Discussion: The Updated 2019 Lexus RC Coupe

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Not a fan of neither headlights or taillights. I don't think they flow right like the previous. That V drl strip is at some weird angle that doesn't stack right with angle of LED clusters. Bottom addition to tails is very unnecessary and looks like an afterthought in design process, kind of like we are going to make these trendy, smooth and skinny taillights.. oh damn it we forgot to add turn signal light!

i thought old rear lights looked too much like Toyota.

Reactions: Joe

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
so the car is 5 years old and all we get cosmetically is slightly changed headlights/tail lights and a few new colors. was expecting more radical change considering its called Radical Coupe. this isnt very radical at all. looks like its going to be another ten year car without much change during its lifespan. love the RC but im sick of seeing 2015 when i look at it. how about a longer wider lower profile? how about some razor sharp body sculpting? how about a unique dashboard that isnt a hand-me-down from the IS? i am less then disappointed. epic fail.

The only epic fail is your expectation of an overhauled dashboard, changed profile, and changed body sculpting in MID-CYCLE refresh. Those things have NEVER been seen in any mid-cycle refresh of any model from any company. (Okay, maybe some exceptions like the Mazda6 with its revamped interior)

Yes, this refresh is arriving a year later than it should have and we can fault Lexus for their product planning and relatively long model cycles. But to expect things like a changed body stance and profile requires a completely NEW model. Let’s be reasonable here.

To me, this new RC looks so much better than the old one. They cleaned up the lines and made the front, the grille, and the rear much more fit for a mid-range luxury coupe. The interior is still mediocre compared to its competitors, but I realize that’s not going to change much in a refresh.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I am really eager to see how they change the RCF and what improvements they bring mechanically. I have heard rumors that horsepower will go up to 480 HP with the 10 speed gearbox and there will be a track version called the RCF GT. Hope they reveal it with the RC in Paris (probably, will not happen till Detroit Show).

Also, really want to see how it compares stylistically to my RCF Carbon Fiber with the updated design language.

dsc_0506_a6685b391048b4369f31f98eff98596a91396138.jpg

rcf_outdoor_2_b9f0a9e88cbe76fedafcc937f7a40a52b1c5143e.jpg

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
The only epic fail is your expectation of an overhauled dashboard, changed profile, and changed body sculpting in MID-CYCLE refresh. Those things have NEVER been seen in any mid-cycle refresh of any model from any company. (Okay, maybe some exceptions like the Mazda6 with its revamped interior)

Yes, this refresh is arriving a year later than it should have and we can fault Lexus for their product planning and relatively long model cycles. But to expect things like a changed body stance and profile requires a completely NEW model. Let’s be reasonable here.

To me, this new RC looks so much better than the old one. They cleaned up the lines and made the front, the grille, and the rear much more fit for a mid-range luxury coupe. The interior is still mediocre compared to its competitors, but I realize that’s not going to change much in a refresh.

Infiniti added 3 engines to its Q50/60 refresh. The RC really lags with nothing to compete with their 400hp version. Lexus has got to step it up with powertrains they are seriously lagging here.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
I love the back.. I think it resembles the FT-1 concept for the supra MKIV and the original GT86 (FT86) concept especially in red. I just wish they have the RCF or F sport in Red with the butterscotch (I forgot the lexus name for it lol) interior.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
No offense intended, but I'm on my first cup of coffee and thought "wow, that's a nice looking 86. Oh..."

Other than a similarity of the trunk lid integrated spoiler/bulge, there is really not much in common design language wise. Most of the people who come up to me to talk about it, don't know what it is (I am totally fine with that).

Last edited:

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Overall good improvement -however the dashboard really needs an upgrade. Too much plastic in sight would like them to look at an Audi interior and get some pointers on luxury finishes and detailing it lacks European appeal in the inside finishes.
The exterior colors also seem hectic - think they are trying too hard and becoming blingish in the process.
However I am a Lexus fan and hope it does well.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Overall good improvement -however the dashboard really needs an upgrade. Too much plastic in sight would like them to look at an Audi interior and get some pointers on luxury finishes and detailing it lacks European appeal in the inside finishes.
The exterior colors also seem hectic - think they are trying too hard and becoming blingish in the process.
However I am a Lexus fan and hope it does well.

Never understood this argument, there is no shortage of plastic in the A4. And what exactly is Europeal appeal and why does Lexus need to copy it?

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus has got to step it up with powertrains they are seriously lagging here.
In Europe, the RC could benefit from a 345 hp 450h powertrain, as the GS is gone now and replaced with ES 300h... Too bad that they don't want to put the necessary Euro6d engineering resources in such a specific version that would allow to build brand awareness as a more affordable LC (and not necessarily sales volume).

LexiF

Fan
Reactions
I really want to like it! The rear lights look good but the headlights I really don’t like. Maybe it will grow on me and others or hopefully the 2nd gen RC will be out sooner then that! I think if it had a more IS type of refresh would have looked really nice as I love the much more aggressive look anyway I still have high hopes for the RC!