First post, Question about Lexus LS 400/430

Reactions
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I will be looking around for a new (used) car soon. I've always had my eye on the LS models, and in my small budget, I think it would have to be in the 400/430 models. I wanted to know how reliable an older car can be? Also, how do these cars handle in snow? We get a good amount here. I've driven rwd car before, does it handle well with dedicated winter tires? Thanks fab

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Welcome! The LS430 (3rd-generation) is still popular, as it's the plushest-riding Lexus to date (the current LS460 has a slightly sportier suspension, even on base models). Well-maintained Lexus vehicles can be quite reliable; it's not uncommon for them to go well into 6 digits on the odometer (Google for "million mile Lexus"), but of course you should always have a good mechanic check out any used car you want to buy.

Regarding snow, I can't speak for how they do with snow tires, but I can say that an RWD LS with all-season tires can be a handful in the snow (I would assume snow tires would improve that situation). I traded in my RWD LS for an AWD when I moved from Orlando to Baltimore; the AWD drives like a champ in the snow, even with all-seasons.

Reactions
Hi Ian, thanks for the post. In our province (Quebec) it is mandatory to have dedicated winter (snowflake logo..not m+s) tires. Do most LS's come with like a limited slip diff? Had that on an older big rwd car I had... with blizaks it was a tank in the snow. Thanks fab

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Regarding snow, I can't speak for how they do with snow tires, but I can say that an RWD LS with all-season tires can be a handful in the snow (I would assume snow tires would improve that situation). I traded in my RWD LS for an AWD when I moved from Orlando to Baltimore; the AWD drives like a champ in the snow, even with all-seasons.

I'm with you, Ian. AWD, especially the superb system I had in my former Outback (which laughed at just about anything nature could send it), does just fine in snow with all-seasons. With AWD, I see no need to get Blizzaks.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't know what kind of diff the LS has off the top of my head. I know we have some members who are or were Lexus service techs, maybe one of them can talk about that?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I don't know what kind of diff the LS has off the top of my head.

Are you referring to the question of Limited-slip vs. open differentials? LSDs tend to be (but not exclusively) on high-performance cars and those designed for winter traction. My 2006 Outback, for example, had a very effective LSD in back, but Subaru, since then, changed the set-up of their AWD systems to emphasize electronic torque-distribution.