Four Lexus Models Awarded Top Safety Pick + from IIHS

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by krew, Dec 10, 2015.

1. krew
    krew Administrator
    krew [​IMG]

View the original article post

2. corradoMR2
    corradoMR2 Founding Member
    Surprising to see the overwhelming majority of top safety vehicles are Japanese, then German/Korean/Swedish, and distant last is American.

Also a big surprise and really an incredible feat is the CT considering it's long-in-the-tooth 2011 bones. MY' 2017 will be even better!

CIF likes this.
  3. De Faulk
    I was thinking the same: The CT is the actual revelation of this tournament

CIF and corradoMR2 like this.
  4. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the RC is the safest coupe ever tested by the IIHS.

CIF likes this.
  5. mmcartalk

To some extent, probably not surprising.....as it is also one of the newest coupes tested, and can take advantage of state-of-the-art technology.

6. meth.ix
    Does this mean the RC F also get the award?

7. mmcartalk
    I don't see any significant reason why it wouldn't. Despite differences in the drivetrain and suspension/tires, it has the same basic things that matter most in a crash as the regular coupe does....unibody structure, crumple-zones, interior design, safety features/air-bags, window-fittings, belt-shoulder harnesses, etc.... With a larger engine in the F, the engine itself might (?) be pushed back a little more into the firewall in a head-on crash, but (probably) not enough to make a significant difference in the safety-ratings.

8. corradoMR2
    corradoMR2 Founding Member

Here's where the added weight from the reinforced structure built atop the GS's front, ISC's core, and IS's rear is paying dividends. :)

CIF and IS-SV like this.