Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's look like the NX will get the treatment first, just like the RAV4?

Just to be clear, I think you are referencing the PRIME powertrain coming to the NX as "NX 450h+" which as far as we know, is completely different from the E-Axle concept. Am I right?

NX 450h+ could potentially have the E-Axle... but we don't know that yet.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Just to be clear, I think you are referencing the PRIME powertrain coming to the NX as "NX 450h+" which as far as we know, is completely different from the E-Axle concept. Am I right?

I was hoping the h+ means E-Axle exclusively though maybe that will require the h++ designation.

Maybe it will have torque vectoring in its final form.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

According to Australian sources E-Axle will be ready in 2022. Yeah I know that sounds like forever (facepalm). It will probably launch with ES facelift instead of on the NX.

The prototype they showed in late 2019 had overheating problems that's the main hurdle to production. The thing is the prototype rear axle is not the 'final form' and Lexus expect the production version to have a LOT more torque. So this is another example of Lexus setting the target too high instead of having a product ready for sale as quickly as possible.

I was hoping the h+ means E-Axle exclusively though maybe that will require the h++ designation.

Maybe it will have torque vectoring in its final form.
Or E-Axle could be a 'F-sport' option of h+ models while regular h+ gets E-Four.

The E-Axle is a torque vectoring design. It just doesn't shift torque in the transverse direction (left to right) but in the longitudinal direction (front to back). The former works better on RWD-based systems while the latter works better on FWD-based systems.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I may actually go for a Lexus PHEV if it's really that good. Too bad it hasn't caught up with Acura's Sport Hybrid design with torque vectoring. Only on the NSX is the torque vectoring on the front axle. Honda quitting F1 in 2021 to focus on electrification.

Waiting for a Lexus BEV with SSB and rear axle torque vectoring may take my lifetime haha.

Will1991

Reactions
So, the first implementation of the eAxle is... The UX300e!

2020111301.jpg

"The Aisin Group's electric drive module "eAxle" has been adopted for the LEXUS UX300e, the first commercial electric vehicle of the brand.

The "eAxle" is a lightweight and compact permanent magnet type synchronous motor dedicated for EV, boasting both high output and high efficiency. Its weight is about half that of a conventional engine with almost the same output.

Based on the technology and know-how cultivated in transmission development, the Aisin Group has proposed a wide variety of hybrid transmissions and electric drive units that support the electrification of vehicles, such as "eAxle." The company will continue to pursue the development of new products and technologies that support the electrification of automobiles and contribute to the realization of a sustainable global environment."

This clearly shows how modular Toyota is getting!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So is the 2B the one that power the lexus 4 wheel motor system?

As 80 KW per wheel for total 320 KW which is around 429 hp ?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota going the Porsche way to include a two-speed reduction gear for high performance. Very smart move! The lack of power and torque rating is interesting. Previously they claimed up to 300kW in E-AWD with 150kW front and rear. But not showing the power rating makes me feel they are not content with 'only' 300kW for their flagship BEV and is planning to be more powerful to keep up with competition. The new target might be 350-400kW.

I think the two 'single motor hybrid transmission' are for their trucks. The medium will be paired with the A25A as an entry-level hybrid option for say the Prado and Tacoma. The high might be paired with 3.5 or 2.4T as a high-end option for these two and entry-level for Land Cruiser/Tundra.

So is the 2B the one that power the lexus 4 wheel motor system?

As 80 KW per wheel for total 320 KW which is around 429 hp ?
No, E-Axle means the whole axle is one motor, not IWM.

2B is the rear motor for AWD models with 160KW output (1+2B).

2A+2B would make a 230KW system which sounds about right for the RZ450e.

Last edited:

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
@Will1991, where did you get above images?
blue nexus…

Will1991

Reactions
E-Axle applications will be called Direct4:

800_lexuskenshikidecember2020hevandbevprototypes2.jpg

Source: https://newsroom.lexus.eu/lexus-reveals-direct4-next-generation-electric-drive-control-technology/

800_lexuskenshikidecember2020eaxlevisual2.jpg

And at the end of the available video, they talk about a yet to be seen concept to be revealed in the first quarter of 2021:

image.png

image.png

And this doesn't seem to be the BEV development vehicle above, the proportions aren't the same....

800_lexuskenshikidecember2020teaser.jpg

Are we looking at the RZ450e? Some sort of a crossover between a sedan/shooting brake?

Also worthy of note, there is this image that show up a few times:

image.png

It does look like the LF-1, maybe a production version is near?

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The black vehicle in the video does not look at all like the LF-1 to me. And keep in mind it's a concept - if Lexus shows another concept of the LF-1 three years after the first concept with still no production model... not good AT ALL.

The prototype CUV on the track video is shaped like a GMC Terrain... I'm a little surprised to see something so squared off from Lexus.

Technology is awesome, and that demo was very telling. 80/20 RWD/FWD split... and still AWD... yes please!

mikeavelli

Reactions
About time Lexus makes its own version of the Acura Sport Hybrid SH-AWD, which made its debut in 2013 on the RLX Sport Hybrid. Hopefully Lexus will see it fit to apply the technology to the front wheels of Lexus' RWD cars as well (a la the NSX even though the layout is different).
This has zero to do with that system. That system continues to get dumbed down and this is an all new system.

They have nothing in common.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The new SH-AWD with RWD bias in the TLX Type-S is probably the best on-road traction/performance/efficiency AWD system out there right now, and better than Quattro. It is a world class system and one of the few things Acura has done right in the last decade or two.

Direct 4 seems a step better thanks to both electrification and the general flexibility, but we still need more info on how it engages, active torque splitting, etc.