Ford introduces all-electric Lightning F-150

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
You know this is good when Electrek (which is basically ground zero for Tesla shilling) writes that they're trying to talk the wife into letting them buy one.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
At least it doesn't look like a half-squashed pyramid LOL.

Tesla Cybertruck delayed? Rumours of 2022 arrival: price, specs and release  date | carwow

Levi

Expert
Reactions
frunk is great. but realistically, both BEV and ICE have to coexist for the foreseeable future, until BEV get game changing infrastructure/battery tech or FCEV is viable.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Good truck
I know it's the king of the ranch but I prefer Ram style or Toyota Lego yet durable built of it

mikeavelli

Reactions
Legit one of the first times I want a truck. An electric truck makes total sense and the frunk makes me moist for whatever reasons.
Price and range are solid. Great work Ford!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
truck looks great. As usual, problem with anything non-tesla might be charging network and real life range, but otherwise Ford is hitting home runs with their EV efforts, just need to deliver them now.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
People will realize how impractical electric pick-up trucks are once they see the real world range towing a trailer on highway and the excruciatingly slow charging.

That being said, this looks like the most well-implemented electric truck out there. Doesn't try to intentionally stand out. Solid but not unrealistic specs. Good feature set. And most importantly an extremely competitive pricing (that guarantees this product will be sold at a loss). I expect the F-150 Lightning to be a sales success. It's always nice to see a company willing to accept potential losses for technical innovation and preemptively taking market share compared to a certain car company (cough cough) that must make a profit on everything.

P.S. For those looking to buy one: note that to get to the cost target of 110kWh in a $40k truck, Ford is using a VERY unproven NCM 9.5.5 chemistry that even Tesla considered to be too risky. This chemistry is barely 2 years old. It remains to be seen how reliable and safe this battery chemistry is. Ford is making a very big bet and if it works will provide them a big head start over the competition, or a PR disaster if it doesn't. The industry is just starting wide adoption of NCM 811 late last year, which took two years of multiple battery failures and fires to finally mature and is still undergoing refinement.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
People will realize how impractical electric pick-up trucks are once they see the real world range towing a trailer on highway and the excruciatingly slow charging.
you know how that works - most people dont tow anything with their trucks.