European Sales: Lexus Outsells Porsche in January

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
this is without UX and ES, ES started arriving slowly in some countries in early Feb, but not all... and UX not yet.

Porsche - drop is due to diesels being gone, and their sales down 50%... who the heck would buy petrol powered heavy SUVs in Europe like what Porsche sells? Crazy.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Nice... Nissan didn't break out Infiniti numbers...

I had no idea Skoda sold that many vehicles....wow..

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
It sold less than Jaguar if you want to spin it the other way ;)

I'm not sure ES will make a den't in sales, their pricing strategy is really disappointing. It kept GS prices pretty much. It starts's 10K more than IS and packaging is all weird. Basically you are looking at 55+ for nicely equipped ES in Germany which was GS450h territory. Maybe spwolf remembers, how much did the luxury GS450h retail for in Germany?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

I'm not sure ES will make a den't in sales, their pricing strategy is really disappointing. It kept GS prices pretty much. It starts's 10K more than IS and packaging is all weird. Basically you are looking at 55+ for nicely equipped ES in Germany which was GS450h territory. Maybe spwolf remembers, how much did the luxury GS450h retail for in Germany?

Standard price was way, way more for gs450h.

But sure, I wish it was a lot cheaper

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Standard price was way, way more for gs450h.

But sure, I wish it was a lot cheaper

Anyway ES interior color options for Europe are insane, really hard to choose from.

Spwolf don't want to hijack the thread but is this for real? GS F-sport with tan leather?

$_57.jpg

flexus

Admirer
Reactions

It depends on country. In Finland difference between IS and ES is 7k but in Sweden it's 5k. Also here the ES is 49k so it's priced same as E, 5 or A6. Keeping in mind that ES300H offers more power and better fuel economy than entry level diesel and gasoline. Also ES is very good car for corporates. I think also that ES is "cheap", but maybe because Lexus is regarded as more premium than German 3 in nordic countries.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It depends on country. In Finland difference between IS and ES is 7k but in Sweden it's 5k. Also here the ES is 49k so it's priced same as E, 5 or A6. Keeping in mind that ES300H offers more power and better fuel economy than entry level diesel and gasoline. Also ES is very good car for corporates. I think also that ES is "cheap", but maybe because Lexus is regarded as more premium than German 3 in nordic countries.

another thing to consider is that their Business models for instance are very well equipment for "base" price, you have to add a lot of equipment to germans to make them look like that.

At the same time, Germans discount a lot, but i think with these prices, lexus will be able to do so.

On the other hand, they could not compete with GS300h, its Business models didnt even have leather.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I've seen already Lexus ES on the road in Tampere and there's one in Lexus Tampere showroom. Lexus Kaivoksela (Helsinki) has big ES ad sign overlooking E12 motorway. Also, the Finnish media likes ES very much. It's considered a way luxurious than German competitors also because it's hybrid it's environmentally friendly, which is a big thing here in Nordics. Finland was one of the first European countries where Toyota exported vehicles. Since 1962 Toyota has a good reputation among Finns unlike dieselgate crap Audis or immediately breaking BMWs.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Anyway ES interior color options for Europe are insane, really hard to choose from.

Spwolf don't want to hijack the thread but is this for real? GS F-sport with tan leather?

$_57.jpg

forgot but sure... however keep in mind that facelifted GS450h F-Sports were over 70k, and are very, very rare sight... I was trying to find used 2 year olds but they are very expensive and there are only few of them in continental europe.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
forgot but sure... however keep in mind that facelifted GS450h F-Sports were over 70k, and are very, very rare sight... I was trying to find used 2 year olds but they are very expensive and there are only few of them in continental europe.
There are some crazy deals to be have on GS450h F-sports in Germany right now. I was very close to picking one up by the end of last year.

It is great to see Lexus doing well in Europe. However. The sales numbers are still way off compared to the 'locals'. Maybe ES & UX will finally be the breakthrough Lexus needs.

arrow1982

Fan
Reactions
"Europe" sales numbers of TMC include Russia and Turkey. There they sell great. In western Europe, the only part of the world called "Europe" (not Russia for F.... sake) Lexus doesn't do so great. And anything especially designed for Europe will hardly make any impact (like the CT).

Edit from @krew: Cars, not politics.

Last edited by a moderator:

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
"Europe" sales numbers of TMC include Russia and Turkey. There they sell great. In western Europe, the only part of the world called "Europe" (not Russia for F.... sake) Lexus doesn't do so great. And anything especially designed for Europe will hardly make any impact (like the CT).

By the way, they have to stop calling Russia part of Europe. Or did Trump ever mean Venezuela when he talks about "America"? Just because it is in South America??
Hello @arrow1982, I presume you are from US beacause you have a very narrow view of Europe. Europe has been historically very diverce in language, religion and culture. You say that Europe is western Europe. Well historically Europe was mediterranian including Turkey, Lebanon and Tunisia. In early medival times Europe was Italy and also Baltic sea and Rhine. From Medieval to Age of Discovery heart of Europe was eastern Europe. Only after second world war Europe's center moved to Benelux countries.

Russia is very much Europe. It has contributed very much to European culture and history. Without Russia there wouldn't be modern time Finland or France or Germany. From Russia comes Europe's greatest writers and composers.

Edit from @krew: Unnecessary and inflammatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
There are some crazy deals to be have on GS450h F-sports in Germany right now. I was very close to picking one up by the end of last year.

It is great to see Lexus doing well in Europe. However. The sales numbers are still way off compared to the 'locals'. Maybe ES & UX will finally be the breakthrough Lexus needs.

yeah, since it is going out and old... but facelift versions never sold much, and are very hard to find used.

As to the ES and UX sales, should brining it up over 100k. Which is pretty decent, anything over that will just take years and years of brand building.
What is important is that those numbers, together with new CT and IS, will make Lexus dealers sustainable business in Europe, which means Lexus will be easy to buy, service and sell.

As to Russia and Europe, 77% of Russians (110m people) live in what is considered "European" Russia (European continent).