End of CT200h

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
its spirit lives on with the UX.
Appealing in theory but let down by limited powertrain options and poor packaging?

I drove a CT200h when it first launched. I was pretty certain I was going to buy one. Sticking it with the 1.8L instead of the 2.5L was ding number one. Opening the trunk and seeing way less space than a Prius was ding number 2. Ended up with a Prius.

Similarly, the UX with the Corolla sedan wheelbase and the A25 under the hood is probably an instant buy for me. I'm OK with the M20 in my Corolla hatchback because it is a cheap car.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I just told my wife yesterday when I saw the article pop up in my Google Apps.

I like our '12 CT200h, bought from a friend two years ago. Instrument cluster definitely better than most Prius' central instrument cluster. It's reasonably powered even in Eco Mode, just have to depress the gas pedal more. Sure, it's slow but reaching 130 km/h isn't a problem though at today's gasoline prices, I'd stick with 105-110 haha.

Also, a little more legroom for rear passenger (barely though) compared to a Corolla hatchback if I was sitting in front.

I don't understand why Toyota can't optimize interior dimensions.

My '02 Civic was 1 inch narrower and only a few inches longer but interior legroom was so much better than the CT200h or the Corolla hatchback. I'm not even tall at 168 cm (and I don't have proportionately long legs) and it's already hard for me to be sitting behind myself.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
The CT was a great car for what it was. Too bad Lexus didn't bring in a 2CT and either and EV version or a plug-in version...

Japan will get to enjoy the special edition of the CT.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Lexus definitely messed up killing this car off.

I love driving my '12 CT200h whenever my daughter comes home from university. It doesn't handle as well as my '11 Accord coupe but it's pretty good cornering and at today's gasoline prices, is a real gem / money saver.

The head gasket and EGR stuff issues seem to be overinflated. I just checked coolant level and oil level this morning. They are both good and there have been no bad vibrations during cold starts in the morning. It's almost as if the same lemon 3rd gen Priuses and CT200h's are being sold over and over to unknowing buyers and complaints online on the same vehicles are snowballing.

I wish Lexus can bring back the CT200h hatch as a slightly bigger hatchback BEV. The cargo space is so small on the CT200h though the liftgate helps a lot. First hatchback for me but I can see the value proposition for these, even if I'm in North America.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
I love driving my '12 CT200h whenever my daughter comes home from university. It doesn't handle as well as my '11 Accord coupe but it's pretty good cornering and at today's gasoline prices, is a real gem / money saver.

The head gasket and EGR stuff issues seem to be overinflated. I just checked coolant level and oil level this morning there's both good and there have been no bad vibrations during cold starts in the morning. It's almost as if the same lemon 3rd gen Priuses and CT200h's are being sold over and over to unknowing buyers and complaints online on the same vehicles are snowballing.

I wish Lexus can bring back the CT200h hatch as a slightly bigger hatchback BEV. The cargo space is so small on the CT200h though the liftgate helps a lot. First hatchback for me but I can see the value proposition for these, even if I'm in North America.
Maybe launch a new one with the 2.4 turbo i4 and 2.5 hybrid

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Benz just take the smart way of killing the C segment in luxury marker

Lexus was the first with the CT , Benz and I am not thinking it will stop on those 2 makers

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Benz just take the smart way of killing the C segment in luxury marker

Lexus was the first with the CT , Benz and I am not thinking it will stop on those 2 makers
My family of four fits comfortably in a CT200h haha. I guess we're puny by North American standards.

Even with lower gasoline prices of the past, I usually hesitate to buy too big a car because of the poorer fuel economy.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

The head gasket and EGR stuff issues seem to be overinflated. I just checked coolant level and oil level this morning. They are both good and there have been no bad vibrations during cold starts in the morning. It's almost as if the same lemon 3rd gen Priuses and CT200h's are being sold over and over to unknowing buyers and complaints online on the same vehicles are snowballing.

The EGR/HG seems pretty prevalent though. I doubt its the same vehicles being resold to unsuspecting owners.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
The EGR/HG seems pretty prevalent though. I doubt its the same vehicles being resold to unsuspecting owners.

Maybe it is but a lot of posters about the issues are new posters on clublexus or CT200hforum. It's surprising they would only start posting about issues when they could have shares good/bad things years earlier. There aren't many threads about EGR and HG issues too (like 20 at most and most are one or two posts about it with no further development, even from the original poster) from the present dating back to 2015 which tell me it may not be as prevalent. Even carcomplaints don't have as many NHTSA issues reported.

2010 and 2011 Prius were notorious it seems so maybe my 2012 CT is spared but it wasn't until 2014 or 2015 MY that refinements/fixes were made. I had also just bought the HV battery intake vent filter because that only was standard on 2015 and newer. It's just like a hair mesh to put behind the removable vent opening.

I am the second owner and I have been a little more active on those forums, congratulating one whose CT hit 700k miles (but now need a HV battery replacement and HG issue, and thumbing up some of the helpful posts). I've checked the coolant and engine oil and they're good and no sign of leaking. If I have to pay for a replacement engine + HV battery at the same time, I will likely just scrap the CT but it's cooler here in Canada so the battery may last a few more years and it's only $3,000 in local money to replace.

Before acquiring my friend's CT, I had asked about the issues on some dedicated forums and I was advised to clean the EGR and buy some parts worth $500. I decided not do anything since I'm not that mechanically inclined though I do tire swaps and will learn about servicing brakes and even Ahmed of Car Care Nut suggested to do nothing if there are no telltale signs of EGR issues. Motor oil consistency looks normal to me, no vibrations during cold starts or when accelerating from standstill.

Also asked my friend if she had those crazy vibrations which she said she didn't.

This one listing for $8,888 could be one of those with issues. Nothing in the description talks about the car not having issues. Actually the dealer didn't bother providing a description of the car. All other CT's are listed at $16K and up haha.

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota addressed this issue with a TSB L-SB-0015-16, but I guess the reason its more apparent now is that almost of all of the effected vehicles in that TSB have exited warranty coverage.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Toyota addressed this issue with a TSB L-SB-0015-16, but I guess the reason its more apparent now is that almost of all of the effected vehicles in that TSB have exited warranty coverage.

The car was serviced at a Lexus dealership throughout until I bought it in early 2020. So maybe the TSB service was done. She's got no clue even with the trim of her car. It was base + sunroof and 17" wheels haha.

Overall nice car. Didn't know it drove so much better than Priuses lol (as per reviews) but handling is pretty good for a FWD Toyota with MacPherson struts but with double-wishbone rear suspension I believe. More nimble than our 11 Accord coupe but the Accord is definitely more stable and poised. Ride for passengers in the CT not that jarring either. Must even be worst on our '16 RAV4H.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Mercedes has the A35 hatchback which is a looker and the AMG brings in performance. Wish Lexus would have expanded the CT to include a more performance oriented variant.

View attachment 5870

The A Class hatchback looks good on the outside. Even the front looks better than some of the more expensive siblings.

What I can't tolerate is the 1) elongated display tacked on the dashboard on this A Class or 2) the dual display ala Tesla on other Mercedes vehicles. Even the Mach-E, Polestar and even BMW are doing that now but I don't find them classy.

The bZ4X center display looks more integrated with the dashboard so it's more appealing to me. Someone on Car and Driver is correct, Audi and Porsche breaking the displays into sections and at different angles make them look much better. I couldn't describe why they look more appealing but I guess that's the reason -- they are integrated into the dash and are broken into sections, like car interiors I am used to seeing.