positioned as vehicles for singles, and partners without kids. Hence it is more about style and less about usual Toyota obsessions such as usability. Since it is based on new midsize platform, it is actually pretty comfy inside, as basically Rav4 will be built on same platform. It just has smaller trunk.

Pricing is reasonable in Europe (similar to Qashqai) and it is probably first real premium Toyota in Europe... so now they can really back that "premium" mindset they have, with a vehicle. It will likely sell like crazy, despite not having a diesel.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions

There's competition for the X2, that's the Merc GLA. It's not a SUV, not a CUV, it's something... different. I'm also surprised that the GLA is so successful, at least in my region. And besides this: why should there be competition before launching something new ? Look at the X6, from some years ago, that was also something different. Lexus will probably never have so many derivatives, but with the UX they could have... something different.

Reactions
If a Banshee and a Warthog had a baby, this would be it. (I actually really love this concept...hope the edgy futurism of the interior in particular translates into production)

Reactions
C&D said that the large front doors may signal that Lexus may build a two-door to compete with the RR Evoque lol.
And they said that the UX will compete with the X1, GLA-Class, and Q3. So where do they say that the NX belongs? Has Car and Driver finally come to their senses that the NX doesn't compete with these cars and competes one class above?
The NX is very odd in size, bigger than an X1/Q3, smaller than an X3/Q5/RDX. For some people, it's just right. The UX seems more in line with the X1/Q3, allows the NX to grow in size the next generation.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The NX is very odd in size, bigger than an X1/Q3, smaller than an X3/Q5/RDX. For some people, it's just right. The UX seems more in line with the X1/Q3, allows the NX to grow in size the next generation.
Yes, I have mentioned this before, both the RX and NX are what I like to call tweeners because they are in between classes in terms of size. NX is between GLA/X1/Q3 size and GLC/X3/Q5 size. RX is between GLC/X3/Q5 size and GLE/X5/Cayenne size. C/D likes to put the RX and NX in the lower class because
1. They like to pick on Lexus and other Japanese Luxury Brands
2. Pricing is more similar to the lower class

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
There's competition for the X2, that's the Merc GLA. It's not a SUV, not a CUV, it's something... different. I'm also surprised that the GLA is so successful, at least in my region. And besides this: why should there be competition before launching something new ? Look at the X6, from some years ago, that was also something different. Lexus will probably never have so many derivatives, but with the UX they could have... something different.
I'm sorry but isn't the X1, GLA, Q3 and UX in the same segment? The X2 has the same proportions maybe a little bit sportier but that's why BMW has different engine options and M Sport. The X2 should have been a coupe version of the X1 much like the relationship between the X3 and X4 and X5 and X6 for the SUV lineup naming to make sense.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I really like how rugged the rear, rear 3/4, side profile, and the wheel/tires look. As a whole though, the concept is too radical for me. Curious what the production vehicle will look like in this case.