Coronavirus

James

Admirer
Founding Member
Reaction score
LE Family!

Not trying to be political or hear everyone’s opinions on this or anything like that but just hope our LE world family stays safe during this time. I love hearing all the thoughts/opinions and facts from all of you over our various threads. Hopefully this will pass soon and we can continue to hear great future Lexus news!

shizhi

Follower
Reaction score
I am really worried, especially now that China has gradually recovered from the epidemic, but cases are constantly evolving abroad.
As a Chinese, I would like to talk about China's situation in this disease.
China closed down Wuhan on January 23 and banned people from entering and leaving. It has now been more than 50 days. Yesterday, there were only 8 new patients in Wuhan. There are basically no new patients in other parts of China. For example, 146 patients in my city, all of them have been discharged.
The Zhejiang Province where I live, on the day of Wuhan ’s blockade, set public health emergency response directly to the highest level and closed all public places.
Because it was in the Chinese New Year at the time, many people left Wuhan and returned to all parts of the country before the Wuhan blockade. Some of these people will have patients, and we have to find out them. Many foreigners may think that China has only blocked Wuhan. In fact, a few days later, cities in China began to block themselves. Everyone stayed at home to minimize all travel. Even in severe times, each family can only send one person out to buy food every two days. These measures are designed to minimize the spread of disease caused by human exposure before finding those patients. Especially when we found that some carriers of the virus may not have clinical symptoms, but they are also infectious.
Isolation allowed China to reduce the massive increase in patients, and the most important thing after that was to help Wuhan. At that time, Wuhan's own medical conditions could no longer afford to see a large number of patients in a short period of time. Doctors and nurses were overloaded with work and had little time to rest. On the second night of the Wuhan blockade, it was Chinese New Year's Eve, the day when the family reunited. China has dispatched medical workers to support Wuhan from other places. So far, more than 40,000 people have participated in support operations, including military hospital personnel.
After the shortage of personnel was resolved, the Chinese government quickly decided to build two temporary infectious disease hospitals. This model comes from Xiaotangshan Hospital in Beijing during the SARS period. The establishment of the new hospital has effectively alleviated the problem of insufficient beds in the original hospital, but this is not enough, because the situation in Wuhan is much more serious than in Beijing in 2003. We still don't have enough places to isolate patients, which can lead to further spread of the disease. To this end, we have requisitioned large public facilities, stadiums, exhibition halls, etc. in the city, and renovated these places to accommodate patients with mild symptoms.
At the same time, we also faced a shortage of medical supplies. Because it was a holiday in China at that time, almost all factories were closed. We must immediately resume the production of these supplies, such as masks, protective clothing, and goggles. China originally had a daily production capacity of 20 million masks. In this particular period, this number has now exceeded 100 million.
Through these efforts, the entire Chinese people worked together, and we eventually controlled the number of infected people to more than 80,000 and the death toll to more than 3,000. But remember, behind this figure, China has sacrificed economic development for more than a month, and places outside Wuhan are strictly segregated to avoid the emergence of a second Wuhan. Wuhan has survived by relying on other parts of China. Food, medical resources, and other sources continue to support Wuhan, so Wuhan has not failed. If China does have a second Wuhan, we dare not say whether China can still control the situation. In particular, medical resources are limited, and the spread of the disease is very fast. If there is no control, the number of infected people will exceed that of the cured, and the mortality rate will rise rapidly, just like the original Wuhan.
In the end, I hope that everyone abroad will stay at home as much as possible, reduce outing activities, purchase more food storage, reduce personnel exchanges, and wear masks in public places (I believe China will soon export to the outside world).
Regarding masks, because many virus carriers seem to be healthy, but they are still contagious, you can't guarantee that a person with a normal appearance is not a patient. They may be fine, but the virus may react to you. This is why, until now, the Chinese government still requires people to wear masks in public. This is a double protection measure, while protecting other people and yourself.

Will1991

Admirer
Reaction score
Portugal prime minister just announced:
-It's going to close all schools;
-All medical facilities will work strictly for urgencies (except newborns or pregnancy);
-Special measures to restrict (or even close) how many can be on the same place (pubs, restaurants, etc...);

My fiancé is a medical doctor and starting tomorrow is on duty specifically for this, with all vacations and leaves being withdrawn, going as far as asking for retired doctors to go back to work.

For now, the most updated info points to 78 infected and 1 recovered (in Portugal we're around 10M)

My employer send us (as much as possible) home to work online, canceled all trips and presencial meetings.

We've been building some tents for this:

This really is, a gigantic problem.

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Business are definitely not back to usual. While the epidemic is more or less fully contained in China we are just starting to feel the economic impact. That part is even more frightening than the disease itself. Poverty will kill more people than the virus.

Our business is less affected since we are not as sensitive to macroeconomics, but the service and investment sectors are absolutely devastated. The job loss is real, and people are saving money not spending them as they should after the disaster. It will be a slow recovery.

Even my less risky investments are in heavy loss territory, the recent stock market rally in China a giant bubble (institutions and foreign entities are driving prices up to take profit from independent investors). It will burst when we see the first quarter GDP numbers.

What's even more terrible for us is demand in the rest of the world crashing, making our export sector almost grinding to a halt. The West is going to use it as a perfect excuse to move manufacturing to SEA, Mexico, and India. We are all in this together now; nobody is going to have it easy.

On the other hand, now I feel really good I got rid of my real estate investment late last year, and especially pleased I didn't buy a LS500h which will be a million-Yuan liability for me.

I don't like the dirt cheap oil prices as it will be a major setback for the renewable industry we've been cultivating (and I personally benefit from) for a decade. But in difficult times people just want cheaper energy and I understand that.

Last edited:

Will1991

Admirer
Reaction score
Portugal already is in a state of emergency, but somehow we as a nation quickly reacted and quickly started to stay indoors.

But I'm here to share what Porto (Portugal second largest city) has been doing beyond what our government stated.

-> We've this first drive-through for Covid-19 testing, we make a call for our NHS and if it's deem necessary to be tested we don't even need to get outside (if we just show up, nothing happens, it must be booked by our NHS):

-> Some hotels started providing free accommodation for health care staff;

-> A textile businessman already changed a factory to do individual protection equipment

Truly is amazing how we managed to get our heads straight and just do what needs to be done.

It's heartbreaking to see this movie, Porto is so much full of life... But it must be done.

Rydo

Fan
Reaction score
Here in the UK, the sentiment is that we have been asleep at the wheel far too long. Our Prime Minister only announced a few days ago an effective lockdown of people's movements...but it's still not very strict. People seem to be doing it though, but almost no one wears a mask or gloves in public, so contamination risk in supermarkets is through the roof.

We had a girl 21 years old with no underlying health conditions die of it yesterday...worrying.

mikeavelli

Connoisseur
Staff member
Reaction score
In the USA we haven't taken it nearly serious enough and now our HealthCare system is about to be completely overwhelmed. We have way to many people saying its a HOAX and ignoring science and all the warnings. I fear we are our own worst enemy right now. I have clients that have been decimated with less business, many have done tremendous layoffs while others seem to be fine.

We are not taking containment seriously in the USA at all. A 2 trillion dollar package was passed last night but seemed more aimed for big business than small business and Americans. Not even sure how anyone can account for 2 trillion dollars.

Better days are coming but its scary.

My mom is in Dominica, a small island nation in the Caribbean. We have homes there. They had zero cases until a cruise ship arrived and someone from the U.K had it but didn't know it. Now 7 people have it. This nation has about 80,000 residents. It just shows how an isolated nation can get it and how contagious this virus is.

Rydo

Fan
Reaction score
In the USA we haven't taken it nearly serious enough
This is not a generic bash on Trump, but to say the country 'will be working again soon' is ridiculous. Italy has been crippled for around a month now with no end in sight, the UK are only about 2 weeks behind. Europe is like groundhog day - 1000 deaths per country per day with no end in sight. UKs daily death count doubles daily.

Reports of a 40 year old woman with no health issues only about 2 miles away from me dead today...it's terrifying guys. It affects people completely differently - there's nothing to say you won't die of it because of your age and general health.

shizhi

Follower
Reaction score
The number of confirmed cases in the United States exceeds 100,000, and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has also been diagnosed. The bad news continues.
In China, the increase in cases in recent days has basically come from immigrants. China now does not allow non-Chinese nationals to enter China, and it is also difficult for other Chinese who are abroad to return to China because the number of flights is strictly limited.
Wuhan has had no new cases for several days. The Chinese government expects that on April 8, Wuhan will lift the blockade and gradually resume normal life. It took 2.5 months from blocking to lifting the blockade in Wuhan, 2 months in Hubei Province, and one month to 1.5 months in other parts of China. Basically, the Chinese government believes that covid-19 has now been successfully controlled in China.
covid-19 is very contagious, the main reason is that many patients have the ability to infect others before they have the disease. This is why the government still requires us to wear masks.
The most terrible thing about covid-19 is not the disease itself. From the perspective of treatment in China, except for Wuhan, the mortality rate is not very high. However, the strong infectivity of covid-19 causes many people to get sick together in the same time, which will exceed the affordability of the medical system. Many patients fail to get the best treatment, their condition worsens, and their mortality rates rise. This is easy to see from a comparison of data from Wuhan and other parts of China.

krew

Expert
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's been really affecting me deeply, the stress is difficult to manage. I honestly try not to read more than the bare minimum, simply because it's a slippery slope between being informed and losing my s###.

Please stay safe, everyone.

mikeavelli

Connoisseur
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a generic bash on Trump, but to say the country 'will be working again soon' is ridiculous. Italy has been crippled for around a month now with no end in sight, the UK are only about 2 weeks behind. Europe is like groundhog day - 1000 deaths per country per day with no end in sight. UKs daily death count doubles daily.

Reports of a 40 year old woman with no health issues only about 2 miles away from me dead today...it's terrifying guys. It affects people completely differently - there's nothing to say you won't die of it because of your age and general health.
We lost a family friend last week in NYC to it. It happened so fast and it was taken seriously. Another good friend of mine didn't take it serious and also caught it and is struggling for two weeks. He is a pretty popular car guy and finally posted on Instagram how he wasn't careful and caught it and thought he was going to die.

Trump and his administration of loyal flunkies ignored science and the warnings and literally said "its the flu" and "under control" then turning it into "a democratic hoax". The man was golfing. Two years ago he disbanded the CDC Pandemic team. Funding was cut. Well here we are.

Ian Schmidt

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, I love you, but that pandemic team thing actually is not correct. Here's a Washington Post editorial by someone who was there: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

Similarly, Trump never said the virus itself was a hoax. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/13/biden-ad-manipulates-video-slam-trump/

I mean, I remember January when Democrats called Trump racist for restricting travel from China and encouraged mass gatherings in NYC and SF for Chinese New Year.

CRSKTN

Follower
Reaction score
Mike, I love you, but that pandemic team thing actually is not correct. Here's a Washington Post editorial by someone who was there: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

Similarly, Trump never said the virus itself was a hoax. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/13/biden-ad-manipulates-video-slam-trump/

I mean, I remember January when Democrats called Trump racist for restricting travel from China and encouraged mass gatherings in NYC and SF for Chinese New Year.
Ian, sorry, but you're not going to get anywhere defending Trump's performance in this situation.

Is your argument "he never literally said the exact words 'covid-19 is a hoax"?

The only way you could defend Trump at this point is if you're fine with all the other horrific, hateful, bigoted, incompetent behavior.
Really, really shameful. And I don't think responding to Mike's info about losing loved ones with "fake news, trump xyz" is pretty heartless.

People are dying from this. People need to get out of the far right, fox news, rush limbaugh bubble and return to reality before this situation cripples our society.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even in the Chinese community, the annual CNY celebrations didn't happen here in America, even before the country starting panicking. Even my mom tries to stay away from the businesses that have a lot of other Chinese just because the transmission to her would seem higher. To the Chinese here and even those in Asia, wearing masks became a practice a decade ago.

If you want far right viewpoints, I see a lot of that on Toyotanation lol.

CRSKTN

Follower
Reaction score
We lost a family friend last week in NYC to it. It happened so fast and it was taken seriously. Another good friend of mine didn't take it serious and also caught it and is struggling for two weeks. He is a pretty popular car guy and finally posted on Instagram how he wasn't careful and caught it and thought he was going to die.

Trump and his administration of loyal flunkies ignored science and the warnings and literally said "its the flu" and "under control" then turning it into "a democratic hoax". The man was golfing. Two years ago he disbanded the CDC Pandemic team. Funding was cut. Well here we are.
I'm so sorry to hear this, Mike. Best wishes to you and yours. Especially with a family, you're worried about more than just yourself here. I have family in a hard hit country abroad. People dropping in the streets outside of hospitals and nobody cares to help, bad. It is a terrible situation.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who want to try and defend this administration through semantics. I had someone in my life through work who was terrible for it. Every single criticism, you could see the conservative "defend-people-who-look-like-me" shortcut circuits in his brain activating. Once you drilled him down on it enough, he'd admit to crossing the street to avoid black people out of fear or his views on "white genocide" as a result of "SJWs".

It's really sad to say, and will possibly offend some, but I have these people in my own family and life. It really is just fearful people wanting to justify the world to themselves so they can feel secure/justified in their privileged positions and keep a blind eye to these issues. Or ignorant, bitter, hateful, fearful bigots. Plenty of those too, as a visible minority myself in a place that's not super tolerant.

"It was unavoidable" is an easy answer to accept if you're not suffering for it. Or to argue semantics. Or how this one time he didn't literally say the words "xyz" to make your point. The bar is always moving, the argument never ending, because they don't want to admit to themselves deep down that they are possibly self-centered, or hateful, or plain bad people.

Again sorry, people are losing loved ones to this situation, and i've lost loved ones to this sort of rhetoric in the past (whether fatal negligence of crisis', government abduction/torture, etc). This is not a nice subject but I can't be silent out of politeness to people defending Trump or making excuses anymore.

Did Trump Administration Fire the US Pandemic Response Team?

CRSKTN

Follower
Reaction score
Even in the Chinese community, the annual CNY celebrations didn't happen here in America, even before the country starting panicking. Even my mom tries to stay away from the businesses that have a lot of other Chinese just because the transmission to her would seem higher. To the Chinese here and even those in Asia, wearing masks became a practice a decade ago.

If you want far right viewpoints, I see a lot of that on Toyotanation lol.
This whole calling it the "China Flu" bullshit is so ignorant and dangerous, too. There needs to be some sort of broad, grassroots effort to protect people of visible asian ethnicity against bigoted morons looking to lash out.

Ian Schmidt

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that escalated quickly. I wasn't defending Trump, I was simply swatting some well-traveled social media falsehoods and noting that politicians on all sides are terrible. Every government on Earth has handled this poorly in some way at this point except South Korea and Japan.