European Sales: Lexus Outsells Porsche in January

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I want to remind that the sales figures is sales in EU and EFTA nations.
Russian sales were as following:
Lexus 1026 -14.2%
Porsche 246 +57.7%

Reactions
Nice but not the reality. Porsche has nearly no offering due to the change from NEDC to WLTP. Same with Audi, they have started too late with obtaining the new fuel consumption and CO certificates, therefore they currently offer only one or two engines throughout their product range in EU. As soon as they get all WLTP certificates and sales restart, Lexus will be down again...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Umm guys I feel like maybe a little too personal and aggressive on some of these posts...remember we are one family here on LE!

Agree. I've edited posts by @arrow1982 & @flexus. Remember everyone, cars not politics.

I mean lets be honest, Lexus should outsell Porsche, even in Europe, due to volume, sales targets and entry level offerings.

True enough, but it feels significant for Lexus to outsell any European brand in Europe.

Reactions
"Europe" sales numbers of TMC include Russia and Turkey. There they sell great. In western Europe, the only part of the world called "Europe" (not Russia for F.... sake) Lexus doesn't do so great. And anything especially designed for Europe will hardly make any impact (like the CT).

Edit from @krew: Cars, not politics.

Lexus sold less than 100 cars last year in Turkey. However, models like C-HR and Corolla sell a lot since they are manufactured in Turkey. Lexus really is following a wrong strategy over here. They market themselves as they were a tier above the german 3, but the marketing is not supported by the products so they aren’t really getting anywhere.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I still like their cars, the CUVs/SUVs are another story...probably why they seem 'feminine'

That's definitely true, but I also think the new 911 looks a little too Beetle-esque in the front. There's always been a fine line between Ferdinand's two halves, but up until now they've done a reasonable job keeping them visually separate in spite of the common heritage.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus sold less than 100 cars last year in Turkey. However, models like C-HR and Corolla sell a lot since they are manufactured in Turkey. Lexus really is following a wrong strategy over here. They market themselves as they were a tier above the german 3, but the marketing is not supported by the products so they aren’t really getting anywhere.

Appreciate the insight!

mikeavelli

Reactions
With Infiniti dropping out of Western Europe it will help Lexus a bit with sales but continue to hurt with the image of Japanese luxury. With Acura non existen and Honda struggling its just Lexus/Toyota.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honda made by NA market mentality maybe only civic is out of Honda formula

Acura it's clear non European in its current lineup

Nissan down with reliability = down with sales

Infiniti became Benz puppet it's quit for them forever in this market

Isuzu still have the d-max

Suzuki with the Ciaz, Swift and the new jimny, it's a return and good one

Mazda, only Miata and 3 is the future with the CX30 also as amazing future proof

Subaru is a dream for German and Scandinavian markets and will always be there

Toyota became fresh with the TNGA, wait for the charts going upward

Lexus keep increasing and still have the next IS, NX & RX with their next gen TNGA based platform

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
With Infiniti dropping out of Western Europe it will help Lexus a bit with sales but continue to hurt with the image of Japanese luxury. With Acura non existen and Honda struggling its just Lexus/Toyota.
I think Acura is only available in Ukraine. They exited Russian market in 2014. Nearest market to Europe is Kuwait.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Acura is just the old European honda
So even if Acura are out they still in with different names