Does torn engine dust cover need to be replaced?

Reactions
A few weeks ago I accidentally turned down what I thought was a side street and it was really railroad tracks. It was late and I obviously don't see well. I had a hard time getting over those railroad tracks and I was sure I had done some damage. What I did was tear the dust cover that is directly below the hood and the engine. Since. Now, When I drive on the freeway at higher speeds, it flaps back and forth really loudly and I have to do something about it. I've been told that the purpose of the so called 'dust cover' is simply to keep rocks and other debris out of the engine. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas and/or of any alternatives besides me having to buy a new one. I'd rather not have to purchase this thing. I'm wondering if it could be patched. I'm a retired teacher and money is an issue. The car is a Lexus RX350. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Teri

RAL

Reactions
Welcome @terilees
My wife is a retired teacher too! I empathize with you while I am thinking about all the times over the years when I've unwittingly damaged my car ... like the time I put the lawn mower in the car trunk to take for repair ... and ... wait for it ... forgot to push the garage door opener before backing out of the garage. Yep! ... I tore up the garage door, the lawn mower, and the car! Oh the pain!

Now as to your situation: Drawing on my own experience with maintaining cars; for years I tried to save money by avoiding what I thought was unnecessary general maintenance and/or repairs. And it took many frustrating expensive episodes to finally learn in the long run I always come out ahead in every regard by servicing my car as prescribed by the manufacturer at the brand dealer. And I found this to be especially true with our Lexus vehicles.

For example: The air conditioner fan in my ES started making a slight vibration noise. I hesitated to get it repaired. It still worked, but I would have to tolerate the irritation of the noise. I just assumed a new fan would have to be installed, which with parts and labor could be quite expensive. I decided to inquire about a repair when I took the car into our Lexus dealer for regular maintenance. Well ... to my surprise ... the vibration noise was repaired for $20!

Not knowing where you live, I can't speak for the reputation of the Lexus dealer who would service your car. But I would be willing to bet that dealer would be your best bet. It is my hunch the function of this 'dust cover' is more important than the name implies. If I were you, I would not risk a make-shift repair by a garage mechanic who is not familiar with the RX 350.

Bottom line: I would recommend you take your RX to a Lexus dealer. Maybe one of our enthusiasts can offer you more specific advise. Regardless, I wish you well. Let us know how things work out ...

Last edited:
Reactions
RAL,
Thanks for the advice! I feel like I received a message from my favorite brother, Jimmy. Although deceased now, Jimmy was always there for me with sound, logical advise. He was usually right on too.

You're advice is right on as well. I love my RX350 and she has been good to me. I feel like I've taken care of that car so why stop now. My car drives like it is new with over 100,000 miles on it. That 'dust cover' is obviously there for a reason. It is placed right below the engine. If I don't get it fixed properly a rock or worse could fly up into the engine and then who knows what could happen. I'll ask around about the Lexus Dealers in this area. I'm not familiar with the ones in this part of California.

Hey thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it and your stories of mishaps, etc. were super funny.