internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
20-11-12-lexus-ux-reviews-hero.jpg

European automotive outlets have driven the Lexus UX 300e, the first full-electric offering from our favorite Japanese luxury brand. Reviews are a mixed bag, let’s start off with a positive look from Top Gear:

A solid effort at a full pure electric vehicle from Lexus. It’s quiet, efficient enough, makes good use of the advantages of the drivetrain and is a relaxing car to drive. There’s not a huge amount of surprise and delight – it feels like ‘just’ an electric UX, and you wonder what Lexus might be able to do with a bespoke EV platform given the opportunity. Which it likely will have in the not-too-distant future.
Interestingly, Lexuses have always suited slick and quiet motivation, so the application of electric feels entirely in-keeping with the brand – it feels very natural to be piloting a Lexus BEV...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Lexus has confirmed today, in an announcement corresponding with the Tokyo auto show, that it will introduce its first production-bound electric car very soon—in November 2019.

Although Lexus said little more about that actual EV, it’s suspected to be what Lexus chief Koji Sato had previously described as a “tall, boxy hatchback.”

That could refer to the long-awaited possibility of a fully electric UX crossover. In a further hint that it’s more of an urban-oriented model like the UX, Lexus says that the new EV will be “broadening its response to the needs of various regions around the world.”

I'm guessing just a press release in November? Or are there any events/motor shows?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'm guessing just a press release in November? Or are there any events/motor shows?

Guangzhou Motor Show in November maybe? That's where they will officially launch the C-HR EV with full specs and pricing Info.

This segment (subcompact SUV with 400km-class range) seems to be the sweet spot and a fighting ground for any new comer. Audi and Mazda just embarrassed themselves by using puny batteries with insufficient range. Nissan Ariya, Honda X-NV, and Toyota C-HR EV look pretty close. I'd say Hyundai still has the strongest offering with the Kona/Encino EV with its slight range advantage (it did just blow up a house not long ago though)

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Guangzhou Motor Show in November maybe? That's where they will officially launch the C-HR EV with full specs and pricing Info.
Both Guangzhou and Los Angeles auto shows are in November. So either (or both) are possibilities. I'm leaning Guangzhou, though, for a couple of reasons. First, there is still no U.S. trademark for UX 300e, and this passage from the Lexus Global Newsroom LF-30 Electrified concept press release:

To advance this goal, Lexus plans to unveil its first BEV in November 2019―broadening our response to the needs of various regions around the world, including the development of HEVs, PHEVs, BEVs, and FCEVs.

probably hints more at Chinese rules and initiatives than U.S. zero emissions initiatives now in a state of flux.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-10-30-lexus-ux-ev-crossover.jpg

Lexus has confirmed to Carsales Australia that their first pure-electric vehicle will be based on a current model, clearing the way for the much-rumored UX EV crossover.
Lexus Australia CEO Scott Thomson was cagey on details, but did reveal that a more complete timeline will be announced in November:

“In November, Lexus will announce the rollout plans and clear model delineation,” said Thompson when probed on details of the surprise new Lexus EV.
“But we can’t give any more specifics. They want to make the big announcement in November and [you’ll get] some timing around PHEV as well,” he said, confirming reports that Lexus will have its first plug-in hybrid vehicle online as soon as 2021.
“You’ll get a good...

Continue reading...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

That last sentence is the most interesting. 2022 is when they launch their second BEV. What could it be? LS? IS? Or that rumored FWD HS successor designed for ChDM?

2022 will also see the first E-TNGA vehicle go into production in ChDM. However I doubt Lexus will get its first E-TNGA in the same year given the 'Toyota first' theme.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if companies offering up solid EV platforms will also result in a rebirth of the coachbuilding industry.
The idea of a company offering you it's platform + a premade body, or you can go to a coachbuilder for something more unique at a cost, would be interesting.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Well... It's already the 7th... We're still waiting Lexus : )

We'll be waiting til month-end, probably. LA Autoshow runs Nov 22 to Dec 1, and I can't think of another larger venue in November for an announcement like this, but i'm no expert.

EDIT:

Toyota RAV4 PHEV, so some info is starting to drip out ahead of the show.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I know the Rivian pickup's and SUV's interior and exterior don't look as nice as a Lexus (or even some Toyota's for the matter) and even the Honda E looks cuter but I only found out while watching this video that both will come with four motors and 6:30-7 mins into the video, Rivian representative talks about the appeal of the electric torque vectoring and also negative torque.

So if Rivian can offer these vehicles for around $70k USD, why can't Lexus provide a three motor BEV for a little less? Rivian touts itself as the first mass market BEV maker offering four electric motors. :)

shizhi

Follower
Reactions

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
North America likely after China and Europe.

The Japanese press release adds that Lexus' approach to electrification will be very selective:

"Starting with this model, we will expand the lineup of electric vehicles at the right place according to the needs of various parts of the world and the infrastructure environment, mainly in China and Europe."

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-11-11-lexus-electric-vehicle-china.jpg

Lexus will debut their first electric vehicle at the Guangzhou International Automobile Exhibition in China. From the press release:

Specifically crafted to suit the needs of audiences in China and Europe, this further advances the brand’s desire to offer a portfolio of electrified powertrain choices for diverse audiences worldwide.

Using the teaser image above as a guide, it appears an electrified version of the UX crossover is on the way — as a comparison:
19-11-11-lexus-ux-hybrid-badge.jpg

It appears the new electric vehicle will initially be limited to the Chinese & European market — most telling is that the Lexus USA pressroom has no mention of the upcoming debut. This runs counter to a recent quote from Lexus president Yoshihiro Sawa saying the model would be available in...

Continue reading...

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
As a 30 year Lexus employee and an EV enthusiast I’ve been wAiting for a Lexus EV for 10 plus years. Very hopeful at first when I saw the press release and this story , but now....... looks like China and Europe only and if it’s a UX very limited battery capacity , I would guess 33 to 40 kWh Max and Front wheel drive.🙄
I hope I am wrong. Here is the thing isn’t there already a Toyota CHR electric sold in China ? And if Lexus goes through all the trouble to build an electric UX why not offer it in the USA.