D.C. Auto Show January 24-February 2, 2020

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
visitors-at-washington-auto-show-overview_credit-washington-auto-show.jpg

Just a reminder, for those in the D.C. / MD / VA area, that the Washington, D.C. Auto Show starts January 24 at the Washington Convention Center, on the Metro Subway Green and Yellow Lines. (I strongly recommend the subway, unless you live in D.C. close to the center). Remember, you can (usually) get a couple of free tickets for the show at any local D.C. area new-vehicle dealership, although they usually don't reach the dealerships until a week or so before the show starts (sometimes later). This is because, unlike most major auto shows, the D.C. show is dealer-sponsored, not necessarily manufacturer-sponsored.

I've included the show's web-site and floor plan this year. Looks like Cadillac is coming back to the show...they skipped last year (and maybe the year before that....don't quite remember). Porsche and Mercedes are skipping it again this year.....but sometimes they even skip Detroit. Mitsubishi is not there, either, but that may be understandable, given their small size....although they did open up a new dealership last summer, not far from D.C. I note that Genesis still has a very small amount of floor space, so we'll have to see if they bring the GV80 (I sure hope so....been waiting to see it).

I'll be there at least a couple of days on my own, doing my own viewing, and probably a day or so with my brother's girl-friend, as it's getting time for her to start looking at something new (or newer). I can't spend a full day there (8 hours or more) because of my weak knees and lower back (just three or four hours at a stretch, with some seat-breaks), which, along with the free tickets, is why I go several times each year. (I'd buy my own tickets if I had to, however....I'm not THAT cheap LOL).
biggrin.gif

I also like the D.C. show because Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Subaru (and sometimes Ford), for certain of their vehicles, have test-drive loops set up around the city streets, though not always on the same days or same times, and, of course, it is not a real test-drive...more of just a brief acclimatization. Cadillac had a loop set up several years ago, but has not had one since. Scion also did, until they folded. Jeep, of course, has the big, ride-along simulated 4WD off-road course inside. Ford has the dealer-test-drive-offer there each year to sign up for, with pre-paid Mastercards. Lincoln, now, instead of the cards, does a charity-contribution in your name, to a charity of your choice. (I'll definitely use the Ford offer on the Bronco if they get it to the dealerships in time for the card-offer).

Anyhow, for those of you going......Happy Show-Time.
smile.gif

https://www.washingtonautoshow.com

https://www.washingtonautoshow.com/s...fo/floor-maps/

2020-Floor-Map-Design-Daily-Insert-Version-2-1220-1-scaled.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes with Detroit moving it’s the first show of the year.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

D.C. is a substantially bigger show now than it was in the past, but it still begs the question of actual new-vehicle intros, which traditionally are either in Detroit or L.A. ....sometimes New York. I suspect that, with Detroit moving to June, we'll see more intros either at L.A. in November/December, or maybe even here in D.C. New York's show is in April, but that may (?) be a little late for some intros. I'm just guessing, though, so we'll see.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Don't forget Chicago, which begins a week or two after D.C. ends. That's probably when you'll see the next round of semi-significant debuts of the 2020 calendar year (after a few at CES in Las Vegas next week). Looking at the floor plans, it's noteworthy that not only Mercedes and Porsche, but BMW and Audi are absent as well. Yes, the great auto show exodus by the German luxury brands continues. In Miami last November, only Porsche was there among them. BMW and Mercedes left a couple of years ago, and Audi was absent for the first time.

More surprising to me is Volvo's presence in D.C. They were among the first to quit auto shows, and also among the first to exit from Miami.

Finally, a comment: to my understanding, the vast majority of U.S. auto shows (even most of the A-listers) are, in fact, put together by local car-dealer associations (Los Angeles probably being the most notable non-dealer show exception).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Joaquin Ruhi said:
More surprising to me is Volvo's presence in D.C. They were among the first to quit auto shows, and also among the first to exit from Miami..

Volvos are actually quite popular in the D.C. area, although they don't have that many local dealerships around here. Still, the brand still manages to sell in this area. Government and high-tech are the two big industries here, and the Volvo brand has long-been-associated with safety, which is why many government bureaucrats choose it.